Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Bus driver prevents woman from jumping off a bridge

Video in the link:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ridge/3316227/

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — A bus driver is being hailed as a hero for preventing a woman from jumping off a bridge over a Buffalo highway.

About 20 McKinley High School students had just stepped aboard Darnell Barton's Metro bus Oct. 18 when he spotted a woman who had climbed over a guardrail and stood leaning over the afternoon traffic zipping along the Scajaquada Expressway below.

With cars and an occasional pedestrian continuing to pass by her, Barton wasn't sure at first that the woman was in distress.

People like this who can take a few moments out of their normal life and actually intervene to help others are the real heroes IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    People like this who can take a few moments out of their normal life and actually intervene to help others are the real heroes IMO.
    I disagree, this woman wasn't going to jump anyway. Anyone who stands on the edge of a bridge waiting for someone to come talk to them is just looking for attention, she had no intention of jumping off, if she planned on doing that she'd have done so right away.

Regardless, I certainly wouldn't have bothered. There are 7+ billion people in the world, not worth my time to go help someone that doesn't want to be here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I disagree, this woman wasn't going to jump anyway. Anyone who stands on the edge of a bridge waiting for someone to come talk to them is just looking for attention, she had no intention of jumping off, if she planned on doing that she'd have done so right away.

Regardless, I certainly wouldn't have bothered. There are 7+ billion people in the world, not worth my time to go help someone that doesn't want to be here.
    Well, thread's over. Moral is screw other people, they're probably faking it anyway. And if they're not, there's already plenty of 'em.

I... what? No offense, but this seems like a horrible outlook to be holding. That person could have been seriously working up the nerve to actually do it, you don't just say "eh, they probably won't do it and if they do who cares?"

You're right up until that person actually does it. Then someone has died needlessly.

Anyway, good on the bus driver.

Deleted

Aaaaand then you wake up, a quick look at mmochamps for an interesting thread while sipping coffee and you stumble into this.

Video in the link:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ridge/3316227/

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — A bus driver is being hailed as a hero for preventing a woman from jumping off a bridge over a Buffalo highway.

About 20 McKinley High School students had just stepped aboard Darnell Barton's Metro bus Oct. 18 when he spotted a woman who had climbed over a guardrail and stood leaning over the afternoon traffic zipping along the Scajaquada Expressway below.

With cars and an occasional pedestrian continuing to pass by her, Barton wasn't sure at first that the woman was in distress.

Thank you for posting that. It's nice to see these positive gems on the MMO-C forums once in a while.

Deleted
    I think we both know who is here looking for attention. And it isn't the good one.

Good job buss driver.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, thread's over. Moral is screw other people, they're probably faking it anyway. And if they're not, there's already plenty of 'em.
    Doesn't really matter if the person was looking for attention. It's not worth risking(Risking the fact if the woman close to the bridge and jumping off was an attention whore or not). You don't try and go "Oh it's for attention HUR HUR."

Sometimes people just need help.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Doesn't really matter if the person was looking for attention. It's not worth risking(Risking the fact if the woman close to the bridge and jumping off was an attention whore or not). You don't try and go "Oh it's for attention HUR HUR."

Considering what I said about the article in my first post, I'm surprised you didn't realize I was being facetious in response to the asinine reply I had quoted.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post

Isn't that what they say about all suicides? To never assume it's for attention because, most of the time someone say's they're going to do it...they're serious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering what I said about the article in my first post, I'm surprised you didn't realize I was being facetious in response to the asinine reply I had quoted.
    I wanted to make sure you got what I was saying. Not the first time people have misunderstood me >_<

Isn't that what they say about all suicides? To never assume it's for attention because, most of the time someone say's they're going to do it...they're serious.

Indeed, but not according to MMO-Champion Forum heroes. I always hear "Oh it's for attention and they won't be doing much success in life."

Vexes me greatly.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account

Aaaaaannnnd congratulations, asshole of the day award goes to.... Rucati!

The driver made a good call in my opinion
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Deleted

My sentiments exactly. There are very few occasions where I can empathise with someone in the process or that has taken their own life. I wouldn't have bothered with her either.

People that seriously want to kill themselves don't look for attention and they certainly don't say they want to kill themselves. The ones that do it are 9/10 the guy that smiled and greeted you every morning, the one no one suspected to be found hanging in his shed.
    Last edited by mmoc1204399cdd; 2013-10-31 at 12:36 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    My sentiments exactly. There are very few occasions where I can empathise with someone in the process or that has taken their own life. I wouldn't have bothered with her either.

People that seriously want to kill themselves don't look for attention and they certainly don't say they want to kill themselves. The ones that do it are 9/10 the guy that smiled and greeted you every morning, the one no one suspected to be found hanging in his shed.
    A vast majority of people who are helped when they are about to commit suicide/fail to commit suicide NEVER TRY AGAIN.

That alone is reason to try and help. "She was faking it! Attention!" There are a LOT of people who jump off bridges...

And almost everyone who commits suicides show signs. It's rarely just a "Oh he was happy then poof..."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    A vast majority of people who are helped when they are about to commit suicide/fail to commit suicide NEVER TRY AGAIN.

That alone is reason to try and help. "She was faking it! Attention!" There are a LOT of people who jump off bridges...

And almost everyone who commits suicides show signs. It's rarely just a "Oh he was happy then poof..."
    So let them jump. There are people in the world far worse off than them. Suicide is an incredibly selfish act, almost criminal when you consider the lives of others in this world that aren't nearly as privileged.

So let them jump. There are people in the world far worse off than them. Suicide is an incredibly selfish act, almost criminal when you consider the lives of others in this world that aren't nearly as privileged.
    People compare them self to the people around them. neighbors, those they work with and friends.
    Not an arbitrary kid in Africa in the bush, that don't know the riches of having economical trouble, despite him being hungry at times, and not enjoying the mosun.

Had the same view as you when i was a kid. Found it i was wrong, when i grew up and learned more about people. Personally i wouldn't do it, because it's not for me, but i don't judge people that try, or cry for help as harshly as a did.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

15+ Year Old Account
    People are all different.
    Have a friend that can drink more, or less than you? How about one that gets cold faster? Or perhaps someone who has a mental disorder you don't?
    Emotional tolerance is the same.

Yes, there are people worse off. But that doesn't mean you should condemn someone to death because they aren't able to handle the same amount. It's not a selfish thing, they get to a point where, in their mind, the only thing they can think of is a way out of the pains they are in(Can be physical or mental), and they only see one way out of said pains. Normally if you help them and give them more time to think, they find other ways.

It's not a "Oh well I have it soooo much worse than everyone else!" it's a "I just can't take anymore."

Think of it as a older lady who needs to cross the road. You wouldn't go "Oh she's so selfish for walking slow!", you'd understand that she's old and simply can't walk faster alone.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    These two points made me laugh since I read them whilst accompanied by a picture of Stalin next to them.

Seemed.. ironic.

OT: My best friend committed suicide and at no point ever gave the slightest inclination he was contemplating it. This is also the case with one of my cousins that did aswell, noone knew except his closest friend that he had those thoughts, he acted normal then BAM, dead.

Yet everyone I've ever met or heard of that has made a big public deal about wanting to do it, never has.

I'm very strong of the opinion of people making a big spectacle about it are just doing it for attention, the ones that actually do it rarely tell anyone, or only very few in private.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2013-10-31 at 01:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of psychiatrists and psychologists in this thread. Shouldn't you guys be at work?