Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Yet another Garrosh10 help request thread.

First and foremost: www[dot]worldoflogs[dot]com/guilds/270809/

Our 10 man group consists of:
    • BM Monk, Blood DK tanks
    • Fury Warrior, Ret Paladin [One unfilled spot as of last night that used to belong to an Enhancement shaman] as Melee
    • BM/SV Hunter, Frost Mage Ranged
    • HPally, Resto Druid and Disc Priest Healers

I know the whole deal with 2 vs 3 healing, and we're going back in tomorrow with a Boomkin and Warlock (In the open spot and in place of the disc) to give 2 healing a shot.

I know we've had a lot of stupid wipes ect,ect, but we have had a handful of what seem like perfectly executed attempts, but I still feel like something's missing. We haven't hit a wall like this as a raid group for as long as I can remember.

I know a lot of our problems lies therein the fact that we haven't had many attempts where people have been able to see / learn the abilities and such, and especially if we're 3 healing, dps needs to step it up, but I feel like even that won't be enough.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, I'm getting tired of surfing the same forum posts night after night looking for something that can help us get past this and start on heroics.

Thanks in advance.

First off, you should use bloodlust in the final phase because you need to burn him quickly then. Second, where exactly are you wiping? You had alot of early wipes and 2-3 late ones, not sure what to think of that.

But some general tips;
    In phase 1 only kill 1 engineer so you can knock all adds into the Iron Star. Pop a defensive cooldown everytime the iron star hits(Personals or Devotion Aura etc.) That way you can focus alot more on the boss.
    In the transition phase make sure that everyone (or almost everyone) gets the 50% dmg reduce.
    When the empowered whirl comes, tell your dps/tanks to take one add each and kill it by themselves, if adds do get emporered, stun them/let the tanks tank them and focus them fast.

Here are a few general bullet points that I feel will help you, from someone who has done it now a few times.

General Advice:

This boss is a step up from the rest, and you'll need to be aware of that. He isn't that hard once you get a flow going, but getting into that sweet spot is made insanely harder if people are failing to communicate, or they're not making the most of their Gear, Gems, Enchants, Reforges and Rotation. Ensure everyone does a little research about their best options for this fight.

As you mentioned, two healing is the best way forward. As a Mistweaver (Monk Healer), I loved two healing this encounter, and it made it so much easier in the long term!

Phase One:

• A single ranged DPS (Hunter) should handle the Thrown Weapon / Defile. It has fairly low Health, so it isn't their critical priority, but they need to ensure it is completed before the next one arrives.

• During this phase, have a Ranged DPS take down one of the engineers on the side of the room you're raid is not stacking on for the weapon. In 90% of the cases, the Iron Star will sweep through and finish off any of the almost dead adds and / or, deal a large chunk of damage to the Shaman.

• During Whirling Corruption, simply take one or two steps backwards. The damage it does is reduced based on your distance from the boss, so the further you are, but still able to do Healing / DPS, the better!

• Have a clear and set out system for handling the Thrown Weapon. We stack at a marked area, and move to another marked area (Just to the right of the initial marker), we then continue to stack there, and let our Warlock take down the weapon. Once the next thrown weapon comes in, we simply move back to the original position, so we're bouncing back and forth between two points.

• Interrupting the Shaman is important, but making sure you interrupt the right spell is even more important. Don't worry about interrupting the Chain Lightning, even when two healing, the damage it does is pathetic, and not a problem. Only interrupt the Chain Heal!

Transition Phases:

Depending on the phases you get, this advice will change.

• Organise groups that'll split in the appropriate realms. Have one healer on each side, for obvious reasons.

• Ensure the majority of the players get the damage reduction (Light) debuff. In the Terrace of Endless Springs, this is easy enough as they drop small little golden orbs you run through, but in the other two realms, they're large orbs that explode and impact the group. Try to get as many into the large orbs ASAP.

• Do not stand within his main attack, the damage is an instant kill, and beyond that the damage overall can get a little intense if enough people don't have the damage reduction debuff.

Phase Two:

• From this point onwards, you'll want to largely ignore the Thrown Weapon / Defile. Have a ranged DPS put a small amount of damage on it, such as a DoT, to shrink it a little, but don't focus it. Simply stand on the side of the weapon, and move with it as is shrinks, and keep moving around the room. This'll mean the room will fill with them, but as you do a little bit of damage, they'll shrink, and you'll push the phase fast enough that it won't be an issue.

• Make use of the whole room here. Don't be afraid to move the boss, and keep him at a safe distance from the raid. You've got quite a large space to use, so use it!

• Mind Controls are a pain in the ass, and it is completely possible for both your Healers to be controlled. Either way, Healers are priority one, with Interrupts being vital here. You MUST interrupt the controlled player (Stuns also work). Nuke them to get them out, but don't DoT them up, otherwise they might die as soon as they leave the control.

• During the Whirling Corruption, make good use of Raid Cooldowns, such as Devotion Aura, Health Stones, Hymn, and such. There is a fair bit of damage going around now, be warned! During the corruption itself, because you're two healing, the DPS is very high so their focus should be on surviving only, not doing DPS.

• Have everyone stand away from each other during the Whirling Corruption, so the adds are not stacked and kill your add as soon as you can. Tanks must not taunt their adds, as if they die next to each other, they become empowered and deal massive damage. Simply nuke the adds away from each other and stack again for the Thrown Weapon.

Phase Three:

Phase Three will occur most likely before your third / second Realm, based on how good your DPS is.

• During this phase, as soon as the boss gets topped up, pop Bloodlust and go mental on the DPS. Do not pop Bloodlust until the boss has transitioned into the phase, otherwise the DPS is wasted as he'll heal anyway.

• During this phase, all the previous mechanics are still in play, but now you're purely ignoring them, all except the Mind Control. Have the off-tank take the adds and just handle them, but don't kill them. Your Healers will be stressed here, so pop cooldowns.

• Avoid Weapon Throws, and pop all cooldowns needed to stay alive. Remember you'll get the Whirling Corruption still, so staying away from the boss is still advised, along with moving away from the Weapon Throw.

Overall, the boss is about finding your rhythm. I'd like to help you more, but there is so much going on it is hard to explain in text. If you have questions, I hope I can help, but that is generally the best guideline I can offer you.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, we spent the first night in there not even seeing p2, and since then, we've consistently seen the second intermission on the pulls where we don't derp. I feel as though it's when we get to the empowered corruption that everyone looses momentum.

- - - Updated - - -

And yeah, phase 1, we have our disc priest taking care of the engineer, our monk tank "tanking" the adds (pulling them in range of the dk's blood boil and losing aggro)

I'm also trying to get everyone into a habit of not stunning MC's unless it's their only option, just so they don't get too comfortable trying to stun when we get into p3.

Any chance any of you know the ropes for dk tanking this tier? Trying to convince mine to use his tanking cloak instead of the dps one seems to be futile and would love a valid argument.

Quote Originally Posted by levi10607 View Post
    Well, we spent the first night in there not even seeing p2, and since then, we've consistently seen the second intermission on the pulls where we don't derp. I feel as though it's when we get to the empowered corruption that everyone looses momentum.
    What exactly about the situation do you feel is going wrong? Too much damage, not handling the adds? We need a bit more information.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by levi10607 View Post
    Any chance any of you know the ropes for dk tanking this tier? Trying to convince mine to use his tanking cloak instead of the dps one seems to be futile and would love a valid argument.
    Tell him to use the Tanking Cloak, or find another Guild. When you're progressing at this stage you need to get used to the mechanics, and that means survival is more important then a little added Tank DPS. Once you've got this on farm, and it becomes easier, then you can start messing around a bit, but until that point, there is no reason for him to use the DPS Cloak.

He is being selfish and rude by insisting, and unless he can prove that the DPS Cloak provides more damage reduction, it's a waste for him to use it.

If your DK doesn't use the tanking cloak (and won't) you should do everything in your power to bench or kick him. It's insanely useful on that fight for progression. the boss really does hit extremely hard and the chance of a spike death is moderate to high.

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    • During this phase, as soon as the boss gets topped up, pop Bloodlust and go mental on the DPS. Do not pop Bloodlust until the boss has transitioned into the phase, otherwise the DPS is wasted as he'll heal anyway.
    Not sure this part is 'fully' accurate. As is know, when the Boss hits 10% he goes and heals to 35%. From what I've seen on our Attempts/Kill, whatever % you take from Garrosh as he is moving to heal, its subtracted from his heal.

Hopefully numbers better explains what I'm trying to say.. lol

Boss 10% + Transition = Boss 35%
    Boss 10% + 25% Heal = Boss 35%

If you Hero/Lust(or plainly burn the Boss)

Boss 10% + 25% Heal - 5% Burn = Boss 30%
    Boss 10% + 25% Heal - 10% Burn(Hero) = Boss 25%

Our kill, we had Garrosh at 27% when he finished his transition to P3.

- - - Updated - - -

Tell him to use the Tanking Cloak, or find another Guild. When you're progressing at this stage you need to get used to the mechanics, and that means survival is more important then a little added Tank DPS. Once you've got this on farm, and it becomes easier, then you can start messing around a bit, but until that point, there is no reason for him to use the DPS Cloak.

He is being selfish and rude by insisting, and unless he can prove that the DPS Cloak provides more damage reduction, it's a waste for him to use it.
    Voodooo has it 100% correct.

Tanks Job(#1 Priority / Role) is to Survive. Do whatever is within his power to last as long as possible. Healers are there to 'help' the Tank accomplish his Job.
    Last edited by Drairon; 2013-10-31 at 01:23 PM.

Deleted
    He indeed heals for a static amount, rather than up to a certain point.

[*] Mind Controls are a pain in the ass, and it is completely possible for both your Healers to be controlled. Either way, Healers are priority one, with Interrupts being vital here. You MUST interrupt the controlled player (Stuns also work). Nuke them to get them out, but don't DoT them up, otherwise they might die as soon as they leave the control.[*] During this phase, as soon as the boss gets topped up, pop Bloodlust and go mental on the DPS. Do not pop Bloodlust until the boss has transitioned into the phase, otherwise the DPS is wasted as he'll heal anyway.

2 points I'd like to make.
    1) Stuns won't work depending on how high the bosses energy is (can't stun empowered MCs), so don't depend on a stun rotation, depend on an interrupt rotation.
    2) If you have 5-10 seconds until a whirling corruption and he is at 13%~, you can heroism and nuke him to avoid it. He heals a flat percentage in the p2->p3 transition. So that 4-5 Seconds when he is just standing there channeling is *free* dps you can get on him with heroism, no need to wait until he heals to use it. He heals like 20-25% or something every time (idk, I don't check the numbers) but keep in mind that it is still beneficial to use heroism a few seconds early if you have to.

Not trying to be a jerk, just want to point out some things that could be useful, but all in all it was explained pretty well by VooDoo.

- - - Updated - - -

And as for the DK, I don't play mine anymore, but my buddy told me of some way that like..DKs in 10 man can reach both a soft mastery and haste cap for essentially constant Death/Rune Strikes resulting in a lot of dps and leaving room for choice when it comes to the cloak. But idk why anyone is really using the Tank cloak on normals, especially a DK that has a talent that essentially is the cloak. I main a brewmaster and the only time I use the tank cloak is on Heroic Iron Jugg and it is just for safety precautions, it usually doesn't even proc.

Looked at a log(10m59s), wanted to go over and comment on the Hunter, but logs are still broken.("Melee" attacks aren't being counted in WoL currently(bug). So can't see things like Stampede and pet damage.)

I have a question. Why drop the Disc Priest in favor for a Boomkin/Lock? Is one the Priest Alts? Are none of the healers able to go OS DPS?

Reason I ask, is that I consider Barrier, PainSup, SS/PoH far superior than Ironbark, Tranq. If I had to drop a healer to bring another DPS, it'd likely be the RDruid, as the Paladins Devo Aura is highly favorable too.

To ease the healing:
    • Everyone should be using their personal defensive CDs during whirls.
    • Healers should setup a CD rotation as well, including adding Devo Aura. (1) Healer CD + (1) Devo Aura.
    • DK tank should use his CDs more often. IBF, AMS, VB could of been used a lot more than he did. He might also consider going with AMZ instead of Purgatory(use the damn tank cloak!), so he can have AMZ for Whirl, melee can stay in a bit longer to DPS the boss.
    • Warrior has RallyCry, can use it in P1(which he didn't) for Ironstar for a bit of healer help. Also has Demo Banner, didn't see it used in log. Can be used for Whirls as well.
    • Hunter(my class) should be the one killing the Siege adds. Spec'd into lower CD on Deter/Disengage, he can Disengage there and back + Aspect. If you bring a Warlock next time, he can Disenage there, then portal back for (1) of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Draghonfourt View Post
    He indeed heals for a static amount, rather than up to a certain point.
    While this is true, my guild has on several occasions managed to get him down to 0% while we popped Bloodlust on him, and once he is at 0% that is wasted DPS. Overall, it's probably better to just wait those few seconds, doesn't really seem worth it if your guild DPS is too high, and besides, those few seconds won't really make a massive difference to a guild that can keep their calm and focus.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have done a lot of statistical analysis on this fight as my guild has struggled with it as well. We can one shot every boss in SoO and clear to garrosh in under 3 hours then we get hung up on him.

Your chance of success goes moderately down if you get to a third intermission phase. In fact, you really need to push him to phase 3 before the third empowered whirling corruption happens. To that end, do whatever you can to maximize your dps to push him into phase 3.

Also, as an aside because I'm also a brewmaster tank and this was a gotcha for me, the Ox statue goes away during intermissions and needs to be reset, doesn't look like your tank is resetting it so he's giving up free heals there. I could be wrong though and he just got a really low proc rate.

Deleted
    While this is true, my guild has on several occasions managed to get him down to 0% while we popped Bloodlust on him, and once he is at 0% that is wasted DPS. Overall, it's probably better to just wait those few seconds, doesn't really seem worth it if your guild DPS is too high, and besides, those few seconds won't really make a massive difference to a guild that can keep their calm and focus.
    Strongly doubt a guild progressing on it will have enough dps to get him to 1HP that quick, nor will it likely be clean kill so anything that gives them more dps should be considered.

I'm also trying to get everyone into a habit of not stunning MC's unless it's their only option
    Last edited by hasekmpp; 2013-10-31 at 04:44 PM.