Connecting SLI GTX580s to psu

Having a major brain fart and googles not really helping me out that much

Had to pull a GPU out of my system about a year ago, for my other computer to save some cash.. now im looking to put that card back into my main rig and having a mental road block on reconnecting the shit.

Put both cards back into the system, one 8 pin molex from my AX850 psu into each and bridged the two cards together with the provided SLI strap.... and I wasnt getting any output to my monitor

I don't remember taking the cables out, but should both PCI-E power connection ports be connected, or is one eight pin to each card okay, while leaving the 6 pin connector empty (GTX 580 cards have two connectors on the end, ones 8 pins, ones 6 pins... do both require a cable or is the 8 pins okay)

I gotta stop drinkin in the afternoon.
    Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6 ghz - Corsair H100 - 16GB DDR3-1600 - SLI GTX 580 - Crucial 240GB

Corsair Obsidian 650D - WD 2TB Black Storage

You need to connect both the 6 pin and the 8 pin cables.

Turns out the whole issues was me forgetting that I had tucked the other two cables in behind the hdd enclosure rack... traced out my wires to find em tucked away.

Didnt make sense at the time, didn't have slots available on my modular psu for two extra cables... and couldnt find extra cables in my pc parts bin I normally use for shit like that.

Memory like a siv. Thanks!
    Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6 ghz - Corsair H100 - 16GB DDR3-1600 - SLI GTX 580 - Crucial 240GB

Corsair Obsidian 650D - WD 2TB Black Storage