Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    Age of Wushu already did with 20 mil players.
    20 million players my ass. 20 million accounts maybe, that's the sum of all accounts ever made, mostly being ones made to try the game and never logged in again.

I find this is a common lie by f2p online games. They lie by saying they got millions of players when in fact they don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Possibly, if it doesn't become another instanced-based MMO. The destructible voxel-based environment and "action combat" are good hooks.

2. It's already hated by "loyal fans", so that can't be a hook.

3. A Chinese-developed MH ported to US. A big no. That's what MH4 is for.

4. Never heard of it.

5. Never heard of it.

6. Slowly proving to be a generic, unintuitive clone. Their marketing ploys are pretty tight and might pull in customers because of it.

7. Never heard of it.

8. By the time we actually get it, Asia will be done with it. Though there's chances of getting our own content to make up for it.

9. Unicorn hunt. (not literally, figuratively)

10. Never heard of it.

11. It flopped once, having low appeal outside Japan. Now it's going places, although people are tired of subscription-based games and there's still room for improvement.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

I love the person who LOL'd at Everquest Next when it is the only MMO on the horizon looking to offer players a new MMO experience. I think it will be massively successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulanae View Post
    I love the person who LOL'd at Everquest Next when it is the only MMO on the horizon looking to offer players a new MMO experience. I think it will be massively successful.
    All new MMO's say they will offer players a new experience. Can't really base that as an argument for it. Who knows though. EQ was one of the biggest MMO's before WoW took it down. maybe they can strike gold a second time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    I don't think so. I think what will happen is that Blizzard keeps WoW going for a few more years, then opts to try and replace it with Project Titan (even if they said it was supposed to exist alongside WoW), hoping that the players from WoW carry over, only to find that Titan is not as much of a success as WoW was. I think WoW was just really a streak of luck. A fortunate timing plus good gameplay -- one that they can't recreate with other MMOs threatening to flood the market. So I think Titan will never hit over 6 million -- if even close to that, and WoW no longer being active, and people having moved on (refusing to play Titan or just not liking it -that- much) will be WoW's "death", which leaves the market open for new MMOs to grapple the player base.
    If no other MMO manages to rise in popularity as quickly as WoW did with the listed above, then this will be the fallout that comes out of WoW's decline and eventual shutdown.

I have no hopes for Titan, nothing has been released and its been in development for years, and just being canned and redone from scratch recently isn't helping its already nonexistent publicity.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    All new MMO's say they will offer players a new experience. Can't really base that as an argument for it. Who knows though. EQ was one of the biggest MMO's before WoW took it down. maybe they can strike gold a second time.
    I am not basing it off what they said. I am basing it off the tech demos I have seen.

No MMO will become anywhere near as successful as WoW was...Until virtual reality. I'm honestly convinced no MMO will ever pass 12M active subs at one time until they release a fully imersive virtual MMO (see Sword Art Online or any other similar concept). Then I can see another superpower rise and surpass WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Make it a poll and you'll see better results. I think Elder Scrolls Online will become the biggest MMO to date. Extremely big and loyal RPG fanbase not counting MMO players. Also, it's across 3 platforms. Yep.
    yeah the elder scrolls game that isnt made by bethesda is going to be SO awesome. keep dreaming
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Xalzel View Post
    No MMO will become anywhere near as successful as WoW was...Until virtual reality. I'm honestly convinced no MMO will ever pass 12M active subs at one time until they release a fully imersive virtual MMO (see Sword Art Online or any other similar concept). Then I can see another superpower rise and surpass WoW.
    I think its impossible to get non biased answers while asking these kinds of questions on a WoW fansite. I think it will be possible once the world gets to a higher population saying its virtually impossible is just crazy almost fanboyism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, WoW will likely only die when Blizzard kills it. My money is on another Blizzard MMO or EQ next. As much as I want Wildstar to succeed, I don't think it will take off like WoW did.

The rest of the list will be lucky to break 3 million.

The reason Skyrim was so bugged was the infinite moddable vastness integrated with the Creation Kit, not to mention they worked out almost all the kinks was just rough at release. Also, it's being made by Zenimax Online, not Bethesda.
    The console version was just as bugged, and it lacked the modding toolset and had the advantage to being the primary platform for the game. And Zenimax has only managed to alienate TES's serious fans with their generic gameplay, Tolkienizing the Mer races and setting, ignoring the meta lore(the biggest draw to lore fans) and continual "Transcription errors". They best they can hope for is to not taint the legacy of the Single-player series like KOTOR Online did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make it a poll and you'll see better results. I think Elder Scrolls Online will become the biggest MMO to date. Extremely big and loyal RPG fanbase not counting MMO players. Also, it's across 3 platforms. Yep.
    The "loyal" fanbase seems mostly against the idea of an MMO actually. I don't think ESO will do well at all, especially with it's subscription base.

Deleted
    very much doubt it, Blizz has way to big of a market share, and WoW in particular has been going on for 10 years. Thats a Hard target to beat.
    However, The Division is one game I am excited for PC release, Urban MMO with Current Weaponry and PVP ? Yes please.

Deleted
    probably none of the ones you listed, its going to happen eventually, but i dont think it will be any of those.

Of course it's going to happen some day, nothing lasts forever. The question is when, doubt it's anytime soon though.

I wont lie, I'd like to think one of the MMOs to be coming would do it so well that it would take a large amount of MMO players to it. But I just don't think it will happen, not anytime soon. As long as blizzard is pushing out content I think they are going to stay on top of the MMO market. Blizzard will stop making content for wow at some point, and that's whenever "titan" or a new MMO that they put out will become there main focus. Some people would say that they will still put out WoW content when that times comes, but if they think they can have two MMOs going at full speed then they will derail(imo)!

WoW is not even the #1 MMO to me, I don't judge that by just the amount of subs alone

The reason Skyrim was so bugged was the infinite moddable vastness integrated with the Creation Kit, not to mention they worked out almost all the kinks was just rough at release. Also, it's being made by Zenimax Online, not Bethesda.
    Skyrim is bugged because of the number of scrips and variables that run in the background and the amount of shit that the game keeps track of clogging up the game engine. Eventually, like an old car, it breaks down no matter how clean you run it. Even the vanilla game files have dirty references in them that require BOSS to fix.

The ONLY way ESO will do well enough to remain sub based is if it is not a theme park MMO. If it's just a bunch of phased and tethered quest zones, I can imagine getting bored within a month.

If Blizzard do their job well, Titan (or whatever it's real name will be) should replace it. The really interesting question is: will Titan be free to play (since Blizzard seems to be moving in that direction) or it will be sub based MMO? And, how will either of those affect it's popularity, long term success and playerbase (LoL is super profitable despite being f2p). Though, seeing as Titan was recently reset and a lot of devs have been moved back to WoW (fun fact, majority of WoW's vanilla and TBC devs got moved to Titan near the end of TBC and they were largely replaced by new people) I don't think Titan will come out in the near future.

It remains to be seen will WoW hold out as the top MMO (or one of the top MMOs) untill Titan does finally come out. Everquest Next looks really interesting and it has fully destructible terrain (which means, play it in the first week if you want to see grass because all of it will be blown up) and seems like an improvement to WoW in every respect.

My prediction: repeat of the history. Everquest Next will come out, it will outshine WoW and get more players to EQN. Then, when EverQuest Next looks secure in it's position as the top dog and it is the the MMO to beat, Blizzard will release Titan and it will be 2004 all over again, mass migration from EverQuest Next to Titan.

Deleted
    Problem is what describes being number one?

Most subs? Hard because most games right now are F2P.
    Playerbase population? Hard to say, since a lot of MMOs don't release such numbers, yet we did hear Age of Wushu clocking in at 20 million, so eccentially WoW is already beaten.
    Popularity? Youtube, streamers, adds, machinimas, talks on the street, common knowledge from even nongamers?

I think there's 2 things that can happen.

The first is that once WoW subs fall below a certain number and it's no longer considered at the top, the other top mmos at the time will be so close in numbers that who's at the top won't really matter, but of course people will argue that it does. Plus with the different subscription models and less and less p2p games it'll be harder to determine who is truly at the top.

The other thing I think could happen is some developer pulls off the same exact thing that WoW does, and somehow creates a game everyone wants to play. I think MMOs right now are pretty stale. Fun to play for a little bit, but there's something about them that just doesn't give you the same experience as when you first played WoW or really any other older MMO. The problem with this now though is that everyone has been expecting a game like that to come in and take over for what like the last 4-5 big MMOs that have been released? Nobody's been able to do it yet, but nobody has progressed the genre far enough to earn it.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2013-10-31 at 10:23 PM.