Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
... LastLast
  1. #81
    i don't think that any game will take the #1 spot without blizz completely fucking up their game and i highly doubt that will happen anytime soon.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    4. Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms
    WTF is this? I've not heard of this before now and since googling it brings up "coming in 2013" I'm going to guess that it won't really be doing much but banking on the name.

    On topic. yes wow will fall, eventually. IMO the top spot can already be passed, but as that's mostly a majority rule thing and WoW still has the largest amount of people playing, it's a biased vote.

    Waiting for games to stop being one/two trick ponies as their main thing for playing.

  3. #83
    Frist, you shouldn't put F2P games there to compare with a sub based game (EQ:Next is said to be F2P, not sure about others).

    Now that's out of the way, I think it is def possible for a sub based MMO to be bigger than wow one day but that would require an amazing polish. By that, I mean no MMO will beat WoW right off the bat. If the MMO survives for a while and is gaining steam then it is possible.

    Main reason why I think this way is because there are so many different MMOs out there now. Back then, if you didn't play WoW, you'd have to go with the asian grind MMO (or EQ) which many people didn't enjoy. But now, if you didn't play "the next big MMO", you could still play a variety of different MMOs out there. So in order for a new MMO to get big, they will need to survive the test of time through multiple expansions.

    In conclusion, don't expect anything on your list (or pretty much ever until WoW goes F2P) to come out trampling WoW. They need time to gain steam and stablize.
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    What's the deal with all the hype around Wildstar? I'd never even heard of it until recently, and from what I've seen, it looks generic and childish.
    No more childish than WoW from what I've seen. I couldn't care less for Wildstar but it always amuses me when people talk of WoW as if it's some super serious and mature game.

    We won't see a single WoW killer (atleast anytime soon) because there's too much competition for the spot.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2013-11-01 at 04:04 PM.

  5. #85
    Brewmaster ParanoiD84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,416
    If there ever comes a pvp based mmo that's good, i think all pvp players will leave this joke of a pvp game for that. Pve in wow is very good though so i dont think any raiders is going to leave anytime soon.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    Some will get impressive Week #1 results then degrade quickly. If it's going to beat WoW it needs to incline steadily from word of mouth rather than "sweet promises".

    Guild Wars 2 had their shot by actually putting time (what most miss) into it but, sadly, failed. I don't think any of these will deliver what is expected of them which is, in part, the fault of the MMO community.
    It's the fastest selling MMO of all time. It took WoW some time to amass its massive player base. That being said, I agree with your critique of the MMO community since you would label that as failure.

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    No more childish than WoW from what I've seen. I couldn't care less for Wildstar but it always amuses me when people talk of WoW as if it's some super serious and mature game.

    We won't see a single WoW killer (atleast anytime soon) because there's too much competition for the spot.
    I never said a word about WoW...

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I never said a word about WoW...
    This thread is about WoW

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    6. Slowly proving to be a generic, unintuitive clone. Their marketing ploys are pretty tight and might pull in customers because of it.
    Well, that's kind of a non argument. When you get down to it, WoW is just a cartoony, dumbed-down clone of EQ and UO, based on an RTS with a story that's just bad Warhammer fanfic. And look where it is now.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

    And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

  10. #90
    If you only focus on active members (as in average who have been online within that week) WoW most likely has allot less than people think. Pokemon has millions of players currently at thats more like an MMO now than ever! (Even if its not labled as one i have spent more time trading online with others than solo farming).

    Blizzard will include 1 day subs from china and places as subs at each quarter to distort the figures as always anyway. Sure WoW has allot of players but hole in the bucket of water is bigger now than ever. Soon the playbase will be small enough than a new mmo will overtake it. (if not already)

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I never said a word about WoW...
    The thread is about WoW and you're posting on a forum that is mainly dedicated to WoW so it's a safe bet that's what you wanted to say. Now am I wrong? Do you think WoW is not childish?

  12. #92
    High Overlord Lor_Azut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Korriban
    Posts
    153
    I think only WildStar and EQN has any chance to get pretty damn close to WoW but I don't think they have the 'power' to overcome the beast.

  13. #93
    I tried almost all the MMO RPGs avilable now and I think that GW2 has the best chance to compete with WoW
    GW2 is a great game but it has some flaws that keeps it below WoW: structured PvP lacks balance and variety and the WvW is like a "Zerg vs Zerg" the game also needs more dungeons tier armors to keep the lvl 80 playing the game
    maybe after 2 or 3 years GW2 will fix these problems and become the number 1, the game industry is full of surprises we dont know what may bring WoW down
    Last edited by zura; 2013-11-01 at 04:32 PM.

  14. #94
    I think Elder Scrolls will be a serious competitor (just because of the fan base, no clue about game quality), but will still never surpass WoW.

    Regarding a new leading MMO, my bet is with titan, I'm sure Blizzard wants to present it as the game that amazes in everything that WoW didn't execute perfectly.

  15. #95
    The Patient Iconja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    330
    I'd say Titan is about the only thing that can effectively ''Kill'' WoW, in the sense that Blizzard probably won't make any more content for WoW when Titan is released.

    WoW has a very important and big lead in the MMO market because they've been around for a veeery long time, they already have lore, interesting characters etc. and a loyal playerbase that won't leave their capped characters behind for good.

    Sure, the individual MMOs might chip away at WoW just like they do now, but it won't be anything major, I feel.

    That being said though, I personally think that many of the mmos listed above look incredibly promising and I will definitely be trying 1, 3, 4, 6, and 9 when they're released.

    And come on, a GoT MMO? How good does that sound? Pretty freaking good to me, assuming it doesen't suck, of course.

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking Iconja View Post
    And come on, a GoT MMO? How good does that sound?
    I disagree. What makes Game of Thrones great doesn't really translate well to an mmorpg. It would end up being a generic fantasy mmo.

  17. #97
    Bloodsail Admiral Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    1,089
    I honestly kinda hope Elder Scrolls does, only because I like the Elder Scrolls franchise and want it to succeed.

    But it won't. The ES games have always been based on self-reliance, on being (eventually) good at almost everything. In an MMO, this is counterproductive in various ways. So it won't be the same feel at all, no matter how many familiar names (Nirnroot!) show up.

    Nothing else stands a chance. Sorry.

  18. #98

  19. #99
    Scarab Lord Frozen Death Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The forsaken lands of Sweden
    Posts
    4,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    It's the fastest selling MMO of all time. It took WoW some time to amass its massive player base. That being said, I agree with your critique of the MMO community since you would label that as failure.
    It's the fastest selling non-supscription B2P MMO of all time. Saying it's the fastest selling MMO of all time when you only have to buy it once to count as a sale number is just scewing the numbers to be able to claim something as a marketing gimmick. Sure, Blizzard have done this themselves, but they still have been running the largest supscription based MMO ever and that is something no other MMO can truly claim.

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    It's the fastest selling non-supscription B2P MMO of all time. Saying it's the fastest selling MMO of all time when you only have to buy it once to count as a sale number is just scewing the numbers to be able to claim something as a marketing gimmick. Sure, Blizzard have done this themselves, but they still have been running the largest supscription based MMO ever and that is something no other MMO can truly claim.
    B2P, F2P, P2P are all subcategories of MMOs. GW2 is the fastest selling B2P MMO of all time. But since that is a subcategory of MMOs and it outsold the other two subcategories, it is also the fastest selling MMO of all time. WoW would still be the fastest selling P2P MMO of all time, but it lost its mantle of fastest selling MMO of all time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •