Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Can anyone explain the double character timeline issue to me? (Saurfang, Maraad?)

Some guy asked the same question during the WoW lore panel, but the guys from Blizzard were like "Nope!" which is a really lame answer.

If Saurfang/Maraad/Velen step through the portal won't they meet themselves? How is it a "No"? Can someone please explain this to me? This is not a time travel issue (actions in the past affecting future) it's a straight forward issue of double characters which I don't get.

They haven't explained how they'll deal with characters like Maraad, but its assumed one of them will have a beard.

Quote Originally Posted by babo7000 View Post
    They haven't explained how they'll deal with characters like Maraad, but its assumed one of them will have a beard.
    Well I'm glad we got the important part out of the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
    Some guy asked the same question during the WoW lore panel, but the guys from Blizzard were like "Nope!" which is a really lame answer.

If Saurfang/Maraad/Velen step through the portal won't they meet themselves? How is it a "No"? Can someone please explain this to me? This is not a time travel issue (actions in the past affecting future) it's a straight forward issue of double characters which I don't get.
    Scientists believe that if you ran into your other self in an alternative timeline, one of two things would happen:

One: coming face to face with yourself thirty years older could put you into shock and you would simply pass out.

Two: the encounter could create a time paradox, the result of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's a worst-case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post

Well yeah. This one thing still doesn't make sense. I'm guessing we will have two Velens at least. I hope they have a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Warloff View Post
    Scientists believe that if you ran into your other self in an alternative timeline, one of two things would happen:

One: coming face to face with yourself thirty years older could put you into shock and you would simply pass out.

Two: the encounter could create a time paradox, the result of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's a worst-case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.
    What if I just said "cool, now neither of us will be virgins"?

10+ Year Old Account

"Marty, whatever happens, you must not let your other self see you."

On topic: Nothing wrong. It's will be just different timeline; alternate universe.
    Last edited by sonololo; 2013-11-09 at 06:03 PM.

Multi-verse vs. time travel. They choose to do the multi-verse concept. By going back in time Garrosh creates a multi-verse. This is not a new Sci-Phi concept.

I think Blizzard is just going to keep duplicates where both versions are still alive on opposite sides of the modified Dark Portal. If there are instances of people meeting their duplicates, it won't be considered to be major plot points.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

i don't think time paradoxes exist. i think every possible event happened at the same time. we just can't see it from our perspective.

but in the game they can do whatever they want and it's just as valid as anything else so /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Falrinn View Post
    If there are instances of people meeting their duplicates
    That would be interesting, I'd love to see this.

Quote Originally Posted by shadycharacter1 View Post
    What if I just said "cool, now neither of us will be virgins"?
    This is heavy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manniefaces View Post
    Multi-verse vs. time travel. They choose to do the multi-verse concept. By going back in time Garrosh creates a multi-verse. This is not a new Sci-Phi concept.
    You don't get it don't you. Alternate universe or not we will still get two Velens in one room. Ya know, like in Star Trek.

i can explain it ..... MAGIC !

like the ton of mounts you run around with etc. its all sorted by magic ... and well yeah its a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    You don't get it don't you. Alternate universe or not we will still get two Velens in one room. Ya know, like in Star Trek.
    And so what? Being that they are not the same Velen, nothing much is going to happen. They will probably sit down, have tea and compare notes or some shit.

Blizzard already said a select group of people will be going through the portal to Draenei, so I highly doubt someone like Velen will go through and there be 2 of him. Blizzard said they might not even show much of Saurfang. Blizzard will deal with issues when they show up and work around them somehow I'm sure.

Yeah, that comment from Blizzard was a little weird.

I think it was to assuage the fear of people who don't understand time travel, but it's actually baffling for people who do.

Regardless of whether or not this is time travel or parallel world hopping, it appears as if this Draenor is as we knew it until Garrosh arrived and started altering things. That means that anyone alive then should be alive then (unless Garrosh specifically has them killed). And if any of our equivalents travel there, there would be two of them on the planet.

Now, it sounds like we're only coming with a small group, and nameless characters are easy to ignore (most orc players probably technically lived through this era in our timeline). However, Maraad, at least, is coming with us. He was around back then, and I feel like there was someone else I thought would be weird, but I can't remember.

Regardless, this path can't be one-way forever, or we'd be trapped. Which means that unless one version of every duplicate character gets killed, this should matter at some point.
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2013-11-10 at 07:48 AM.

I understood it's a one way trip. You won't have whole armies coming through, just the strike team that moves in to shut down the portal. Saurfang won't meet saurfang unless we bring him with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    Regardless of whether or not this is time travel or parallel world hopping, it appears as if this Draenor is as we knew it until Garrosh arrived and started altering things. That means that anyone alive then should be alive then (unless Garrosh specifically has them killed). And if any of our equivalents travel there, there would be two of them on the planet.
    Absolutely no one not native to Dranor should have a "double" on nuDranor. The "iron horde" dranor starts from a genesis before the demon blood curse, which means that in that timeline, Ner'zul and Gul'dan never got manipulated by the legion, the Drani never got nearly exterminated, the Dark portal was never built, and nuDranor should have never had contact with that timeline's Azeroth. Could make for some interesting moments (like Thrall meeting his "parents", or uncorrupted Akama meeting Akama the Broken), but given the appearent extreme difficulty of establishing a beachead on the alternate Dranor, I very much doubt a lot of that will happen.

This means that the ONLY people who could potentially meet a doube would be people who already existed on Dranor at the time the divergence occured. Thrall could still meet nuThrall, Velen could still meet nuVelen, etc, but no one from azeroth should be able to meet their duplicates (Malfurion will never meet nuMalfurian for example).

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Absolutely no one not native to Dranor should have a "double" on nuDranor. The "iron horde" dranor starts from a genesis before the demon blood curse, which means that in that timeline, Ner'zul and Gul'dan never got manipulated by the legion, the Drani never got nearly exterminated, the Dark portal was never built, and nuDranor should have never had contact with that timeline's Azeroth. Could make for some interesting moments (like Thrall meeting his "parents", or uncorrupted Akama meeting Akama the Broken), but given the appearent extreme difficulty of establishing a beachead on the alternate Dranor, I very much doubt a lot of that will happen.

This means that the ONLY people who could potentially meet a doube would be people who already existed on Dranor at the time the divergence occured. Thrall could still meet nuThrall, Velen could still meet nuVelen, etc, but no one from azeroth should be able to meet their duplicates (Malfurion will never meet nuMalfurian for example).
    This isn't exactly true. Gul'dan is still a warlock, and the draenei have suffered already at the hands of the Iron Horde, but things have diverged quite a bit already, yes.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead, and that World of Warcraft died with him."