Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why is Illidan "coming back"?

What evidence is there to suggest that Illidan Stormrage is going to return? Have I missed something? Don't get me wrong, I love him, but seriously when we defeated him in BT it looks like he died. Surely if he'd survived Majev wouldn't have gone insane?

We dont really know what happened to him. We only know that we defeated him in BT and Maiev has "taken care" of him. We dont know what happened to her either.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Time-travel, Resurrection, maybe something to do with assuming a partly Dreadlord appearance maybe he has the same ability as them to come back from the Nether.

Either way Blizzard has hinted multiple times he may come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyux View Post
    What evidence is there to suggest that Illidan Stormrage is going to return? Have I missed something? Don't get me wrong, I love him, but seriously when we defeated him in BT it looks like he died. Surely if he'd survived Majev wouldn't have gone insane?
    Metzen stated that fans want him to return, and Metzen likes the idea; even considering it as somewhat of a redemption story. I believe he said it at the last Blizzcon.

Cuz Metzen said so...

10+ Year Old Account
    He is largely demon now, missing vial of eternity, "magic", time travel, Burning Legion wasn't done with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats he's coming back? I was not prepared for this...

He's coming back. They did a poll on the forums last year asking which end bosses from the previous expansions would you want back and Illidan won the poll. The fact that they made a weird random poll like that suggest they're mulling it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    He's coming back. They did a poll on the forums last year asking which end bosses from the previous expansions would you want back and Illidan won the poll. The fact that they made a weird random poll like that suggest they're mulling it over.
    link please?

I had three different versions of Onyxia's head in my bank at one point -- and still got to kill her yet again in Cataclysm. No one dies in Azeroth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone's got to train all the new demon hunters.

They literally confirmed it at an earlier Blizzcon... its not like its that hard to find the statement with a quick google search, OP.

During the Blizzcon 2010 World of Warcraft Quest and Lore Q&A panel, Chris Metzen was asked about the possibility of Illidan being revived or redeemed, and Metzen replied that it was something he would really like to do and that he is a sucker for a good redemption story.

At the Blizzcon 2011 World of Warcraft Open Q&A panel, Metzen was again asked about reviving Illidan. He asked the crowd if it was something they would like to see, the crowd exploded and cheered in response, and he said they would work on it. He later revisited the topic during the World of Warcraft Lore Q&A panel, after being asked about the dead bodies of important villains. Metzen indicated that based on fan reaction they would most likely bring Illidan back, and would have to decide on a way to revive him, noting that his corpse would be very significant.
    There you go, two points I found on wowwiki by just searching google for "Illidan". Which both lead to very easy to access videos on youtube.

2010 quest and lore Q&A panel part 1 -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFZvhP3EYYI
    2011 WoW Open Q&A panel part 1 -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vwNXLfDZ4s
    2011 Lore Q&A panel -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhzMHJE3UGY

Seriously, 5 minutes of looking into it and I I have not only linked you a summery of where it was listed and when it was listed but also video recordings of the events. It may not be in part 1 of the first two, but you can eventually find it in later parts. I could have found it if I honestly cared, but I dont. Its FACT that Illidan is coming back, not rumor, not assumption, but FACT. We just don't know when exactly OP.

... 5 minutes on google.... 5 minutes for all that information...
    Last edited by Byucknah The Red; 2013-11-01 at 05:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BassZ1890 View Post
    *snip*
    Seriously, 5 minutes of looking into it and I I have not only linked you a summery of where it was listed and when it was listed but also video recordings of the events. It may not be in part 1 of the first two, but you can eventually find it in later parts. I could have found it if I honestly cared, but I dont. Its FACT that Illidan is coming back, not rumor, not assumption, but FACT. We just don't know when exactly OP.

... 5 minutes on google.... 5 minutes...
    Let Me Google That For You is a great website to get this point across.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cmats4020 View Post
    Metzen stated that fans want him to return, and Metzen likes the idea; even considering it as somewhat of a redemption story. I believe he said it at the last Blizzcon.
    He did indeed - and shortly after that Illidan DID indeed return to the game, in the Well of Eternity instance.

People have been craving MOAR Illidan and seem to kind of assume that WoE appearance wasn't "it", but I don't think we have firm word that Illidan will come back in the current timeline.

Oh, it's a given he'll be back. Fans seem to really want him to come back and even Blizzard themselves seem to like the idea as well. So, it's not a matter of 'if", but "when". In a few weeks, it could become reality or it won't and we'll have to wait next expansion and see.

Quote Originally Posted by bregtann View Post
    He did indeed - and shortly after that Illidan DID indeed return to the game, in the Well of Eternity instance.

People have been craving MOAR Illidan and seem to kind of assume that WoE appearance wasn't "it", but I don't think we have firm word that Illidan will come back in the current timeline.
    Whenever we get to the big Burning Legion expansion I almost promise you he'll be back. And we'll probably also be hearing from Bolvar and the scourge again. Although this time I'm pretty sure they'll end up with us vs. the legion (even if they don't start that way.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyux View Post
    1. his character was severely fucked over in bc and blizzard regrets it.

2. hes still one of the most popular wow characters of all time

3. wow has and has had a severe lack of anti heroes.

theres no ingame evidence that he is coming back except maybe some of the stuff in the warlock questline, however blizzard has made it pretty clear they are going to bring him back in some way somehow and not have him be a villain this time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bregtann View Post

metzen confirmed that he WASNT talking about 4.3 when he mentioned illidan returning and he even said that he thinks "a part of him is still out there"

so please stop bringing it up, because you are wrong.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    In current Lore a demon can only be killed if they are atomized, they can always be resurrected.

Illidan was fully Demon at the end.

Malfurion would not let anyone kill his brother. Malfurion is the most powerful Druid, even more so now that the Ysera is mortal now. If anyone has the ability to bring someone back from the dead it is Malfurion.

Oh and everyone loves a redemption story. I see Illidan being raised up and cleansed of demonic taint, only to create a Demon Hunter Neutral Faction, he may love his brother but I doubt he'll ever trust the Night elves, after all he feels they betrayed him.

Now I am not sure it the Demon Hunter Faction will be for a Hero-Class, Warlocks, or just an NPC faction but I am sure it is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by BassZ1890 View Post
    They literally confirmed it at an earlier Blizzcon... its not like its that hard to find the statement with a quick google search, OP.
    This post lists the proof that it's planned.

As for the why?

Because he was a popular character that Blizzard realized they totally derailed in Burning Crusade into what was essentially a completely different guy. For some reason it's really touchy, so I won't go into too much detail, but the anti-hero he was in Warcraft was noticeably different than the Saturday morning cartoon villain we confronted in Burning Crusade. And the excuse that losing to Arthas made him go crazy is not only lazy, it's nonsensical. If being chained up in pitch blackness for ten thousand years did not drive Illidan insane, why would losing (and surviving) a random fight break him? They implied once or twice they'd like to bring Kael'thas back as well, considering the guy we killed in Burning Crusade had essentially the complete opposite personality and character as the one we liked in Warcraft III, but Blizzard felt like it's too late since they already brought him back once.

I'm usually annoyed by Blizzard's retcons, but considering this would be a development that would be used to counter a previous retcon, I don't mind.
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2013-11-01 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    In current Lore a demon can only be killed if they are atomized, they can always be resurrected.

Illidan was fully Demon at the end.

Malfurion would not let anyone kill his brother. Malfurion is the most powerful Druid, even more so now that the Ysera is mortal now. If anyone has the ability to bring someone back from the dead it is Malfurion.

Oh and everyone loves a redemption story. I see Illidan being raised up and cleansed of demonic taint, only to create a Demon Hunter Neutral Faction, he may love his brother but I doubt he'll ever trust the Night elves, after all he feels they betrayed him.

Now I am not sure it the Demon Hunter Faction will be for a Hero-Class, Warlocks, or just an NPC faction but I am sure it is coming.
    I have a feeling it'll be a neutral NPC faction because adding 2 classes back to back in expansions seems like too much of a hassle. Also there is already a demon hunter NPC in Darkshore stating that there a few of them left in Azeroth, etc, yet that NPC isn't associated with any quest in-game, except for the achievement for finding him.