Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I would think that if they brought back more % based damage that the world would be much more dangerous. Because getting hit for 100 damage when you have 2500 from a boss isn't really harmful, for example. But if the boss hits you for 15% of your health (abilities of course), then it wouldn't matter if you had 250k, it would still be dangerous. I would think something like a 'trap' or 'bounty hunters' would work with this, so there is always the potential of death if you don't pay attention, for all levels. For named quest 'boss' mobs as well.

Give me a WoW world filled with Guild Wars 2 type dynamic events and updated Graphics and animations and Blizzard can hav the rest of my money O_o

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Then make the other ideas you have in the OP opt in as well so as to not force it on others who don't want the added danger.
    I see what you did there, but I don't agree with the correlation. Having to pay attention in the world around you isn't the same in terms of severity as perma-death. There are already things in WoW that you have to pay attention to, and I'm just looking to get a little be more of that.
    Jazzhands <Sacred Samophlange>, 6/14H, US-Skywall
    "Query? What do you think I'm here for, tea and biscuits? Spill the beans already!"

Hmmm, have you considered a phasing solution?

Let the default world be what we are used to, generally safe. Then add an NPC that sends you on a "mission" that can be either a series of daily quests or maybe scenario style objectives you can finish multiple ways. While on this mission, you are in the same zone, but it has become much more dangerous. Powerful patrols lurk the area, stealthed assassins try to hunt you down, booby traps scattered all over the map.

This allows Blizzard to use the same zone twice, and lets those who don't want the extra danger to continue on their merry way. It increases the emotional hook, since it is a familiar area that has suddenly become hostile (thing about it, lots of great horror movies do this). And it means that Blizzard can switch it up by only giving you a subset of th totl potential dangers each time, instead of you seeing everything all at once.

Plus, if you use phasing, you could have the neat trick of making players not on your mission look like (unattackable) monsters as well. They can't see you (or see you as a hostile NPC) so they come after you, but you have to avoid them. Like those ghosts in Mario.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOluck View Post

you are what is wrong with world of warcraft today. Maybe they can make a LFE "looking for evironment" just for you cause any sense of danger is SCARY in a VIDEO game.
    Boy you are on a roll today with the flaming. Shoo please.

Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    Hmmm, have you considered a phasing solution?

Let the default world be what we are used to, generally safe. Then add an NPC that sends you on a "mission" that can be either a series of daily quests or maybe scenario style objectives you can finish multiple ways. While on this mission, you are in the same zone, but it has become much more dangerous. Powerful patrols lurk the area, stealthed assassins try to hunt you down, booby traps scattered all over the map.

This allows Blizzard to use the same zone twice, and lets those who don't want the extra danger to continue on their merry way. It increases the emotional hook, since it is a familiar area that has suddenly become hostile (thing about it, lots of great horror movies do this). And it means that Blizzard can switch it up by only giving you a subset of th totl potential dangers each time, instead of you seeing everything all at once.

Plus, if you use phasing, you could have the neat trick of making players not on your mission look like (unattackable) monsters as well. They can't see you (or see you as a hostile NPC) so they come after you, but you have to avoid them. Like those ghosts in Mario.
    This is really good, and presents a solution to what Grexly is talking about.

Something I had considered, but didn't put in the OP, was randomized gauntlet like scenarios. No minimap, no direction, just a randomly spawned obstacle course full of environmental hazards, traps, and tough mobs. If you make it to the end, you get a reward, and if you die, too bad - You'll have to try a new randomized spawn!

EDIT: Something like the troves of the thunder king, but random, and without as much gold just laying around.
    "Query? What do you think I'm here for, tea and biscuits? Spill the beans already!"

Deleted
    Then make the other ideas you have in the OP opt in as well so as to not force it on others who don't want the added danger.
    Where do you stop though? Opting in for elite mobs? for mobs to be able to kill you? There's a clear difference between the OP's suggestions and the suggestion of perma death. The former has no long term effect on your game: You play, you possibly die and you pay the quickly recuperated repair fee. With the latter: You play, and if you die that character is gone and never coming back. There's no recovery. You don't see the difference there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Instead of looking for those values in WoW, you could go check games like Dark Souls and such . Trust me you will like it alot .
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

Quote Originally Posted by Arian21 View Post
    Instead of looking for those values in WoW, you could go check games like Dark Souls and such . Trust me you will like it alot .
    Haha! I love Dark Souls, though I have to admit I suck at it. I didn't really have that game in mind when I made this topic, but I can see the correlation. It might be almost too brutal as far as the strength of individual monsters is concerned. One concept I do like, though, is the risk vs. reward feeling of running back to your body. Do you want to go back to try and recover your lost souls, or will you play it safe and just go somewhere else?

Not interested, sorry - I need to be able to stop in a place that isn't obviously dangerous and go afk. While I do play WoW for hours at a time, I'm not able to escape my responsibilities completely.

I see what you're getting at though, and the idea in general isn't a bad one. There are certain aspects of the game that would be more fun if everywhere remained dangerous and had to be respected, vs. "I could go afk there and if anything attacked me my pet would one-shot it.".

Bring back Fel Reavers of ye olde, but 5x as many, in every zone.

Mwahaha.

Actually it would be pretty cool if there was at least a couple ridiculously hard mobs (at that level in each area) that are just like Fel Reavers, you've just got to be more aware, it makes you think about where you afk, and so on, it's actually pretty fun to go exploring and then BOOM, you get one shot and think what the hell was that and end up remembering it for a long time, I'm sure most people remember when they first died to a Fel Reaver back in TBC levelling.

I would like more danger from 2-3-4 big ass mobs in xyz zone, it's just a nice extra touch to keep people on their toes, either pats or a few static spawns guarding interesting areas that aren't required but fun to check out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see where you're coming from, and I like the idea of traps/environmental concerns. Perhaps have them be a rare feature, something that people come across occasionally and have to deal with in addition to the mobs they're fighting (mechanics that act like standing in fire on boss fights would do).

I could see them upping the difficulty of mobs, to a point. They can't have mobs in the world scale to the player, because the player can out level them, while other players are still on par with them. They could do the reverse, by scaling a player down to the zones maximum level (and work an item level scale in addition). This would add a layer of difficulty to rare hunting and gathering, but many people just prefer to make use of the gear they've earned in raids and such to make things easier. There could be a mechanic to solve this, where raid gear will still be better for you in these scaled zones making the mobs easier to kill, but not to the extreme of a one shot. For this, I would say limit this type of thing on an expansion basis. When the expansion is over, lift the restrictions so people can do their overpowered killing and transmog grinding.

The third idea would be tricky. They would need sanctuaries, for people to safely AFK in, because there are many things that can distract people and they shouldn't be punished because of it. I could see them tying it into a quest chain of sorts, where it happens a few times through the zone, while you're questing, and leads you on to other questing areas. There would have to be a way to opt out of the system though, because it gets annoying when you're doing things like gathering and the game just wouldn't let up with the hunters (and then while you're dealing with hunters, some guy can come along and take your nodes). Unkillable things would be terrible, it wasn't very fun with deathwing flying over head and burning a zone to kill players (alright it was fun for a while, but got old pretty quick).

15+ Year Old Account
    I miss frogger in Nax.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by NiceJazzhands View Post
    When I'm talking about the World of Warcraft, I'm talking about the actual "World". The place in between the dungeons and raids and scenarios; the place where we do our questing and gathering.

Right now, doing anything out in the World of Warcraft is entirely non-threatening. There was a brief time at the beginning of MoP when rares were actually difficult to kill. Now that we completely outgear them, they are just lootbags that sit out in the world. The timeless isle has done a good job of reintroducing mobs where you actually have to pay attention to mechanics, and I hope that trend continues.

No matter what level you are, quest mobs tend to fall over without any objection. You can quest, admire the pretty scenery, kill an easy bunch of mobs, and then go turn in the quest for a reward. What if it wasn't that simple? I'm proposing that an element of danger gets added to the World of Warcraft.

1. Environmental Danger: You're riding along a path, and suddenly you're caught in a sinkhole. If you were alt-tabbed reading the forums, you're dead. You're fighting a mob, and suddenly a wall next to you begins to crumble. If you don't react, you're dead. You're fighting your way through a cavern, and poisonous gas begins to leak up from the floor. If you don't make it to higher ground quickly (you guessed it), you're dead. EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: None of these mechanics would be guaranteed insta-kills. You would have to react to survive.

2. Traps: We've actually seen quite a few things like this, especially around the Isle of Thunder. These are quite similar to environmental dangers, and the only difference is that they were supposedly created by your enemy. I'd like to see more traps, more sudden danger that makes you care about your health bar. What if your character was actually kidnapped, and you had to escape?

3. Being Hunted: This is my favorite idea. Right now, you have to be near a mob for it to notice you. What if some mobs were looking for you as soon as you set foot into a zone or area? You'd have normal quests and objectives to complete, but you'd have to constantly be watching over your shoulder for mobs who are looking for you. What if you couldn't even defeat these mobs, like in Resident Evil? Your only option would be to run.

This is getting pretty long, so I'd like to open it up to all of you. What are some ways we can make WoW more dangerous? Should it even become more dangerous?
    That exists, it's called pulling too many mobs while running through a zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you are wanting more hazards and what not in WoW so what is wrong with Perma Death other games have it even Diablo 3 has it so it is a viable option.. You say you want the risk of being out in the world, having Perma Death would make it more intense and keep people on their toes..
    I'm all for this (on separate servers ofc, cant force everyone to play hardcore). This would take the world first races to another level, the top guilds wouldn't be able to try and try again, if they wanted real prestige, play on hardcore and go slowly. Can you imagine the feeling of achievement only getting one life and killing the end of expansion boss on hardcore?

Also, what if, when they bring the burning legion back (as they inevitably will), there were random world events instead of world bosses, where the legion would invade a random zone, and for maybe half an hour the legion would swarm through a portal in a certain area and at the end of that time a legion lieutenant would spawn which would be really powerful and need a group to kill? Obviously you would need to kill the adds that came through in the previous half hour to safely engage the lieutenant and the adds that spawn would be capped at a certain number so that if there wouldn't be hundreds of them by the time people found it. I think that would make some pretty engaging end game content although it would probably need to be in a phased zone. They could also do scaled down versions for when you are levelling maybe?
    Last edited by LaserChild9; 2013-11-01 at 10:51 PM.