Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Someday" could also strongly suggest the release date of the next expansion.

As for Demon Hunters, keep in mind that at the time of Draenor's destruction, Illidan was imprisoned by Maiv Shadowsong.

It was Illidan who brought Demon Hunters to Draenor/Outland.
    Read it again;

@Ghostcrawler:
    But maybe one of the designers will come up with a pitch perfect design that blows us away someday. Shrug.

He's saying it's never even been successfully modeled by designers. He said that about a month ago. Do you think they'd really be adding a new class at this late stage of design?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    Read it again;

@Ghostcrawler:
    But maybe one of the designers will come up with a pitch perfect design that blows us away someday. Shrug.

He's saying it's never even been successfully modeled by designers. He said that about a month ago. Do you think they'd really be adding a new class at this late stage of design?
    Why are you taking that quote literally when Blizzard devs are notorious for purposeful misdirection?

Remember when Tom Chilton said that they only used Pandarens for "secondary products"?

Speculation swirled recently regarding Blizzard's decision to trademark "Mists of Pandaria," as many thought it may indicate the name of the next World of Warcraft expansion. Pandaria, in Warcraft lore, refers to the home of the Pandaren, basically humanoid war pandas you may remember making an appearance as neutral heroes in Warcraft III. Chilton said the speculation was, "wildly overhyped." He added, "if you look at traditionally how we've handled that race it's been in those secondary products because we haven't realized it in the world. Most of the time when we do anything panda-related it's going to be a comic book or a figurine or something like that."
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/08/31/to...dly-overhyped/
    Last edited by Teriz; 2013-11-01 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    He's made other comments that strongly suggest it isn't an immediate plan for wow.
    'someday' suggests pretty strongly it hasn't happened yet.
    And just weeks before they announced MoP, he basically said the same thing about playable Pandaren. Absolutely nothing has any meaning until it is announced officially.

edit/update:

Sorry, it was Tom Chilton on the Pandaren. Still.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that adding a class "Just because" is stupid. Especially something as dumb as a "tinker". We have engineering. It doesn't need to be a class too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    I think that adding a class "Just because" is stupid. Especially something as dumb as a "tinker". We have engineering. It doesn't need to be a class too.
    Every class isn't for everyone. I think Warriors are the dullest class in WoW, but a lot of people love them, so there you go.

This thread isn't about what class you want, this class is about GC's interesting tweet.

Deleted
    Blademaster.. please...

Quote Originally Posted by Sageofthe10paths View Post
    I don't remember ever hearing this, can you provide a source please.
    As I recall in the WOTLK production DVD behind the scenes they said they had dozens of hero classes in rough concepts to play with. They originally were based on the hero units of WC3, which is why we called them hero classes in 2004. Things like Timewalkers and Titansworn have nothing to do with those icons of the lore, tinkers however were a hero template in the deck, but the most popular are DKs, Demon hunters, and monks/brewmasters, hands down. It's amazing they almost went with necromancers over DKs however.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If Warlords of Draenor adds a class, which I'm doubting it does, it will be Demon Hunter or Timewalker.

Personally I'm leaning toward Demon Hunter for obvious reasons.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Oh god not this 80 pages of tinker crap again! At least it can only last a week this time. *facepalm*

10+ Year Old Account

Thoughts of a Tinker class? If not now maybe down the road?
    I've said before it depends on the treatment. Too easy for that class to be too wacky or precious. (Source)
    A more steampunk vibe sounds cool to me. A dude in a mech having misfires that poop out springs and gears less so. (Source)
    I don't know. Lucca from Chrono Trigger could work. A little bit of gnomish (tee hee) world enlarger goes a long way IMO. (Source)
    But maybe one of the designers will come up with a pitch perfect design that blows us away someday. Shrug. (Source)
    Can we stick to the OP topic please?

Just seems like him throwing around ideas with himself, reading a bit too much into it. I think step 1 is finding out if there's a new class at all, which of course we'll only know once we see the trailer.

I think we're going back to the 2 races thing, then maybe the expansion after that we'll get a new class, and we do still have some unfinished underwater business, so maybe Tinker could fit in there. But of course I know as little as everyone else, so I'm just guessing here.

WOW needs alot of new things, not a new class.

OP - stop making these tinker threads every day. They've clearly stated no. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    As I recall in the WOTLK production DVD behind the scenes they said they had dozens of hero classes in rough concepts to play with. They originally were based on the hero units of WC3, which is why we called them hero classes in 2004. Things like Timewalkers and Titansworn have nothing to do with those icons of the lore, tinkers however were a hero template in the deck, but the most popular are DKs, Demon hunters, and monks/brewmasters, hands down. It's amazing they almost went with necromancers over DKs however.
    Demon Hunters would have been an excellent addition had they moved Demonology more in the direction of "army of demons" instead of a "demon army" meets dreadlord meets "demon within."

Demon Hunters could fit perfectly as a Warlock 4th spec to flesh out and add to Dark Apotheosis but Blizzard, in the Warlock revamp, decided to pull from and completely cannibalize the Demon Hunter in order to give Warlocks an "awesome" cosmetic and combat niche. The iconic aspects of the Demon Hunter, minus the glaives, are now present under the Demonology banner.

I've always wanted Demon Hunters in the game but they decided to give too much of them to Warlocks to make a full class feasible. It would be like adding the Crusader class to WoW, having a ton of Paladin crossover, and thinking it would be unique the Paladin community wouldn't be pissed about it. It's the same concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    OP - stop making these tinker threads every day. They've clearly stated no. Get over it.
    Funny thing is that they didn't actually say no. I personally don't think we'll get Tinkers, at least yet, but Ghostcrawler never said no. He merely stated "they could be a bit too whimsical but it depends on the design" which was then taken out of context, like everything else Ghostcrawler says, to mean no. If anything, it's the Demon Hunter that Ghostcrawler has said no to with the comment of "is there enough room for it with Rogues and Warlocks?"
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2013-11-01 at 10:40 PM.

Tinker could be a great new class if done right. But the next expansion does not sound right for it. My bets are on Demon Hunter or Blademaster.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

I still think tinker is too narrow for a whole class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    LoL! I haven't made a Tinker thread in months. Also, this thread is relevant to the recent expansion leak.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    I still think tinker is too narrow for a whole class.
    I'd love to hear an explanation for this one. Technology is a very broad archetype.

I'd love to hear an explanation for this one. Technology is a very broad archetype.
    Technology is very broad, yes. Technology in Azeroth is more broad than technology in other genres. A tinker class seems very tied to a steam punk vibe which I personally find appealing; however, with the presence of other technology based npcs and lore in WoW, it seems very strange to restrict the scope of your inventor class to mechanical invention.

If we're talking about a world class inventor of powerful things that is able to face major powers of Azeroth, then they need to invent in the other aspects as well and incorporate them together. Tinker seems to be identifying with the technology of gnomes and goblins. If it also included draenic crystal technology, dwarven and elven golem crafting and forsaken alchemy; then it would fit the role of genius inventor in Azeroth. At that point though, "tinker" doesn't really fit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Technology is very broad, yes. Technology in Azeroth is more broad than technology in other genres. A tinker class seems very tied to a steam punk vibe which I personally find appealing; however, with the presence of other technology based npcs and lore in WoW, it seems very strange to restrict the scope of your inventor class to mechanical invention.

If we're talking about a world class inventor of powerful things that is able to face major powers of Azeroth, then they need to invent in the other aspects as well and incorporate them together. Tinker seems to be identifying with the technology of gnomes and goblins. If it also included draenic crystal technology, dwarven and elven golem crafting and forsaken alchemy; then it would fit the role of genius inventor in Azeroth. At that point though, "tinker" doesn't really fit.
    Fair enough. I have often said that if "Tinker" doesn't fit, then Mechanic, Inventor, Artificer, Gear Master, etc. works just as well. I would have no problem with Blizzard expanding the scope to other forms of technology in Azeroth. I think we even mentioned in this thread the possible specs being representative of different types of Azeroth technology.

I definitely think that Blood Elf, Naaru, and Titan technology are just as interesting as Goblin and Gnome technology.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Magitech, true Tinkering, and even in some cases (but not as a whole spec) Alchemy could all combine into one super-soldier.

Captain Azerothica!
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)