1. #1

    WW Monk / Ret Pally 2s

    Hey guys, me and a friend are gonna hit some arenas for the first time this season. I'm playing the monk and hes playing the retadin. I was just looking for tips, we're mainly going for fun, but we are competitive so we like a decent rating. Played between 1700-1800 last season.
    Anyways, anyone play this comp, or seen this comp and know how to excel with it?

  2. #2
    Whoever is the kill target on your team should have the other one peeling/off healing for them, until you guys can line up your burst.
    You should be pulling the dps away from his healer all the time.
    Before burst is about to start, have the ret put hand of sac on you incase he gets a cc (that breaks on damage) during his burst.

  3. #3
    Never thought about the sac, considering he gets CC almost instantly after he pops wings. Thanks!

    - - - Updated - - -

    O and on healer/dps teams, would it be better to split dps and hard switch to one when we line up cooldowns, or constantly pound one until cooldowns and hard switch? Any tips on that? Considering we both have decent durability, we could prolly last a little longer then most double dps teams im assuming.

  4. #4
    Just train the healer.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm13 View Post
    Never thought about the sac, considering he gets CC almost instantly after he pops wings. Thanks!

    - - - Updated - - -

    O and on healer/dps teams, would it be better to split dps and hard switch to one when we line up cooldowns, or constantly pound one until cooldowns and hard switch? Any tips on that? Considering we both have decent durability, we could prolly last a little longer then most double dps teams im assuming.
    No prob, another thing to consider, is many teams directly associate your burst with pally wings, alot of rets have a pop all cd macro, but he might want to consider having wings seperate to juke burst, then the real burst is still in hand after they counter the fake burst.

    If youre both tunneling the dps, it gives u more control and easier healing for eachother (heal spheres) as well as limits the dps output, forcing healer in bad positioning and maybe forcing a few cd's from healer, so, Id say splitting dps isnt a good idea.
    If the fight lasts and theres no real progress being made, switching targets often can bode well. (like druid after tree, monk after cocoon, pally after bubble, priest after life swap)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by papare33 View Post
    Just train the healer.
    Lol. That doesn't work in 2s, especially if the healer is something tanky like disc priest. They go mongo on that healer and his dps partner is gonna rape one of their asses, likely the ret's cause he's really squishy when he can't get heals and must also be controled when he pops wings, and then it's 1v2. Buh bye!

    In 2s you mongo the dps, always, and cc the healer when the dps is at 50%. Healers are remarkably more resilient to damage than dps, so a "train da healer" tactic doesn't work in 2s.
    Last edited by Molestron; 2013-10-21 at 07:59 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Molestron View Post
    Lol. That doesn't work in 2s, especially if the healer is something tanky like disc priest. They go mongo on that healer and his dps partner is gonna rape one of their asses, likely the ret's cause he's really squishy when he can't get heals and must also be controled when he pops wings, and then it's 1v2. Buh bye!

    In 2s you mongo the dps, always, and cc the healer when the dps is at 50%. Healers are remarkably more resilient to damage than dps, so a "train da healer" tactic doesn't work in 2s.
    Depends on the healer being trained. Some can get easily get blown up with co ordinated burst and cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    If rogues become shit, all they can become is a different type of shit.

  8. #8
    Well guys I really appreciate all the help! Hopefully we will have a good time and get a decent rating.

  9. #9
    np! good luck in the push! If youre on healer or a caster, calling out who will inturrupt the next hardcast will help in getting kills too.

  10. #10
    Mechagnome Zippoflames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    571
    Once you get weps it really is just go mongo on healer, you have enough ways to stop any casting and burst them down.

  11. #11
    I will say that as a DK if I were facing this team I would tunnel the ret down. The WW is hard for me to get any kind of grip on, but the ret can't really do much to get away and once bubble is gone is good to kill.

    If you are playing against double DPS then it really will come down to play. Can you peel that warrior/X long enough? Can you outlast the wizards? You will pillar hump and heal a lot as double dps.

    Against healer/dps I think what will end up happening is that you guys will have to peel heavily until the WW builds up stacks and then try to juke a major CD. You should have just enough CC to burst a dps down but you will have to lure the dps out of healer los with no CDs in order to get defensives.

    I think it is doable, but expect either the WW to be in full on peel mode for the ret while the ret runs like a coward, or the ret chasing people while the WW hops from pillar to pillar trying to avoid damage.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post
    I will say that as a DK if I were facing this team I would tunnel the ret down. The WW is hard for me to get any kind of grip on, but the ret can't really do much to get away and once bubble is gone is good to kill.
    With a ww monk on your ass disarming, stunning, and silencing you, tunneling the ret wont be easy

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Decorpse View Post
    With a ww monk on your ass disarming, stunning, and silencing you, tunneling the ret wont be easy
    As long as the ret is cc-ed as much as possible during wings, it's worth it. Once wings are down it's 2v1.5.

  14. #14
    Dreadlord jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria/Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    816
    I was running this comp last night and the biggest issues we were having were with DK+healer teams and Frost Mage + Warlock teams.

    I spent the vast majority of my time getting trained hard and spending most of my HP on WoG, but whenever they went on my monk I was able to shred them in two. Against some comps though it did feel like my monk and I were either just getting kited to death or beating ourselves to death against an immovable wall of healer.

    I know the basic strategies of ret in arena (HoS before burst, freedom on partners, importance of offheals, etc), but sometimes just feel super ineffective

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by papare33 View Post
    Just train the healer.
    I have a friend of mine who thinks that way, he sucks dogshit in pvp, the best way is not just NUK HELOR!, instead get the healer away from the dps and kill the dps instead.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    I have a friend of mine who thinks that way, he sucks dogshit in pvp, the best way is not just NUK HELOR!, instead get the healer away from the dps and kill the dps instead.
    I dunno dude, occasionally it is very viable to just go full window-lick mode and zerg the living daylights out of a healer. They normally don't get quite as shellshocked the second time around, however.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •