Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why WoD being about time travel is most likely fake

First off, let me say that while an expansion using elements of time/dimensions travel would be cool, a full fledged expansion about it would be absurd. It would not only confuse most players, it would create giant gaping plot holes in the games story (WotA and Thrall novel show how bad Blizzard is at executing time travel and keeping it in game). Anyways, I noticed a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon because of two threads claiming to be real (never been done before am I right). Anyways, I could be wrong, but here is why I honestly think, whether or not WoD is real, the plot being held heavily focused on time travel is most likely mere speculation.

-Scrolls of Lore posted about Warlords of Draenor before the thread on MMO-C popped up. So the fellow with one post didn't necessarily have inside information.

-Blizzard received flack for two expansions in a row being Horde-heavy. Now realistically, would the next expansion deal with the players helping the Old Horde after all of this criticisim. It would be a huge 180 on how they said next expansion would be Alliance-heavy.

-Those who never believed The Dark Below always said it was fake because the trademark wasn't legitimately filed or something like that. Now, its claimed to be the name of Titan (uhm, why?), a game we know NOTHING about, and people are happy believing it is real.

-I doubt there would be two Hellscreams as Final Bosses two expansions in a row, both due to the faction bias that will be claimed and the repetition of having two expansions killing Orcs.

-Lastly, and perhaps most importantly and I cannot stress enough, WHY THE FUCK WOULD THERE BE LEGAL ISSUES NOT ALLOWING BLIZZARD TO CALL HIM GROM. In WoW, he is almost never called Grommash, only Grom, now all of a sudden it's illegal for Blizzard, the company the created him, to refer to him as such. Makes absolutely no sense.

Warlods of Draenor may just in fact be real, and time travel may play a role in it. But to accept these claims that it is going to be a time travel expansion, Horde focused (again), and then involve events that have no impact on the present story (changing shit it the past doesn't affect the present you came from, it creates another timeline), make these claims EXTREMELY unlikely.

No its a actually true and will be about time travel from a game design point of view. You're not a game designer(like myself), So you cant see the bigger picture and understand

Quote Originally Posted by m777 View Post
    No its a actually true and will be about time travel from a game design point of view. You're not a game designer(like myself), So you cant see the bigger picture and understand
    I concede defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by babo7000 View Post
    First off, let me say that while an expansion using elements of time/dimensions travel would be cool, a full fledged expansion about it would be absurd. It would not only confuse most players, it would create giant gaping plot holes in the games story (WotA and Thrall novel show how bad Blizzard is at executing time travel and keeping it in game). Anyways, I noticed a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon because of two threads claiming to be real (never been done before am I right). Anyways, I could be wrong, but here is why I honestly think, whether or not WoD is real, the plot being held heavily focused on time travel is most likely mere speculation.

-Scrolls of Lore posted about Warlords of Draenor before the thread on MMO-C popped up. So the fellow with one post didn't necessarily have inside information.

-Blizzard received flack for two expansions in a row being Horde-heavy. Now realistically, would the next expansion deal with the players helping the Old Horde after all of this criticisim. It would be a huge 180 on how they said next expansion would be Alliance-heavy.

-Those who never believed The Dark Below always said it was fake because the trademark wasn't legitimately filed or something like that. Now, its claimed to be the name of Titan (uhm, why?), a game we know NOTHING about, and people are happy believing it is real.

-I doubt there would be two Hellscreams as Final Bosses two expansions in a row, both due to the faction bias that will be claimed and the repetition of having two expansions killing Orcs.

-Lastly, and perhaps most importantly and I cannot stress enough, WHY THE FUCK WOULD THERE BE LEGAL ISSUES NOT ALLOWING BLIZZARD TO CALL HIM GROM. In WoW, he is almost never called Grommash, only Grom, now all of a sudden it's illegal for Blizzard, the company the created him, to refer to him as such. Makes absolutely no sense.

Warlods of Draenor may just in fact be real, and time travel may play a role in it. But to accept these claims that it is going to be a time travel expansion, Horde focused (again), and then involve events that have no impact on the present story (changing shit it the past doesn't affect the present you came from, it creates another timeline), make these claims EXTREMELY unlikely.
    You don't know Blizzard!

A fully fledged expansion about pandas would be absurd. Yet they made it.

They can pick any theme and make an absurd expansion and lose another 2-3 million subs.

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    You don't know Blizzard!

A fully fledged expansion about pandas would be absurd. Yet they made it.

They can pick any theme and make an absurd expansion and lose another 2-3 million subs.
    I don't know about you, but I find Pandas adorable. And it seemed to work out for Blizzard.

If you've ever talked to any of the Timewalkers on TI, they seem like a cool faction of people. Seperated into tiers of Weavers, Watchers and Wardens, they are the mortal version of the Bronze Dragonflight.

My prediction is that Anduin frees Garrosh, and somehow.. SOMEHOW Garrosh travels back in time to the pre-sundered Draenor in an attempt to undue the actions of the Orcish clans ever coming to Azeroth. This is retrospect would thereby erase history by destroying the Alliance and any non-Orc Horde members, stopping Arthas from ever becoming the Lich King, stopping the Legion from ever visiting Azeroth and the consequences they brought (Mount Hyjal, Scourge).

Looking at it from that point of view, the expansion theme is pure genius, this gives Garrosh the ability to destroy everybody he despises, and at the same time live out his dream of being an Orcish leader without Azeroth having ever existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    If you've ever talked to any of the Timewalkers on TI, they seem like a cool faction of people. Seperated into tiers of Weavers, Watchers and Wardens, they are the mortal version of the Bronze Dragonflight.

My prediction is that Anduin frees Garrosh, and somehow.. SOMEHOW Garrosh travels back in time to the pre-sundered Draenor in an attempt to undue the actions of the Orcish clans ever coming to Azeroth. This is retrospect would thereby erase history by destroying the Alliance and any non-Orc Horde members, stopping Arthas from ever becoming the Lich King, stopping the Legion from ever visiting Azeroth and the consequences they brought (Mount Hyjal, Scourge).

Looking at it from that point of view, the expansion theme is pure genius, this gives Garrosh the ability to destroy everybody he despises, and at the same time live out his dream of being an Orcish leader without Azeroth having ever existed.
    As I said, though it would be a cool idea, it would be a lore disaster, and have no implications or relevance to the current WoW story, not to mention the other points I listed.

10+ Year Old Account

Where did it say the expansion would be Horde focused?

Where did it say he would be the final raid boss? He could just as easily be the first raid boss, that ends up leading to much much more.

Personally I think I'm going to wait till blizzcon before I believe any leaks. Do I like the idea of Warlords of Draenor? Yes, but I also liked The Dark Below, and several of the other ideas, doesn't mean I'm going to bandwagon on to any side of the debate, everything is speculation up until blizzcon.

If content is good, why not?

Also a few more reasons:
    Draenor before the explosion, New planet, Burning Legion, Mannoroth Grom, Ner'Zhul, Clans! Lots of them, Turalyon, Khadgar, Alleria Windrunner, Kurdran Wildhammer, Danath Trollbane, Kilrogg
    What if we will see some events of the first and second War? or Maybe even related characters: the Opening of the dark portal, Gul'Dan, Lothar, Orgrimm, Tomb of Sargeras, Garona, Shadow Council, First Death Knights, Fall of Stormwind(hell yeah!), Enslavement of the Alexstrasza, Seige of the Grim Batol, Creation of Ogre Magi, Seige of the Blackrok, the duel between Doomhammer and Lothar.

Well thats pretty great if you ask me.
    Last edited by Dnusha; 2013-11-02 at 02:52 PM.

As I said, though it would be a cool idea, it would be a lore disaster, and have no implications or relevance to the current WoW story, not to mention the other points I listed.
    Not true. You see, recall correctly that when doing time travel instances such as Culling of Stratholme, our characters don't forget our actions. Think of it on that grand scale. That not only do us players go there, but Jaina goes there as well. Picture Jaina, the arcane genius that she is, tampering with bits of string and orcish babies that she knows will change the future.

Example: She discovers and murders the Orc responsible for the action of Theramore's destruction (carrying out the act, not Garrosh). This causes the timeline to skew off into a separate tangent, warping reality to a time where Theramore was never destroyed, Garrosh ordering a different Orc to do so and that Orc not being as successful.

Back on Draenor, we discover the lore of characters we know who can't keep their hands out of the cookie jar, who attempt to change their fates by simple tampering. Its up to us players to stop them and along the way learn something we may not have known. Maybe Velen wants an Orc dead because they slew his child? Theres always things we don't know in the past.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2013-11-02 at 02:52 PM.

Personally, i hate the whole "2 expansions heavily horde focused part" that people keep throwing out there. Just because Thrall, was like the big Savior in cataclysm? just because Hellscream was the last boss in MOP? You do know that most the time the game is advertised alliance are shown as "The good guys" and the horde "The bad guys" Hell when we heard about the movie for the first time Rumors said it would be through a Alliance POV

Scrolls of Lore posted about Warlords of Draenor before the thread on MMO-C popped up. So the fellow with one post didn't necessarily have inside information.
    what? where, who?

would the next expansion deal with the players helping the Old Horde after all of this criticisim. It would be a huge 180 on how they said next expansion would be Alliance-heavy.

all we know is that time travel and grom are involved. we have 0 other details. arguments moot.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly and I cannot stress enough, WHY THE FUCK WOULD THERE BE LEGAL ISSUES NOT ALLOWING BLIZZARD TO CALL HIM GROM. In WoW, he is almost never called Grommash, only Grom, now all of a sudden it's illegal for Blizzard, the company the created him, to refer to him as such. Makes absolutely no sense.
    he's already being referred to as gromash in hearthstone (http://media-hearth.cursecdn.com/avatars/33/662/643.png) which is the newest warcraft game atm.

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor - just deal with it already.

Deleted
    Don't get the whole "to much focus on horde" standpoint. Its horrible.
    Arthas was human and main antagonist, Tirion is human and he helped us, horde didn't complain about alliance focused expansion. (Bonus, Bolvar sacrificed himself and also human)
    Illidan was Nightelf and main antagonist, Maiev is was Nightelf and she helped us, horde didn't complain about alliance focused expansion. (Bonus, Akama used to be Draenei?)
    Kel'thuzad was human and main antagonist, Argent Dawn is mainly alliance and they helped us, horde didn't complain about alliance focused expansion.

Honestly get a grib, aslong as its all warcraft its both alliance and horde focused. Thrall is more or less a neutral character and Garrosh is certainly not horde following his actions in Theramore.
    Last edited by mmoc4ea3ad99ad; 2013-11-02 at 03:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    what? where, who?

all we know is that time travel and grom are involved. we have 0 other details. arguments moot.

he's already being referred to as gromash in hearthstone (http://media-hearth.cursecdn.com/avatars/33/662/643.png) which is the newest warcraft game atm.

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor - just deal with it already.
    Grommash is the full version for Grom. like Robert is for Rob or Bobby.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    something that i have found extremely hilarious throughout all this speculation is that people are just absolutely convinced that the expansion will deal with time travel. is there the possibility of it? im sure there is, but isnt there also a possibility that it isnt about time travel?

im just confused how people can assume one thing and not consider the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbsbear View Post
    Grommash is the full version for Grom. like Robert is for Rob or Bobby.
    i know. in games he was always referred to as grom though, now he's grommash.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    but isnt there also a possibility that it isnt about time travel?.
    yep. but we had 2 leaks saying it'd time travel themed, 1 of which got the title right . +there's all this time stuff going on in wow atm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    something that i have found extremely hilarious throughout all this speculation is that people are just absolutely convinced that the expansion will deal with time travel. is there the possibility of it? im sure there is, but isnt there also a possibility that it isnt about time travel?

im just confused how people can assume one thing and not consider the other.
    If the expansion name is Warlords of Draenor and based on Draenor(Which it will considering the name).
    Then it will be timetravel based because we can't go to Draenor in our time without timetravel.

Quote Originally Posted by parlaa View Post
    Don't get the whole "to much focus on horde" standpoint. Its horrible.
    Arthas was human and main antagonist, Tirion is human and he helped us, horde didn't complain about alliance focused expansion. (Bonus, Bolvar sacrificed himself and also human)
    Illidan was Nightelf and main antagonist, Maiev is was Nightelf and she helped us, horde didn't complain about alliance focused expansion. (Bonus, Akama used to be Draenei?)
    Kel'thuzad was human and main antagonist, Argent Dawn is mainly alliance and they helped us, horde didn't complain about alliance focused expansion.

Honestly get a grib, aslong as its all warcraft its both alliance and horde focused. Thrall is more or less a neutral character and Garrosh is certainly not horde following his actions in Theramore.
    So Kel'thuzad was killed and turned to a Lich and he counts as a human and alliance but Garrosh don´t count as a horde becouse of he´s actions in Theramore sounds legit. and Arthas could be counted as just as much horde as alliance probably more since he was Ner'zhul before possesing Arthas.
    Last edited by Raven; 2013-11-02 at 03:14 PM.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

yep. but we had 2 leaks saying it'd time travel themed, 1 of which got the title right . +there's all this time stuff going on in wow atm.
    http://dmreturns.wordpress.com/2012/...d-preview-wow/
    Also this leak, 1 year old predicted option to downscale gear:
    Exactly what happened in 5.4
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...ck-Blue-Tweets

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but please read my whole OP.

It was already known online that Warlords of Draenor was trademarked before the speculation post popped up. It was on SoL's Exp 5 speculation thread.

Also, the second 'leak' said he legally can't be called Grom. Does that make any sense?

Time Travel most likely will play a role next expansion, but I doubt it could carry an entire one on it's own while still remaining relevant and without retconning everything in WoW.

And Blizzard themselves said the next Expansion would be lead by and focus more on the Alliance, its not me faction bitching.
    Last edited by babo7000; 2013-11-02 at 03:17 PM.