Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

"Yeah, bend the lore, who cares."

Really tired of seeing speculations all based around the idea of, "Yeah, just bend the lore to have it fit, they've done it before."

Does that not immediately raise a red flag to you as a person, that in order for your idea to work, they must disregard lore they've built upon for years, just because you want (insert whatever here)?

the lore is not so important as u may think 95% of the players don't even care only the small group like to RP

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with having a huge and long lore timeline is that you often find the decisions you made for a story much earlier will make stuff further down the line more difficult to do and can often put limits on how creative you can be. Any writer knows the pain of this (except maybe George R.R Martin who plans to kill everyone anyway.)

I'm happy enough with lore bending if it makes sense or betters the story in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by m777 View Post
    the lore is not so important as u may think 95% of the players don't even care only the small group like to RP
    *Whacks with rolled up newspaper*

No. Don't be dumb.
    Butts.

Deleted
    I find that really hard to believe... what motivates people to even do things in this game if they care 0 about the story,lore and the reason why you are asked to do one thing or another... i think those numbers are just bs really tbh

I never thought I'd feel this way; but I do feel that the way they take the storyline in this next expansion will affect how much I will enjoy continuing playing. I haven't had any big problems with the storyline so far; I had to catch up on Warcraft 3 + TFT lore after I hit 70 in TBC, but since then, through Wrath, Cataclysm (which I genuinely enjoyed the story progression) and Mists of Pandaria...

But some of the things that have been suggested, especially the idea of time-travelling through WoWs lore being the main storyline (as opposed to instanced CoT raids and dungeons) and having whole zones and quest hubs being set back in time.... kinda turns me off a lot. The past is the past, I want to look to the future. If we have to go back to Draenor before it became Outland, have us do it via the Caverns. Not for a whole levelling 'continent' it will feel too detached from the current day Azeroth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazroshka View Post
    The problem with having a huge and long lore timeline is that you often find the decisions you made for a story much earlier will make stuff further down the line more difficult to do and can often put limits on how creative you can be. Any writer knows the pain of this (except maybe George R.R Martin who plans to kill everyone anyway.)

I'm happy enough with lore bending if it makes sense or betters the story in the long run.

*Whacks with rolled up newspaper*

No. Don't be dumb.
    While I agree with a degree of lore bending, there's a limit.

There are tons of lore bending situations where they were immediately given a decent reason as to why, I'm talking about complete disregard and no explanation just because little Timmy wants a demon hunter class.

Quote Originally Posted by melak View Post
    I find that really hard to believe... what motivates people to even do things in this game if they care 0 about the story,lore and the reason why you are asked to do one thing or another... i think those numbers are just bs really tbh
    i like lore myself but be real look at the players around u look at all the raiders they are there just for epics and PVPrs which is the majority of the game right now don't even know whos the king of stormwind and dont even start with casuals i dont know why they still play....

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    Really tired of seeing speculations all based around the idea of, "Yeah, just bend the lore to have it fit, they've done it before."

Does that not immediately raise a red flag to you as a person, that in order for your idea to work, they must disregard lore they've built upon for years, just because you want (insert whatever here)?
    It scares me when people are talking about time travel and say stuff like "Who cares if it doesn't move the story forward, I just want to see Grom again" or "Change the lore, can't be worse than <Cata/MoP>"

It indicates a lack of appreciation for the storytelling that, except for a few bumps, hasn't really been that bad.

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree. I think a lot of people simply don't understand the importance of the lore.

The reason there are so many epic boss fights in this game is because of the lore building up to them. If every boss was just a reskinned orc loot pinata, the endgame would be a lot less interesting.

I suppose if you like PvP endgame, the lore wouldn't matter. But then, PvP endgamers tend to not care about anything besides "class balance."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    i like lore myself but be real look at the players around u look at all the raiders they are there just for epics and PVPrs which is the majority of the game right now don't even know whos the king of stormwind and dont even start with casuals i dont know why they still play....
    To me it sounds like its the way you perceive the ingame environment, basically that's your opinion. I haven't ran into that many who were completely clueless about the warcraft story, maybe some young/new players who had not played the earlier warcraft games.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    This would be a logical train of thought if blizzard didn't already do it.

For years the Draenei were also natives to Draenor, had absolutely no connection with the burning legion whatsoever and look like what are now broken ones. Then along comes TBC and suddenly the draenei are space goats who look like eredar, who can't fly spaceships and crash land on draenor bringing the burning legion with them. And the broken ones are some sort of degenerate mutated version of draenei.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

imo lore is not important. it's a very small part of the game, that a very small portion of the fans truly care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    It scares me when people are talking about time travel and say stuff like "Who cares if it doesn't move the story forward, I just want to see Grom again" or "Change the lore, can't be worse than <Cata/MoP>"

It indicates a lack of appreciation for the storytelling that, except for a few bumps, hasn't really been that bad.

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree. I think a lot of people simply don't understand the importance of the lore.

The reason there are so many epic boss fights in this game is because of the lore building up to them. If every boss was just a reskinned orc loot pinata, the endgame would be a lot less interesting.

I suppose if you like PvP endgame, the lore wouldn't matter. But then, PvP endgamers tend to not care about anything besides "class balance."
    Exactly, the lore adds to the game in an invaluable way, and to tarnish this idea is a complete disservice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    This would be a logical train of thought if blizzard didn't already do it.

For years the Draenei were also natives to Draenor, had absolutely no connection with the burning legion whatsoever and look like what are now broken ones. Then along comes TBC and suddenly the draenei are space goats who look like eredar, who can't fly spaceships and crash land on draenor bringing the burning legion with them. And the broken ones are some sort of degenerate mutated version of draenei.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there wasn't much lore as to what the Draenei were doing during vanilla and during the last major encounter of them?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melak View Post
    Loot, Friends,Challenge or Gameplay?

10+ Year Old Account
    For me if there is no interesting lore, theres is no point for me to be playing.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

If it was all about the lore, people would stop playing the game once they knew the ending or experience the full story once. But people continue to redo the same story over and over because the gameplay is there.

Meh
    I Know it's hard when you think something is static even tho it's a totally fictional thing and suddenly they say all the red hats are now blue. ]
    Def worth having a tantrum over, being a fanatic and all.

God forbid they should change the mythology they created or expand upon in.
    God Knows Epics like Dune and the LOTR trill, never have been expanded.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

I think what it's setting up is that Wrathion and co go back in time and try to better things, leaving us with the mess that they've created. It's not there to retcon the story, we're most likely going to be set on duty to make things go as they were supposed to, meanwhile our characters also evolve along the way. Garrosh actually getting to follow and see his big daddy hero in action, and probably considering if it's a good idea or not to follow his ideal. Wrathion being tormented by the shadow of Deathwing lingering over him at all times, still not being free of him, which might push him to a breaking point. Thrall actually meeting his parents, but also standing face to face with Gul'dan, on top of that having to realize he needs to let things go their way and in the end let his parents die.

Lore is going to be bend horribly out of shape, but it's up to us to fix it up again. At least that's my theory. We get to see some of Warcraft's peak lore firsthand, but our characters still evolve, which means that we aren't stopped dead in our tracks as far as lore progression goes, and we'll get as close as possible to the current outcome that we are at right now, which somewhat makes it a win/win situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    First, as roleplayer who is doing online games for several decades now, I don't see in-game lore as an unyielding thing. I look at it and consider what my characters would know, what they won't know and if the designers have to bend it, then -hey- apparently what my character knew was not quite correct, everyone learns new things.
    Yes, it can and will be annoying, but Adopt, Adapt and Improve is a good rule here.
    And when trying to rob banks:
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

Here's another thought.

If there's no story and no lore, what inspires the character to do anything in the game?

What creates the world we play in?

A perfect example of a game that tries to cater to too many and it ends up looking disgusting is Saints Row 4.

One minute you're a thug, next minute you're on a land speeder that gained lifting abilities shooting aliens and hitting them with giant sex toys.

I can only see that as being entertaining if you're a child, or intoxicated/tripping hard core.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    Lore is going to be bend horribly out of shape, but it's up to us to fix it up again. At least that's my theory. We get to see some of Warcraft's peak lore firsthand, but our characters still evolve, which means that we aren't stopped dead in our tracks as far as lore progression goes, and we'll get as close as possible to the current outcome that we are at right now, which somewhat makes it a win/win situation.
    Indeed. There is quite a lot of character development and progression to be had with Garrosh, Thrall, Anduin and Wrathion. I'm sure Jaina and others will be up to something, as well.

We'll also learn a lot about the draenei before they came to Azeroth, and possibly take a better look inside Oshu'gun. And, of course, there's always some good Burning Legion development.