Poll: Your feelings for my dyer concept

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Lightbulb New profession idea: Dyeing

I just hope this post will get seen although the overload of "next-xpac" threads will probably cover this soon

So what I have in mind is a profession useful for purely aesthetic purposes (in fact inspired by transmogrification) that focuses on recoloring the various equipment of players trough the following ways.
    PS: this prof is meant to work well with Herbalism mats, and only applicable to epic items.
    PSS: I'll probably use bad translations about technician words so please if you are somehow a kind of painter, show mercy!

Luminosity: <- simple part of the profession
    brightening
    = allows to brighten up the item by up to 50%. Reagents: A (quantity based on 1=1% so 1min/50max)
    darkening = allows to darken down the item by up to 50%. Reagents: B (quantity based on 1=1% so 1min/50max)

Tonality: <- normal part of the profession
    Red = [from orange to violet] allows to change the tonality of the item to red-like. Reagents C+AorB (AorB quantity depending the intensity of the retouch, "max orange is 75A|25B", "max red is 50A|50B", "max violet is 25A|75B")
    Blue = [from violet to green] allows to change the tonality of the item to blue-like. Reagents D+AorB (AorB quantity depending the intensity of the retouch, "max violet is 25A|75B", "max blue is 50A|50B", "max green is 75A|25B")
    Yellow= [from green to orange] allows to change the tonality of the item to yellow-like. Reagents E+AorB (AorB quantity depending the intensity of the retouch, "max green is 75A|25B", "max yellow is 100A|0B", "max orange is 75A|25B")

Special: <- hard part of the profession
    Negative = [grants preview!] allows to reverse all the color for the selected item. Reagents: C+D+E (this is meant to be hard and expensive)
    Halos = [grants preview!] allows to create halos over the item, making it freaking brilliant thanks to magical colors. Reagents based on the color chosen and its luminosity, aswell as the extension of the halo.
    Touch-up = [grants preview!] allows to select a single color with a click on the chosen pixel of the item, so you can change that color type present on the whole item into a color of your choice. You can use Touch-up up to 3 times on the same item, no more. Reagents based on the color chosen and its luminosity. The elaboration process requires 10 minutes, you will mostly pay the dyer's patience!

As I got inspired by xmog for this, I wonder if xmog itself should be merged into this profession?.
    Hope you liked it, rate up or down

(this pic just to give you an idea about basic colors, but it helped me too)
    Last edited by mmoc0b7825fa66; 2013-11-03 at 02:03 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    The idea is nice. But unless there is anything with the proffession that can enhance power of characters in some way, very very few would pick up this profession.

And a profession that won't be picked up by many people is a waste of resources. even as a secondary profession.

10+ Year Old Account
    Way too fucking complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyfoxy View Post
    The idea is nice. But unless there is anything with the proffession that can enhance power of characters in some way, very very few would pick up this profession.

And a profession that won't be picked up by many people is a waste of resources. even as a secondary profession.
    I think there are many people that enjoy playing for the aesthetic of its character and would do lot of things to be unique and awesome ..anyway thank you

Nice idea tbh though it would probably work best as a secondary skill anyone can use like cooking.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

Shortly after transmog came out, a Blizzard employee commented on the official forum about the possibility of dyeing gear. To paraphrase, they basically said transmog was something they did instead of dyeing as they wound need to completely redo all of the gear in the game to support it. Also, we already have a lot of gear pieces with multiple colors anyway. Without coming out and saying it, they basically said it isn't going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I love dyeing gear in other MMOs but I don't see it happening in WoW.

edit: I haven't found the blue post yet but I did find this: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2842437071
    "12. I’d Settle For Dyes.

While simpler on the surface, dyes would actually be a far more complicated feature to implement for WoW than the Appearance Tab. While most of the coding for the Appearance Tab already exists in the game in one form or another, Blizzard has gone on record in the past to say that dyes are incompatible with the way gear skins are setup in WoW. In brief, to be done with anything resembling quality, dyes would require the devs to go back and split every item skin in the game down into its individual color sections, and resave them in new, larger formats. This would take a huge time investment and mean a significant increase in WoW’s file space. "
    Last edited by Nairb4; 2013-11-03 at 02:12 AM.

This has been thought of many many times already.... only new profession i seen being made is if they create a new system resource into the game

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricirich91 View Post
    I think there are many people that enjoy playing for the aesthetic of its character and would do lot of things to be unique and awesome ..anyway thank you
    I think you underestimate the importance of power enhancing when it come to profession picks. But as a secondary profession this idea could work. but not as a primary

Deleted
    I read that as dying, would be a rather weird proffesion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyfoxy View Post
    Do NOT underestimate the power of aesthetics in a game. People spend thousands of gold on how their character looks. Just look at transmog item costs, mounts, pets and other stuff that doesn't immediately improve your character's stats. Especially if it were to be a secondary profession.

I liked the dye system in GW2, but I felt like it was meh at the same time. I don't think dyes would really work well in WoW considering they would have to make new models for HC gear, which means people will cry about people who put more effort into the game getting unique armor models and weapon models.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit, I just want to customize my gear a little more, not do calculus.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    too complicated for something that should be easy. Nice idea, bad execution.

Deleted
    i would LOVE this, BUT it will be near impossible to make this work for all the million peices of gear in the game.

Wich will end up with ALOT of people whining why their piece A from boss Z glitches out and then another 1 why their green item from mob a in low lvl area 20, glitches out because of glitch ... etc etc etc

Basicly cool and awesome, but it will cost SO much resources and man hours to overhaul the whole item codes, that the only time we will see this if they completly rebuild wow engine and overhaul the whole game... and that will take YEARS and it will prolly be years before they even start so dont expect it before 2018 ...
    Last edited by mmoc1d6d8fe61c; 2013-11-03 at 02:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont like to stomp on peoples dreams and I do have a propensity toward complex ideas.

However, I suspect it would be most functional if it could be tied into inscription with a crafted inscription item that allows someone to pull open a color pallet box and choose from a bunch of tiny color swatches to change their armor piece's pallet.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    Do NOT underestimate the power of aesthetics in a game. People spend thousands of gold on how their character looks. Just look at transmog item costs, mounts, pets and other stuff that doesn't immediately improve your character's stats. Especially if it were to be a secondary profession.

I liked the dye system in GW2, but I felt like it was meh at the same time. I don't think dyes would really work well in WoW considering they would have to make new models for HC gear, which means people will cry about people who put more effort into the game getting unique armor models and weapon models.
    I am not underestimating the power of aesthetics. for a primary profession to not give any power enhancing is gamebreaking, of course there will be people that pick up the profession, but very few.

If there were some kind of power enhancing in this profession it would be ok. and this idea is something the OP spendt perhaps 30min to come up with and write this post. if blizzard would create this as a profession, they would include some kind of power enhancing in addition to what the OP wrote.

When i say power enhancing, i mean passive profession bonus, like Inscription got their shoulder enchants.

Edit: I would totaly be ok with this as a secondary profession.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a good idea, that will prbly never happen.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a nice idea in theory, with 1 major problem: How will you let it level beyond it's initial stages? I mean once you can do red, and know that red requires X old world herbs, how will you ever need anything but those old world herbs to make things red? Once you know it, it stops, no more leveling up needed.

The only solution to this problem would be to have the system work by having ilevel restrictions on the colours. So you can use Herb X to make things red, BUT only for gear that has maximum ilevel Y (where Y is the limit of that particular expansion). You can make this work I suppose, but you'd need to get a system that might not be very logical when you look at the herb icons to combine several herb sorts to make certain colours. Like Herb 2*A = red, but Herb 2*B = Blue, but then 1*A + 1*B = Purple. It can be made to work, but it wouldn't be very elegant imo.

Main problem I see with this though is that it basically steals the idea of Inscription of turning plants into coloured pigments and then dyes (inks). I don't think this is very elegant either. It makes the profession seem kinda shoe horned in, like there was a good idea that they wanted to implement, so here, we turned it into this plagiarist and wonky profession. The result of the profession would be cool and fun and wanted, but the experience in doing it would not be.

All in all, Blizz could make it work, but I'm not a fan of how this version implements the ability to change the colour of our gear.

You are trying to make it too complicated for the WoW profession system. None of WoWs professions are very 'deep'. They are simple crafts, usually with grind to get later patterns.

You could start out with basic tones at low levels and increase variety as people proceed; but there would have to be intentional hold back or lack of new palettes at some point in the future.

The only way to keep it simple for the crafting side while giving a large variety would be to have base color pouches be crafted, but make the dying part of an interface from an NPC or build it into the transmog interface.

I know if I was still playing, I'd be going for dark gray, dark blue, black, silver type sets depending on my mood. I have a green quality black set I love. This is another issue; if you limit it to purples, you limit the customer base; you want the profession to be at least somewhat profitable; or why not make it purely a gold sink for Blizz and remove the profession side of it. That is how it works for some games; or they have a mix of game currency purchased and profession purchased items.

If it is just a dye maker; adding it to an existing profession makes the most sense, and therefore it would seem inscription would be the best bet for that. They already mill herbs into pigments; just make them refine the pigments into dyes instead of inks. It could be possible to maybe add a ui element that would allow crafters to craft specific colors of gear by adding dyes into non-mandatory slots before crafting an item.

Getting the right variety of shades I would think could be an item clutter issue, it would literally add hundreds of dyes, while it may be possible to have less items and use a color wheel or slider that tells you how many of each dye you need at a NPC instead. Whites/Blacks to scale its brightness/darkness/grayscale. This would allow for using mainly primary colors plus white and blacks; 5 basic main dyes; while giving them some extra stuff they can do that would relate specifically to xpack/patch color schemes to give crafters some variety as well.

Regardless of implementation; I believe this is an inevitable step WoW will take; it just comes down to when and how they choose to make it happen.
    Last edited by CandyCotton Marshmallows; 2013-11-03 at 02:33 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    this would be awsome I would dye my gear all pink for my female blood elf priest lol

10+ Year Old Account
    i like the idea of dyeing but this does not need to be a profession. if they ever added this just make it something like transmog or reforging. go to a vendor and either buy the colors or just select them from a list and pay gold for them.