Poll: Next xpac release will be...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    That might be true, but I was talking about something else - increasing the team size by X% does NOT translate into X% more stuff, that's not how things work, and that's not the intention. Increases in output are much smaller than X% at first, and the aim is to get much more than X% later. I think that right now the team developing WoW is in the first phase, and will be there for at least a year.
    Which is why in addition to hiring more people, they made substantial changes to how they develop. Those two things go hand in hand and make for faster content releases. Again we have seen it happen in Mop so there is no reason why that faster pace of development can't and won't be applied to expansions as well.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    Theyve NEVER managed to release xpacs that fast lmao

where did u read this?
    It was something they announced when Activision took control of blizzard, right before Cataclysm happened.
    Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

--Auron, Final Fantasy X

Full Beta Testing of leveling, crafting, all the artwork, dungeons and first tier raids generally takes around 6 months. That's held true throughout, since TBC was announced. So the idea that we'll hear about Warlords of Draenor or whatever and be playing ANYTHING before summertime is very unlikely.

The ONE thing that is very likely about that supposed "leak" that said that the Horde would be able to play Mo'arg and the Alliance would be able to play Ethereals.... was the December 2014 ship date.

And frankly, that's distressing. I have no problem sticking around and if there really are as many changes coming as look to be coming then it will be worth all of that work, but I can't see folks sticking with Siege for MORE than a year.

That said, I dunno when they ship it before then. I don't recall a summer ship date, ever, for an expac. And that puts it at the earliest in the fall.

So even if there are no new races or classes (my guess) and the big reveal is a crafting revamp as opposed to a cooking revamp from MoP (my guess), the math of the development scheduling still puts it later in 2014 no matter what they do, where it is or what the story is.

So, we can guess all we like, but for sure, there's just no way we see anything ship before summer. We just know too much about how Blizz goes about it's game development to know that it could come sooner.

If it snows in south Florida, there will be an expansion at Christmas.

I cant believe Before Christmas is even a poll option... are you living under a rock?
    Free-To-Play is the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a pessimist - late summer (most likely end of August) 2014.

Deleted
    Its probably going to be Spring 2014, Christmas is unreal. there's no way they can finish the game + beta within a month

Quote Originally Posted by Mackeyser View Post
    Full Beta Testing of leveling, crafting, all the artwork, dungeons and first tier raids generally takes around 6 months. That's held true throughout, since TBC was announced. So the idea that we'll hear about Warlords of Draenor or whatever and be playing ANYTHING before summertime is very unlikely.

The ONE thing that is very likely about that supposed "leak" that said that the Horde would be able to play Mo'arg and the Alliance would be able to play Ethereals.... was the December 2014 ship date.

And frankly, that's distressing. I have no problem sticking around and if there really are as many changes coming as look to be coming then it will be worth all of that work, but I can't see folks sticking with Siege for MORE than a year.

That said, I dunno when they ship it before then. I don't recall a summer ship date, ever, for an expac. And that puts it at the earliest in the fall.

So even if there are no new races or classes (my guess) and the big reveal is a crafting revamp as opposed to a cooking revamp from MoP (my guess), the math of the development scheduling still puts it later in 2014 no matter what they do, where it is or what the story is.

So, we can guess all we like, but for sure, there's just no way we see anything ship before summer. We just know too much about how Blizz goes about it's game development to know that it could come sooner.
    There is no gosh darn hanky-spanky rootin' tootin' way the next expansion is still over a year away. Blizz may be sloooooow with releases and perfectionists with their software, but they're also a company. As in, shareholders. As in, people who have a stake in the company and who would be very distressed by the implications of another 13 months of SoO. The difference in subscribers lost, and the potential to pull players back for a new expansion, between a spring-summer release and a fall-winter release is undoubtably a 1,000,000+. That's a fortune in lost revenue investors simply wouldn't stand for, even if that slow development pace resulted in a magnificent expansion.

You say you don't recall a summer release for an expac, and that's true, but then again they've said they wanted to get expansion times down to 18 months. Inevitably, this means they intended for some winter and some summer releases in the future. I know they haven't lived up to the 18 month expac notion yet, but MoP was really the first one developed entirely with that goal/mindset. It makes sense that this would be the first one that really does finish up quicker, and make room for the next expac sooner, and so it makes sense that a summerish release date for the first time with this new expac would happen. So yeah, I don't buy into the summer release argument, or the year-long SoO argument, or anything else. I'll grant you that the timing is a little off only in the sense that alpha/beta doesn't make a ton of sense having the expac still unannounced, but at the same time, it doesn't make sense for a December release either.

My guess? June 2014 release, with the beta both starting sooner after Blizzcon than it has in the past, and being expedited to cut it's duration.

my bet is December/January for beta start, April for 6.0 patch and late May for expansion launch
    Last edited by LukePL; 2013-11-06 at 08:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sajin0084 View Post
    Blizz has often pointed out that they want 1 xpac a year released.
    Yes they've been saying this for years and it's never happened.

Also if it did happen then Siege would only be progression for three months and an utter waste of time. They learned their mistake about releasing an expansion too quickly before end-game progression was over with BC and Naxx40.

Typically with all expansions there is a year (give or take a month) between the announcement and launch.

MoP: Announced Oct 2011 -> 5 Months -> Beta Mar 2012 -> 6 Months -> Release Sep 2012

So I think anything prior to October 2014 is wishful thinking. Although I suppose it could be suggested that if a lot of the folks who were working on Titan are now back working on WoW.. perhaps the Beta will kick off sooner than it normally does as the expansion may be further into development. But previous expansions to MoP all had a similar time line when team numbers would have been higher.. so I wouldn't hold your breath.

They'll release it "when it's ready."

Deleted
    No, it has been over a year already...

Deleted
    Blizzard basically confirmed that beta testing for new expansions will take at least as long as it did in the past for previous expansions. MoP beta testing took about 6 months.

Next weekend at Blizzcon the new expansion will be announced (if not it would be the end of WoW, so they will) and very likely they will also have an estimate on the date they are planning to start the beta testing. Add 6 months to that and you have an estimated release date for the next expansion. My 2 cnts.
    Last edited by mmoc4741bd8e3d; 2013-11-06 at 08:43 AM. Reason: typo

Hmmmm May - June is my guess

Around May. Get ready to farm SoO over, and over, and over.... and over... and over and over and over. Hopefully some of the newer mmos knock it down a peg! Come on you ESO/Wildstar/EQN!

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Are we pretending that Blizzard didn't release TBC in a January and the fact they want 18 month expansion cycles now? Do the math. They can't have 18 month development cycles and only release expansions in a November. Forget when games were released in the past. In fact forget EVERYTHING about how Blizzard used to do things because none of that matters anymore. They have made significant changes to how they develop and who they hire and how many they hire and that has a huge impact on development cycles. We have already seen it at work in Mop with the content patches every 3 months so there is absolutely not one single reason in the world why Blizzard can't get an expansion out by start of summer.
    The release date for TBC kept slipping and it is most likely that having missed the Christmas period that decided to release the game as soon as possible even though January is far from ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Content is content. It doesn't matter how it is packaged, it is still content. If they can do content patches every 3 months (something they never did before) they can certainly do expansions every 12-18 months. Again this isn't the Blizzard of old. They have made huge changes to how the develop content since Cata and it isn't just lip service anymore because we have seen these changes at work in Mop.
    They have delivered a similar amount of content during MOP as they did throughout Cata the only difference being that it has been spread over more patches during MOP. Seeing as they have already missed a 12 month expansion cycle and beta testing periods usually last six months it is unlikely that they will release the next expansion within an 18 month cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Typically with all expansions there is a year (give or take a month) between the announcement and launch.

MoP: Announced Oct 2011 -> 5 Months -> Beta Mar 2012 -> 6 Months -> Release Sep 2012

So I think anything prior to October 2014 is wishful thinking. Although I suppose it could be suggested that if a lot of the folks who were working on Titan are now back working on WoW.. perhaps the Beta will kick off sooner than it normally does as the expansion may be further into development. But previous expansions to MoP all had a similar time line when team numbers would have been higher.. so I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Exactly what I was saying. But...if the leak is true that there are new playable races AND a new playable class along with new leveling tech and the crafting update...then December 2014 seems about right because that will be crazy ambitious and I would expect the beta to be closer to 8 months...

Quote Originally Posted by Beartastic View Post
    It was something they announced when Activision took control of blizzard, right before Cataclysm happened.
    sorry to burst your bubble but activision has had control of blizzard for much longer than that, its why the vast majority of vanilla/bc players hate wow. wrath was the start of the decline because activision started forcing blizzard to pump out half-assed content at a faster rate and it shows. The merger was being processed in 2007
    Last edited by rasako; 2013-11-06 at 07:56 PM.

So just under 2 months to not only fully test the expansion, but also shove in all the advertising and overload people with information about the next expansion before it goes live to get interest. Announcing a future game well in advance is beneficial, not just from a technical point of view, but also a marketing one. There is a reason why Blizzard announce expansions and games long before they are released, just like every other company.

It's wishful thinking to believe that they'll have a new sparkling expansion for you to play in less than 2 months, but we've got a long wait before the expansion is coming out. 5.4 has only been released, we still need to see the content that bridges the gap between Mists and the next expansion and we are also ignoring the fact that the next expansion hasn't even been officially announced yet. Realistically, we don't have a 100% clear idea what the expansion even is, only speculation for Blizzcon. To say it's too early to think about release dates is an understatement.