Trademarks listed in New Zealand and Australia, possability of SEA/Oceanic servers?

I am from Australia and the Oceanic community of players. Even since vanilla we have long discussed with blizzard (practically begging and shouting at them for over 9 years) to give the Oceanic and SEA community proper server support for World of Warcraft. Oceanic or "SEA" is compromised mainly of Australia, New Zealand and South Asia regions.

The problem is that Oceanic servers do exist in World of Warcraft, ever notice that little TAB in the server list with Oceanic? That's us. The problem lies with that these servers are actually hosted in the US, like any NA server, but are just labeled as "Oceanic" servers to split the community of SEA players away from NA.

I wanted to make this thread to discuss the possibility that blizzard may be hinting towards SEA/Oceanic servers? The latest expansion information (still unconfirmed if true or untrue) was officially trademarked in "New Zealand" and "Australia" a short time later. This got my attention.

It may be an overreaction, we still have no idea blizzards true goals or plans behind SEA servers or if this expansion information is credible, but lets discuss the fact that the trademarking in our region MAY or MAY NOT hint possibly SEA/Oceanic servers in the future (hosted in SEA region, not US).

Please keep it civil. <3
    Last edited by FearGX; 2013-11-03 at 05:27 AM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ehhh, maybe. Maybe they'll give Brazillians their own battlegroup as well.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FearGX View Post
    I know it is jumping the shark
    I'm not sure if you used the right phrase or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I'm not sure if you used the right phrase or not.
    I have fixed this, sorry.

I think it is too late in the life of WoW to look at Aussie servers. I also don't think that the trademark listings in Australia have anything to do with 'an aussie plan'.

More likely it is just that the approval process for the Aussie/NZ trademarks was fairly quick, the approval process may just be a bit slower on NA/EU areas.

Someone mentioned (think it was Darsithis) that they trademarked it in New Zealand and Australia because their TM processes are much faster than US or EU, so they could just file it shortly before Blizzcon and NA/EU laws would allow them to file trademarks there based on their already existing trademark applications.

The reason why the oceanic servers arnt located here is because Blizzard refused to pay the extremely high fees the telcos wanted to host the servers , end of story until prices come down , which they wont

I don't think they would have to trademark servers, nor would they name them. I also remember hearing somewhere that Telstra played a big part in no Oceanic servers, mind you that was years and years ago so who knows..

10+ Year Old Account
    Off topic a bit but is the trademark real? I know The Dark Below was removed and never passed. Did "Warlords of Draenor" Pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Zerkked View Post
    Off topic a bit but is the trademark real? I know The Dark Below was removed and never passed. Did "Warlords of Draenor" Pass?
    No, it is still "under examination". And it probably wouldn't pass until after Blizzcon anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FearGX View Post
    I am from Australia and the Oceanic community of players. Even since vanilla we have long discussed with blizzard (practically begging and shouting at them for over 9 years) to give the Oceanic and SEA community proper server support for World of Warcraft. Oceanic or "SEA" is compromised mainly of Australia, New Zealand and South Asia regions.

The problem is that Oceanic servers do exist in World of Warcraft, ever notice that little TAB in the server list with Oceanic? That's us. The problem lies with that these servers are actually hosted in the US, like any NA server, but are just labeled as "Oceanic" servers to split the community of SEA players away from NA.

I wanted to make this thread to discuss the possibility that blizzard may be hinting towards SEA/Oceanic servers? The latest expansion information (still unconfirmed if true or untrue) was officially trademarked in "New Zealand" and "Australia" a short time later. This got my attention.
    I think it just appears there first because their databases automatically update with new applications whether or not they've been formalized. Whereas other countries manually manage their IPO databases and might only publish applications that have been formalized and only publish on specific days of the week.

I for one would be sad to see all my Aussie and Kiwi guild mates go, but if it means a less laggy and more enjoyable experience then it would probably be in Blizzard's best interest to eventually go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I think it just appears there first because their databases automatically update with new applications whether or not they've been formalized. Whereas other countries manually manage their IPO databases and might only publish applications that have been formalized and only publish on specific days of the week.

I for one would be sad to see all my Aussie and Kiwi guild mates go, but if it means a less laggy and more enjoyable experience then it would probably be in Blizzard's best interest to eventually go that route.
    The issue there is what guarantees that Blizzard filed the trademark if there isn't any oversight on the application process? I remember raising that concern in the other thread, but then Boub posted the main page story so we all just assumed it was legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sul View Post
    The reason why the oceanic servers arnt located here is because Blizzard refused to pay the extremely high fees the telcos wanted to host the servers , end of story until prices come down , which they wont
    Internode offered to host WoW servers back in TBC but Blizzard refused their offer. I don't see Australian servers coming any time soon. Oceanic servers hosted in Singapore, maybe.

If I had to guess why Warlords of Draenor were registered in NZ first it would probably be because the IPONZ use a first to use rule for registering new trademarks, meaning whoever registers the trademark first have superior rights to anyone to tries to register it at a later date, so if it was registered in the US first and someone saw it and quickly registered it in NZ then Blizzard would need to buy that trademark off the person who registered it first.
    Last edited by Glurp; 2013-11-03 at 06:06 AM.

A lot of intellectual property stuff (e.g. trademarks, patents) are still administered nationally, if they weren't lodged in australia/NZ someone else could grab the TM there (at least under some systems of managing IP). All they're doing is protecting their IP in those regions. I did a law clerkship at an IP law firm after I graduated, every time one of our clients wanted a new patent I'd have to file paperwork for it in about a hundred countries :<

Wow is not a growing game, it is unlikely they will expand their servers. They have tried to bring up the issue of Australian servers a coupe of times already, the first time they gave players a choice between using the US servers and waiting 6 months after release to access the game but having their own servers and players chose to use US servers and have the game on release. the second time they contacted Telstra about hosting the servers in Australia and concluded it was too expensive (which they are completely correct about). Given where wow is at, and the absolute clusterfuck of a balance mess that is Oceanic servers (hugely Horde dominated as a group) it is unlikely they will be separated out. More likely that they will actually be virtually merged with other US realms to give them more balance.
    Last edited by Windfury; 2013-11-03 at 06:29 AM.