Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I love it, but the RNG makes me rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rioo View Post
    For me it killed the pet collecting. Before MoP I was quite close to 150 pets, but now I cba flying around in every zone fighting an absolute ton of pets with this really boring system. I've never been a fan of turn-based fighting - Heroes is probably the only game I like where they use it. Pokemon, FF, forget it. Most of the pets are also really boring critters, so that doesn't exactly help with the motivation to collect them.

So yeah, for me personally it's just wasted development time that could have been put into something else.
    I strongly agree that non pet battle collecting is way more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    Never played one :P
    Did try once on the ptr - but never learned the skill on live as i found it pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Tried it out, got a pet to level 14 (?) I think. Not interested in pet battling/collecting. Just...not interesting. Collecting them/leveling was rather dull, battling other players felt interesting for maybe 5 minutes. I can't even be bothered to grind out pet battling for the achievements, and I am an achievement junkie.
    You may want to give it another try

Here's my experience with the Pet Battles.

When it was introduced, I initially took part in them because I wanted to catch up, or maybe beat my woman on something collectible. She started playing WoW mid Wrath, while I started playing it mid Vanilla. She soon became a hoarder of things, amongst them pets and mounts. Right now she sits at 208 mounts, which leaves me in the dust by 52 mounts lol. On the pets, it's now the opposite. I sit at 551 unique pets at the moment, with all pets captured in the open at rare quality.

While doing the battles, I quickly learned how there's so much more to it. A pet isn't just a pet. They have quite a variety within themselves. Not only do they come in the 4 different qualities known: Poor, Common, Uncommon, Rare
    They also come in different breeds. http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/breeds/
    Plus, since the pets come in 10 different races (Families), it becomes even more fun. Since every family is particularly strong against one other family, but also very weak against one other family. http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5616541630

I know you haven't done this here, so disregard what I am about to say now..
    But anyone else who outright disses and bashes Pet Battles apparently never really done them. They are very complex in reality, and are a lot more than a simple catch pet, learn pet with no brain needed at all. In fact, they do require a lot of brain work.

So it is in fact, that Pet battles come in a rather greater variety nowadays. One can simply collect them as they stumble over them. Or one can put a lot of thought and effort into it, making Pet battles effectively a game of strategy and skill.
    It does, unfortunately rely a little bit too much on RNG when you play on the top scale. One hit, or one miss can seal your fate as either the winner or the loser of the battle. And when you fight other players at max level it is a lot reliant on what team of three pets you've picked, and what team of pets you are facing. If you're shit out of luck, the other player has by chance a team that completely destroys yours.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Completely ignored it at the beginning of MoP in favor of leveling up my characters, gearing and repping them, but started on them about a month or so into MoP because I'm a collector. I started getting into it when a guildmate was also starting, and we started competing to see who would have the most 25s at a given time. She eventually gave up after getting the Singing Cricket, whereas I decided to keep going. I currently have every pet as a rare 25, with the exception of a few raid drops, currently unobtainables and TCG pets.

I'd consider the base dodge chance the most horrible thing in pet battles, but luckily that was patched out. It caused me far more rage than raiding ever did.

Overall, I'd call it a success.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leveled up some originally and did the trainers. Slowly got into pvp battles and rounded out my team in anticipation of the celestial tourney which I now do for the valor and pets. Big fan, definitely want to see more in the next xpac.

Lol people that complain it's a waste of time, probably complain there is nothing to do either when there's never been so many things to do in-game.

Personally, I prefer the collecting, I need a more fully levelled diverse team to battle seriously, I'll do it one time.

I rarely do it as much now unless I remember, a weekend tournament or something would be cool, like fishing.

I think it's a good addition, anything added to give us more variation and options to game play are great.

It's also good it isn't a walk in the park, because some of it really isn't, the legendary pets and spirits etc, thats one of the things that makes it so good, it's not a faceroll at all, and to make it as easy as it can be, you will of spent a lot of time collecting and levelling perfect teams for specific enemies, so it's fun, time consuming and not a face roll = success.
    Last edited by Toiran; 2013-11-04 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highmitsu View Post
    Isn't the entire game by definition a waste of time then?
    You asked for the opinion and you got it. No need to downgrade others if they don't agree with you. For me it was fun at the beginning, later it become a boring grind only beaten by Emperor rep farm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I quite lost interest in pet collecting when battle pets came. In cata every new pet felt good as I only had ~151, but come MoP I could suddenly get 300 new ones in a few hours. Just lost most my interest i collecting at that point, simply due to having too many. Also, I don't really enjoy pet battling, just collecting and the insane amount ruined it for me.

Still think it's a nice addition to the game, just really not something I'm glad they did.

I found it boring when it was implemented and boring to this day.

It's just too...childish i guess? For me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    You asked for the opinion and you got it. No need to downgrade others if they don't agree with you. For me it was fun at the beginning, later it become a boring grind only beaten by Emperor rep farm.
    I didn't downgrade anyone, I merely asked a question in return. Don't need to whiteknight here.

Deleted
    Got 4 pets to level 25 and stopped, kept me busy for a couple of hours, all in all not a big fan.

9/10

great fan, spend much of my down-time doing pet battles.
    but RNG can be a real pain sometimes.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Quote Originally Posted by But I Hate You All View Post
    A waste of time.
    This is a video game. Everything is a waste of time.

I like them a lot more then I thought I would. At some points of MoP they were actually my favorite thing to do while I was online besides talk to some of the people on there. Without it I would have been unsubbed more then I was this past year.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that the process of a battle is really uninteresting, however, I do love the fact that I can capture other wild pets, or get more pets as rewards, like the pet battle daily quest bag etc. Getting pretty pets is all I care about, really
    Wish there were more options for all vanity items related to pets. Like the size boosting cookie. Speaking of those cookies, that npc sitting on a snail was a good way to buy them but then suddenly he was gone... I camped the area around the arena for two days and I haven't seen him. Gave up after that

Love them, they could be a little deeper though.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

Mostly terrible.

I think its a great side-game. Collecting them is as fun as ever and battling other people with weird pet combos is fun.
    For a pokemon wannabe they did an ok job. I hope they'll go for a bit more complex with their next expac.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best thing they ever added to WoW. If not for that, I'd have quit (and another -1 subs) because I've had enough of the people I had been playing with. It's nice to be able to do something that's solo in a game I've invested a number of years in without being forced to run with idiots!