Deleted

Can someone define what GSM is in terms of Mobile Gaming?

So, yet again my crappy tutor has given me an assignment on something that he hasn't been through, and alas, it is nearly impossible to find out GSM's definition and the part it plays in mobile gaming simply by 'Googling'. If anyone knows the answer, please do tell

Thanks guys,
    Josh

10+ Year Old Account
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question537.htm
    Second thing that pops up in google, it is a specific type of cellular service. You should try actually reading the webpages that google gives you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I should never really use Wikipedia, so unreliable...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question537.htm
    Second thing that pops up in google, it is a specific type of cellular service. You should try actually reading the webpages that google gives you.
    Yeah I've read that page, however it doesn't exactly explain how it applies to the gaming industry, which is what i've been set to research. I'm undertaking a computer game development course, and have to find out the limitations of GSM and 3GPP. If you would so kindly like to now explain how it works in terms of gaming, or quote this from that website, then I would be delighted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakoru View Post
    I should never really use Wikipedia, so unreliable...
    Wikipedia lists sources, use them.

If you would so kindly like to now explain how it works in terms of gaming, or quote this from that website, then I would be delighted.
    We can't do your homework for you (and I don't know the answer). But here's a thing: not every homework assignment is something you can just google and get your answer. Sometimes you have to think and put multiple sources of information together. Good luck.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Yeah I've read that page, however it doesn't exactly explain how it applies to the gaming industry, which is what i've been set to research. I'm undertaking a computer game development course, and have to find out the limitations of GSM and 3GPP. If you would so kindly like to now explain how it works in terms of gaming, or quote this from that website, then I would be delighted.
    Ehrm... Dude, you have the answers in the pages shown to you if you use your brain.

GSM is a standard definition for mobile communications. 3GPP is the entity that determines the minimum levels of service that a communication must have to be 2G/3G/4G etc.

Now, you can easily check the difference between the several generations of mobile communication, both in detail and in a more bird's eye view yourself, but long story short, they vary in latency and bandwidth. Now go do your own damn job, this is your homework. If you can't understand how basic concepts of communication apply to the gaming history, I might suggest you are in the wrong field of work entirely.

10+ Year Old Account
    3G/GSM sets requirements needed to bring considered compliant such as data rates. IEEE(international electrical and electronic engineers) would be a good source of technical information although it may not give you much information on how it relates to gaming.