Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

Teen gets kicked out of home and Dad and step mom take everything how is it legal?

http://www.thegailygrind.com/2013/11...i-c8uPY.reddit

So hes 18 just started college, got outed. Parents kicked him out, took his car, all his money that he saved up from working for 3 years (he had a custodial account) and canceled his phone that he payed for.

How is any of this legal? The police only let him get some of his stuff how could they not do anything about them stealing his car/phone/money

Discuss the topic at hand, which what the family did with the kid's finances.

Do not start any gay rights debates.
    Do not start any "homosexuality is a choice" debates
    Do not start any "homosexuals will burn in hell" debates

Any of those 3 will result in infractions and/or bans
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-11-03 at 05:23 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

It is legal because for 18years his parents gave him home and food. And I bet he must did something very bad to them. Maybe he was steel something or he is do drugs you know.

Because none of it was in his name.

He can still sue (civil) but he needs evidence.

So hes 18...
    Thats how.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post

Also this

im guessing the car wasnt in his name if they couldnt do anything about it

His phone was in his name, I'm sure his joined account also has his name on it. Not sure about the car.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarx View Post
    It is legal because for 18years his parents gave him home and food. And I bet he must did something very bad to them. Maybe he was steel something or he is do drugs you know.
    Erm kids doesnt own anything to their parents for them feeding him for 18 years, it's in the law to actually provide for your children, so no, they cant take away the kids own earned money.

10+ Year Old Account
    His parent giving him food and home for 18 years do not make it legal for them to take money he earned by working, if it was his allowance coming from them in the first place it would been different.

10+ Year Old Account
    He liked a bit of cock and fanny, I'm not sure that qualifies as having done something very bad to them.

And coming from a Greek? Our ancestors invented that shit.

Deleted
    If it's in his name, its theft. - Call the police
    if it's in the parents name then its reposition. - Nothing can be done
    kicking him out of the home is a family matter. - Don't get involved

Doing it because he is BI, is just a shitty attitude on the parents behalf, nothing can be done about that I am afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    His phone was in his name, I'm sure his joined account also has his name on it. Not sure about the car.
    "Joined" being the keyword. If your parents have their names on it, they can raid it.

If the phone was solely in his name, they couldn't cancel it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Why would he have a joined account in the first place?

Either way, those parents are huge ass-holes, but I don't think he can do much about it.

Deleted
    But this is still stealing...right?

His dad may have kept him fed and clothed for 18 years at least but to 'take' his car and phone and saved up money is downright stealing, parents or otherwise.
    And doing it because he is bi, if this is the only reason this has happened, he should take them to court and get all his stuff back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be sure that he may or may not have done something bad. I had a friend who came out gay (before 18) and his parents took everything from him and he was grounded for quite a long while. Also it says he's from Georgia... OH LAWDY! The gays (bisexual is considered gay to them and it technically is if you think about it) be taking over our lovely godly country!

That kind of thing is how I describe the South because I live in it, I feel sorry for any gay people down here, they get discriminated so hard.
    Hey everyone

I believe it is illegal for them to take the money from the custodial account. He was the beneficiary and it was legally his money.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Lemur View Post
    But this is still stealing...right?

His dad may have kept him fed and clothed for 18 years at least but to 'take' his car and phone and saved up money is downright stealing, parents or otherwise.
    And doing it because he is bi, if this is the only reason this has happened, he should take them to court and get all his stuff back.
    It isn't stealing when the title, accounts, etc have the parents name on it. It's sleazy, but legal.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't stealing when the title, accounts, etc have the parents name on it. It's sleazy, but legal.
    Worse part is, his parents probably gave it to some church. I really dislike the South and how radical Christianity can get down here.
    Hey everyone

Stealing some trivial amount of money from your parents or doing drugs=having everything you've owned/saved (the money in the bank account from working, yes, the car, phone, home w/e all can still be in his parents jurisdiction) taken from you?

Stealing and drugs are not inherently that abhorrent. I doubt whatever any fairly normal 18 year old did justified the response, not that his parents may not have had the legal ability to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on state law, it might also be illegal to evict/kick out someone from their legal residence without warning. This even applies to parents kicking out children.

Deleted
    Nonsense.

After you turn 18 you become an independant being. The problem is that his bank account was one of those custodial accounts where the parents can claim any kind of bullshit excuse and it will hard to prove otherwise, and i'd bet the car+phone were registered in his parents name.

I would find a lawyer and sue the parents if the amount in the custodial account was significant, though it probably isn't more than 200$ at which point it hardly matters.