Thread: Gaming Laptop

10+ Year Old Account

Gaming Laptop

I understand that gaming laptops truly aren't ideal for gaming I have got a military buddy who moves around more often than not and he want's a new gaming computer. Instead of building a desktop he has been considering a Laptop instead. I think his budget is around 1500-2000$ and i was wondering what ya'll consider a good place to begin looking for a gaming laptop. I know that Alienware is overpriced and what not. I hear good things about Samsung but not 100% sure.. Any tips/advice would be appreciated. TY in advance.!~
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    In fact, I'd argue $100 for a bottle of scotch to drink while you're building it would be the best use of your money - but then, who wouldn't?

10+ Year Old Account
    well, for starters don't buy an asus laptop, you will rue the day you did when you have to call their support

Sagers are good, but they will cut all support for older products when a new generation of hardware arrives

MSI has a good laptop they have been advertising all over the place, also, for laptops alienware isn't that bad, mostly what you are paying extra for is Dell's support

you need tyo ask your friend a few questions:
    what you need to look at is what size do you want? for a desktop replacement 17" is pretty standard, but if you plan on hooking up an external monitor keyboard an mouse, size doesn't matter, also, what kind of performance are you looking for? an i5 and gtx-760 are par, if you want to match that in all games, you may have to adjust your budget, or adjust your performance hopes

once you have those questions answered you can start looking at hardware

one thing else, what ever you get, get an SSD in it

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    Or, at the lower price-range, at least a HDD with a 32GB SSD cache combo drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for the quick reply.

I just built my PC and as far as i know he want's basically the same performance I am getting. I have an i5-4670K, GTX 770, With an SSD and 8 GB of ram. I know a fir bit about computers and what is strange is i have had an Asus laptop for about 4 years now and I love it.

I am going to really look into the MSI ones. I have also heard/read some good stuff about them. The comment about Alienware was really only that i feel they are overpriced. But bringing up the fact that is for the Dell support makes a lot of sense.

Thanks again.
    In fact, I'd argue $100 for a bottle of scotch to drink while you're building it would be the best use of your money - but then, who wouldn't?

15+ Year Old Account
    well, for starters don't buy an asus laptop, you will rue the day you did when you have to call their support
    Never had any problems with my ASUS customer support.

This is probably the best advice you can get (still need to do it myself actually...).

If your buddy feels like going all out he could also consider cramming as much extra memory as the system will support.

For military travel, also make sure he gets a good sturdy travel case for it as well, will help keep it save from bumps and dust in transport. (My first gaming laptop went to shit after it met the Afghan stand )
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    For military travel, also make sure he gets a good sturdy travel case for it as well, will help keep it save from bumps and dust in transport. (My first gaming laptop went to shit after it met the Afghan stand )
    I think it is funny you say this because we just gopt back from an over-seas deployment (Navy/Marine LHD life) and his laptop really took a beating. His screan got a crack which is just spreading and the monitor basically is falling off haha. It still works and he usually hooks it up to a stand-alone monitor but still. It got battle-hardened.

Deleted
    ASUS Republic of Gamers G75VW-AH71 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop $1199

Intel Core i7-3610QM Quad-core 2.3GHz Processor
    8 GB DDR3
    750 GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
    17.3-Inch Full-HD 1080p LED Screen, Nvidia GTX 660M 2G GDDR5 Graphics
    Windows 8
    http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Gamers-G75VW-AH71-17-3-Inch-Gaming/dp/B009M2XB3U/