Im here writing this out of sickness, my eyes are bleeding thanks to the quantity of ppl saying "raiding is easy" "the game is easy" "wow was better in vanilla".
Lets start saying that I've been playing WoW for several hours everyday since 2004. I experienced every content in the game to the fullest, every difficulty, size, type, EVERYTHING.
I personally am the kind of player that does everything in the game, even the stuff that nobody cares about like finishing the game to 100%, even completing the last quest.
The important part of this topic:
People have been saying raiding is easier lately, its not and I will explain why its not and why it feels easier.
Many years ago players werent experienced enough, the game was new, everything was a little bit new for all of us except for the small bunch of players that came from another MMO, and eventhough it was new for them also.
If you take a dedicated look into every single boss fight from Vanilla to WOTLK (instead of going to forums to say exactly the same everybody else says) you will find out the following:
1) Bosses have less quantity of mechanics.
2) The mechanics are pretty basic, based on a game that was way more basic (we are talking about many years ago).
3) Performing such mechanics didnt require as much coordination, in general.
What really was "harder" "annoying" and such was the PREPARATION TO RAID, Yes, preparation. Why? Well simple enough:
1) In vanilla many raids required resistance gear that came from long farming and crafting.
2) No gold inflation with prices for said resistance gear been high.
3) Attunements, many raids required a quest chain for you to be able to JOIN that raid.
4) Crafting geared "required" by many guilds.
5) Consumables required some farming time.
6) Most of guilds wouldnt take you without blue set gear (back in Vanilla and also happened in BC a bit too)
7) To farm such gear you needed a lot of time and doing dungeons without a "queue" button, it ment that you had to fly to the dungeon after getting a group that might have had a person leaving in the middle of the run which meant you needed to find someone else, fly to a city, spam trade chat, etc.
I hope you all see what I am talking about even when my english is pretty bad, raiding itself WAS NOT harder, the preparation was harder.
And for the PVP side of the game we can say that Arenas brought the real "skill based" pvp gaming eventhought some comps were/are better or OP. PvP requires skill maybe.
In my opinion more skill than PvE, PvE is about awareness, knowing your class and "fight studying" for progression plus improvising on specific situations.
Thanks for reading.
Sorry for bad english.