Class questions (complexity/viability)

I am considering dusting this game off and picking it up again, since I'm a big Star Wars fan (next to Lord of the Rings, it's one of the main settings that I absolutely love). I haven't followed much of anything regarding how things have changed, so I'd essentially be going in blind. I absolutely love Force-using characters because Jedi/the Force is what makes Star Wars be Star Wars for me and not some generic sci-fi setting.

That said though, I dislike highly complex priority systems; to give you an idea of what I mean I do not like how WoW has progressed, while I absolutely loved Wrath-era Retribution and Protection Paladins, and Rift as it was at launch and before Storm Legion. I find that highly complex priorities don't compute and I easily mess them up.

I have seen it recommended elsewhere that a "Focus Guardian" (and I guess, the Sith equivalent?) are fairly simplistic to play without being undesirable. I've also seen the Mercenary Bounty Hunter recommended, but this of course isn't a Force-using lightsaber class. So my questions are:

* Is a non-tank Jedi Guardian (or Sith equivalent) viable as a DPS class, and more importantly are they desired in group content? Not looking for super top of the line, but don't want to be told "tank or GTFO" as I'm trying to avoid tanking lately as it burns me out.
    * Is there a lightsaber class which does NOT have a complex priority system? I don't mind managing a handful of cooldowns or debuffs, but I don't want to have to watch timers or procs or what have you as I don't find it fun when I have to micromanage, and I greatly miss the days of simplified rotations or very light priorities.
    * If there really isn't a lightsaber class that can do what I want (or if they can but are low to the point of not being wanted), then what options exist for someone who doesn't want anything very complex, if there is anything at all? I'd like to avoid the Imperial Agent as I don't have an interest in that, although the Bounty Hunter seems pretty cool.

15+ Year Old Account
    Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors are both fairly straight forward in terms of their gameplay. There's a little bit of button bloat (ie attacks that function the same as others, and are just stronger and with a cooldown) but not even close to the extent that Rift is where you literally couldn't function properly without macros.

Buffs and cooldowns are quite simple and intuitive as well, and you're not gonna have to worry about anything like playing a Rift BM warrior where you had to manage a bajillion bleeds.

Jedi Knights and Sity Warriors have an advanced class that is pure DPS and an advanced class that is either DPS or tank. Both are competive in the endgame.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I've only played the lightsaber classes as tanks so far, Assassin and Jug. So far I've seen that all classes perform well enough to be brought for anything and I can't say I've seen anything so bad as say..... old time stacking mages or raid stacking shaman.

ONly thing about guardian/jugg is that the middle dps tree is all about watching for a key cooldown to be reset on a procc for you main damage source master strike/ravage. I tried to stick with dps builds, but get sucked over to tanking for facerolling through everything short of same level flash points and heroic fours with my healer companion (oh and as a jugI get to freely force choke without channeling it while I bitch slap someone else... add on my healer? /backhand or /pommelstrike for guardian)

I highly advise checking out the Agent storyline. It's like James Bond, in a galaxy far far away, with hookers and black jack, and space booze.

1. Guardian/Jugg are absolutely viable as DPS.

2. Guardian/Jugg is definitely not super complex in terms of a bunch of different mechanics. They mostly just focus on rage/focus management and a priority rotation. I have Vengeance specced Juggernaut and that's one of the things I really like about the spec. It's very straight-forward and it plays how I think a Juggernaut would play. Not a lot of flash, just big hard hits with a single lightsaber.

3. As far as non-lightsaber using classes I would say Commando/Mercenary would be next on the list with similar rotations, where it's more ability and resource management than proc management.

Quote Originally Posted by noahjam326 View Post
    1. Guardian/Jugg are absolutely viable as DPS.

2. Guardian/Jugg is definitely not super complex in terms of a bunch of different mechanics. They mostly just focus on rage/focus management and a priority rotation. I have Vengeance specced Juggernaut and that's one of the things I really like about the spec. It's very straight-forward and it plays how I think a Juggernaut would play. Not a lot of flash, just big hard hits with a single lightsaber.

3. As far as non-lightsaber using classes I would say Commando/Mercenary would be next on the list with similar rotations, where it's more ability and resource management than proc management.
    did they get an update (i been gone for about 6 months)

last I heard everyone was complaining about them in pvp AND pve.

Well, with Gunnery Commando/Arsenal Mercenary (the oh God so fun Merc/Comm spec), yes, getting that proc for Barrage/Curtain of Fire to make your Unload/Full Auto come off CD and get boosted in damage, but otherwise, it's just keeping your buffs/debuffs up (not difficult) and making sure you don't run out of/max out your Ammo/Heat.

Plus, if you want to do some extra stuff, you can buy the Field Respec, and swap from a DPS Merc/Comm to the healer one (if healing is something you're interested in) to more viable to FP/Ops/WZ groups.

While I have yet to get very far with a guardian/Juggernaut, my Marauder (two lightsaber, but DPS-only), in Carnage spec, is utterly enjoyable to play. I find it's kind of reminiscent of Wrath-era Feral Cat DPS, only the entire thing is "John Fucking Madden" and you just start hitting shit if you have a GCD available and the ability's not on CD. Plus, they have some of the best defensive cooldowns (able to deal with a ton of stuff, though you're likely to die when your CDs start running dry).

Quote Originally Posted by bolnahalke View Post

I really don't follow the massive QQ crowds. I am enjoying my Commando just fine in PvP & PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by bolnahalke View Post

Sort of. In the Rise of the Hutt Cartel the class was retouched. Kolto Grenade was made baseline for all specs for increased survivability. Heat Seeker Missle damage got boosted slightly. Then some other changes I am not remembering off the top of my head.

They also got a new ability called Electro-Net on a 90 sec cooldown. Its a snare-DoT that increases in damage the more the target moves. While the DoT is on it is impossible to use any movement enhancers. Things like leaps, rolls, force speed, etc. Really great unique cooldown.

All-in-All Bioware has done a great job of balancing (when they balance things). People were clamoring for more buffs but after using them I want to say the changes Bioware made was right on the money. There are still other classes that need to be looked at particularly scoundrel scrappers but balance wise in this game you could do a whole lot worse.

Deleted
    Merc's/commando's are atm one of the "worst" classes in PvP, easy to lock down and the dmg easaly avoidable.

OT:
    Jugg/guardian dps is viable, just not as good as mara/sent atm.
    Jugg/guardian dps rotation is pretty straightforward only thing you have to watch if spec'd in rage/focus is the amount of stacks you get from force crush/force exhaustion.
    Most classes/specs are fairly simple rotation wise, guess the most complex is combat sent/carnage mara.