Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

When do most people move out?

Tl;dr Just like the title says. I just need some perspectives from different people to help understand this whole moving out process.

My father's alright with me staying in his place after I graduated a couple of months ago but I'm still wanting to get out. It's not a bad place to live at and it's a pretty big property with the usual pazazz like room, internets (Although it's barely faster than 1MB and it's split with five people... up to 8mbs my ass), and one meal a day with eating potato chips throughout the day that's questionably healthy but isn't my place to try and change that since it's his place. My grandparents are nearby, I have my own room and I don't have to share with my sibiling. It's nice, yeah?

But my god it's so boring.

I haven't been in contact with someone remotely close to my age in a long while with my little brother being the closest to my age but he's going through teen angst... and our interest isn't exactly the same. Waking up day in, day out sitting on this computer trying to find a job only to find out I'm not even worthy to scrub the toilets in fast food is getting really boring, there's this technical college that I want to go to be a welder a couple of miles from where I live that has room and board but isn't covered by the FAFSA alone.

However, I'm learning to drive at the moment and I'm getting my driver's license soonish but that'll bring problems. Because while I can drive and there's a car gas cost money and we're in the middle of nowhere with town being at least two miles away. A nice, luxurious walk through tall grasses, the sounds of semis, and ditches

It really bites how everything seems to be tied with money but I guess that's the world we live in and it's just a matter of being patient while I shotgun blast applications before I begin transition into the real world. It's funny though, I'm losing money trying to find a job since I have this prepaid phone and the calls are just eating away my phone time.

How'd you guys do it? Were you as clueless as I? I imagine you guys didn't have to fall back on a forum to find your gem of wisdom but I'm really just dying laying around doing nothing.

Deleted
    Usually after college.

Age 20-22.

Deleted
    there was a recent statistics in germany that most german peope move/moved out with 25. I moved out with 18, going to university

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vogelweide View Post
    there was a recent statistics in germany that most german peope move/moved out with 25. I moved out with 18, going to university
    I'm guessing you're from Germany? Is uni really cheap there for some reason? I'm from America, specifically southern Texas so it isn't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    How'd you guys do it? Were you as clueless as I? I imagine you guys didn't have to fall back on a forum to find your gem of wisdom but I'm really just dying laying around doing nothing.
    I moved out when I had a girlfriend serious enough to move out with. That was in my third year of university. But, obviously, I wasn't laying around doing nothing because I had money to move out and managed to find and keep a girlfriend.

So... I don't know what to advise. Get off your butt?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Moved out when I was 19. Got a place with a couple of friends. Had a job already.

To be honest, 2 miles isn't really that far, you can walk. And it's not possible you're underqualified to clean toilets. Suck it up and live there until you can support yourself. You can't live on your own without money and/or a job. Unless your idea of "moving out" is living underneath an overpass or inside your local dumpster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the person. My sister went away for Uni at 18, came back and is still living here at 24 ( doing a nursing degree and can't afford to live on her own). My brother also went away for Uni, but decided to stay where he studied (Leeds), and now has a job in London at 21.
    I'm going away for Uni in September and realistically I don't want to live at home again, other than during the holidays, I know what I want to do and where I want to do it so hopefully I can manage on my own unlike my sister.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I've already gone around in my town applying for jobs. Haven't done so this week but I'll try it again to see if it reaches to fruiton.

So far the multiple gas stations aren't hiring, there's a couple of burger joints that don't need anyone, I dunno if I could just waltz into my old school and get a job. They'd probably just call campus security on me or something... I tried a dollar general and dollar tree, got an interview, but someone else got those jobs.

Moved out with 22... directly when I started to attend university. Still not fully independent tho, for rent is being paid by my parents.

Get a job. People bitch that there aren't any jobs available when they apply, when in reality there aren't jobs for things they want to apply for.
    You'd be hard-pressed living anywhere that doesn't have a plethora of physical labor intensive jobs. It's just that people don't want to do really hard work for minimum wage (or at all).

You're not going to get anywhere if you limit yourself to indoor menial jobs that provide air conditioning and require zero effort.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by runedhill View Post
    Get a job. People bitch that there aren't any jobs available when they apply, when in reality there aren't jobs for things they want to apply for.
    You'd be hard-pressed living anywhere that doesn't have a plethora of physical labor intensive jobs. It's just that people don't want to do really hard work for minimum wage (or at all).
    Alright, I'll try to look around in town again. I'm not in a big city and I certainly couldn't walk 25+ miles. Two miles I can do, twenty five I can't.

Tl;dr Just like the title says. I just need some perspectives from different people to help understand this whole moving out process.

My father's alright with me staying in his place after I graduated a couple of months ago but I'm still wanting to get out. It's not a bad place to live at and it's a pretty big property with the usual pazazz like room, internets (Although it's barely faster than 1MB and it's split with five people... up to 8mbs my ass), and one meal a day with eating potato chips throughout the day that's questionably healthy but isn't my place to try and change that since it's his place. My grandparents are nearby, I have my own room and I don't have to share with my sibiling. It's nice, yeah?

But my god it's so boring.

I haven't been in contact with someone remotely close to my age in a long while with my little brother being the closest to my age but he's going through teen angst... and our interest isn't exactly the same. Waking up day in, day out sitting on this computer trying to find a job only to find out I'm not even worthy to scrub the toilets in fast food is getting really boring, there's this technical college that I want to go to be a welder a couple of miles from where I live that has room and board but isn't covered by the FAFSA alone.

However, I'm learning to drive at the moment and I'm getting my driver's license soonish but that'll bring problems. Because while I can drive and there's a car gas cost money and we're in the middle of nowhere with town being at least two miles away. A nice, luxurious walk through tall grasses, the sounds of semis, and ditches

It really bites how everything seems to be tied with money but I guess that's the world we live in and it's just a matter of being patient while I shotgun blast applications before I begin transition into the real world. It's funny though, I'm losing money trying to find a job since I have this prepaid phone and the calls are just eating away my phone time.

FYI, 8Mb/s == 1MB/s. Bytes and bits are not the same thing. Anyway...

I think everyone is pretty clueless at first. I moved out a week before my 18th birthday. I worked crappy min. wage jobs to get by and that part sucked, but I was having fun. Of course, I was just dicking around in community college wasting time. I grew up, became more responsible, taught myself a skill, got a career, and do well now. It takes time and experience.

Of course, if you _can't_ move out because of money issues, then I don't know what options you really have. You'll need to save up some before you can do anything about it.

Alright, I'll try to look around in town again. I'm not in a big city and I certainly couldn't walk 25+ miles. Two miles I can do, twenty five I can't.
    Not having reliable transportation is a problem. I assume since not a large town there isn't much public transit? Do you have any friends that work at places you might be qualified for, to carpool with?

Edit: I'm assuming by how you phrased it that you don't drive and/or don't have a car you can always use.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was 24 when I fully moved out. Went to University at 18, moved back home at 22 after I completed my masters. I continued to live at home for a further 2 years while I built up some savings.

TBH, each to their own, I know some one who left home at 16 and I still know someone living at home at the age of 32.
    Last edited by Seme; 2013-11-04 at 10:50 PM.

depends on too many factors.
    most important one being where you live.

I'm nearly 24 and I don't see myself moving out any time soon, certainly not in the next 2-3 years. Ditto for all of my irl friends of my age group and a lot of my ingame friends aswell who don't live where i do.

I moved out when I was 19. 1 month before I turned 20. Moved together with my girlfriend

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Not having reliable transportation is a problem. I assume since not a large town there isn't much public transit? Do you have any friends that work at places you might be qualified for, to carpool with?

Edit: I'm assuming by how you phrased it that you don't drive and/or don't have a car you can always use.
    My father's fine driving me to work and back if I ever did land a job. I'm also getting my driver's license soonish in maybe two weeks or three so I can drive myself and bum a bit of money for gas from family. I only have permit atm.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    sounds like your at a disconnect from your parents. If I lived with my dad I would call it HOME not his place. I would only call it his place if I lived with a friend and was staying for a bit. You also cant figure out how to get into the kitchen and make some food other than potato chips? Just the two alarming things I found on that post but anyways I moved out when I was 18 out of my dads house was still going to highschool moved in with my mom stayed untill I was 22 had a job the whole time moved out with my cousin we got our own place still to this day

My father's fine driving me to work and back if I ever did land a job. I'm also getting my driver's license soonish in maybe two weeks or three so I can drive myself and bum a bit of money for gas from family. I only have permit atm.
    Ok, just going to say that if you live somewhere that requires having a car, and you can't drive one alone and don't have one anyway... you're not quite ready to move out by yourself yet.

But it would still be a good idea to do something productive with your spare time. A job, even at some crappy retail place or restaurant or anything, gets you off your butt. You meet people. You'll develop a new circle of friends, most likely, who will be up to other things that might get you moving.

That's all of my wisdom. I'm spent. Whew!

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably varies pretty widely from country to country. In the west, I think most move out either right before or after university.

I moved out a couple years after I finished school. I don't remember my exact age now, probably 23 or so? My first job after graduation was minimum wage, less than 20 hours a week (retail; you had to work there a year to even qualify for more than 20 hours) and my income wasn't even enough to afford food, much less rent and bills and stuff. I moved out when I got a regular job and a person to split rent with.

Cost of living here is high, though.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |