Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    Its a give and take with pros and cons either way, but for me the pros of moving out at 19 (freedom, independance) far outweighed the cons (lack of free room & board).
    For me, at the moment the alternative to living with my mother would be living in a students' flat-sharing community.
    And oh god, this is probably the last thing I'd ever want to do.
    Yes, you don't have to live by the rules of your parents - but on the other hand, you have to find common ground when it comes to a lot of other things.
    Definitely more annoying imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    Definitely more annoying imo.
    In my case, I had 2 brothers going through college as well at the same time so 66% of my roommate situation was totally cool - and with the remaining 33% it was usually a good friend of at least one of us. That made it pretty easy to deal with. But yes - having to have 3 stranger roommates and deal with their drama & stupid would be pretty tough.

Dorms? Pht - wouldn't touch that with a 10 meter cattle prod.

Deleted
    A lot of people here either:

Move out @ 18-19 when going to study somewhere several km away.
    Move out @ 22-23 when done with studying
    And everything in between.

Me and my GF went living together when i was 23. However i allrdy practically lived @ her dorm for a year.

The job hunt is all the same atm. Freshly graduated in digital marketing & interaction design, i can't even find a job, and my field is rather booming.
    Luckily im blessed with more hours working 35h/w at a grocery store earning around 1600 a month, which (in combination with GF's wage) is plenty. It's a "dumb" job, but the colleagues are fun (and alot of them in the same boat), and it pays. It takes away alot of stress caus you dont need to force yourself to look for jobs you dont like and "shotgunblast" trough them. You can actually focus on something that suits you, and then write an epic letter. So my advice is: Find a shitty job first, then look for a good one with piece of mind.

Who you know matters more than what you know in this world. Socialize and network.
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2013-11-05 at 06:51 PM.

I didn't live much at home after I turned 19. I moved out of the country to serve an LDS mission for 2 years. When I came back I stayed home for about 6 months before moving away to go to school. I got back from school, lived at home and started working, but only for 10 months - at which point I got married and moved into an apartment with my wife.

So, since the age of 19 until age 25, I lived at home for ... 16 months.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endless Journey View Post
    Hello Conspicuous Cultist,

I am a longtime lurker, but this thread of yours here finally made me register.

I have many things to say, but here's the most important, so I hope you get to read it:

You should pursue a career in writing!

Seriously, judging by your posts, you can write stuff that others would pay to have (and I'm writing from experience). I suggest you start looking into putting the skills you use to write your forum posts into use when looking for a job. You can write for magazines or maybe produce website content -and it will make you quite a bit more than those minimum wage jobs you've been browsing.

Now, to answer the topic's question. I believe that it is only sensible to move out after you've got yourself a secure source of income and a tidy sum on the side. Remember that from the moment you move out, your monthly expenses will skyrocket! (For reference, I live in Greece and I moved out at 24)
    As someone that lurked for a long time on these forums only to finally sign up and talk to people because of some dude's post, I have to say I'm pretty flattered. I used to write and draw in my early school days but that went tops-turvey when the school shoved me in special education because the topics weren't really "School friendly" right after a columbine era. Fortunately, I had an interest in roleplaying and that kept my writing/love for lore and story up to snuff while maintaining a rather expansive vocabulary... Fucking hated English classes though and still don't know what semicolons is used for. :P

That being said though, it's nice having a total stranger say that. It's been told to me before but teen angst just made me cynical against compliments.

To everyone else, it's been a little less chaffing freeloading in my father's place after this post but it's definitely not going to make me sit on my rear. Eventually, I'll get some kind of job and just let cash stockpile after personal expenses and helping out with taxes/bills. My situation is pretty ideal because I'm tied to no one, I'm just eighteen, and I haven't had any run-ins with the law.

I'm a proverbial clean slate so I'm definitely going to take advantage of this. Bide my time, so to speak, do a ton of research for potential places to move to and save up accordingly. So once again, thanks MMOchamp. I'll stop thanking you guys now just in case this thread keeps up.
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2013-11-05 at 08:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    I moved out when i was 18, just like my sisters. Also for university.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

I'm 20, I haven't moved out yet. Waiting for some buddies of mine to get back from missions so I can have some more roomies.

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Tl;dr Just like the title says. I just need some perspectives from different people to help understand this whole moving out process.

My father's alright with me staying in his place after I graduated a couple of months ago but I'm still wanting to get out. It's not a bad place to live at and it's a pretty big property with the usual pazazz like room, internets (Although it's barely faster than 1MB and it's split with five people... up to 8mbs my ass), and one meal a day with eating potato chips throughout the day that's questionably healthy but isn't my place to try and change that since it's his place. My grandparents are nearby, I have my own room and I don't have to share with my sibiling. It's nice, yeah?

But my god it's so boring.

I haven't been in contact with someone remotely close to my age in a long while with my little brother being the closest to my age but he's going through teen angst... and our interest isn't exactly the same. Waking up day in, day out sitting on this computer trying to find a job only to find out I'm not even worthy to scrub the toilets in fast food is getting really boring, there's this technical college that I want to go to be a welder a couple of miles from where I live that has room and board but isn't covered by the FAFSA alone.

However, I'm learning to drive at the moment and I'm getting my driver's license soonish but that'll bring problems. Because while I can drive and there's a car gas cost money and we're in the middle of nowhere with town being at least two miles away. A nice, luxurious walk through tall grasses, the sounds of semis, and ditches

It really bites how everything seems to be tied with money but I guess that's the world we live in and it's just a matter of being patient while I shotgun blast applications before I begin transition into the real world. It's funny though, I'm losing money trying to find a job since I have this prepaid phone and the calls are just eating away my phone time.

How'd you guys do it? Were you as clueless as I? I imagine you guys didn't have to fall back on a forum to find your gem of wisdom but I'm really just dying laying around doing nothing.
    8 megabits is 1 megabyte. Bytes are used for storage and bits are used for transfer rates at a ratio of 8 bits for 1 byte.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mega...ient=firefox-a
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Revolutions

BATTLEMASTER (After 3.3.5 nerf) REVOLUTIONS REPORTING IN.
    Wielder of The Scepter of Shifting Sands, Hand of Ragnaros, and Shadowmourne. Bringer of 66 minute kings.