Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    You realize that India's space program has commercial applications and brings in revenue right? And the Mars probe is a giant advertisement for the ISRO.

Besides that knowledge always pays for itself in the long run.
    ^^^This. Do people not realize that as long as the money is spent on domestic programs, it still goes into the domestic economy? It's not like they're just lighting it on fire or something. This will drive economic activity. Jobs. Etc.

Point and laugh all you like, but while we rest on our laurels and cut our science budget again and again, other countries are breezing right on by us and we're losing our advantages (including the economic advantages that come from having an edge in a rapidly growing field).
    Chiqaboom / Proudmoore-US

Deleted
    If poverty and misery would play a a factor in the progress that humanity makes as a whole, fact would be that we would make almost no progress as a species.

I can certainly understand why people find it strange to put space exploration above human needs, but you have to look at the bigger picture aswell.

Still it would be great if they could balance both ofcourse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/hQ5zbi0.png

That is the best thing about the European space agency. Everyone contributes as much as they can afford.
    Go Belgium!

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares
    My only concern is that thing going off course and hitting my country. I mean good for them doing something like that, but they should put more effort into bettering their own country before worrying about what's on Mars.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    The only thing that baffles me is is how short sighted people like you can be. Advancing technology and exploring space will benefit humanity way more in the long run than trying to feed masses who only breed more if you do so.
    India could learn to stop breeding since they're so damn overpopulated they have to stack on top of each other to sleep or even take a piss. It will benefit us in the future sure, but what about the present? I'd like to see them actually do things now to benefit humanity not 50 years down the road.

at least they didn't send it to... Uranus!
    but seriously any space exploration is good
    science is awesome, no matter who does it

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I hope I'm not the only one thinking what the fuck?!

What business does a country of which a quarter of the population is below the poverty line have sending a probe to Mars?

You would have thought their economic growth would see them looking for ways to advance the well-being of their citizens before the advancement of science. Mars can wait 50 years, it isn't going anywhere. And even ignoring that, other countries will still do the research in their absence, so it's not like humanity is losing out.

It truly baffles me how fucking moronic some people can be and what they make their priority.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24729073
    The same thing can be said about every other goverment in every other country in the whole world. No society is free of poverty and every goverment blows tons of money on other shit instead for things of public interest. Why are you upset about India? Sounds pretty hypocritical. A "poor" country isn't supposed to invest in science, right.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope I'm not the only one thinking what the fuck?!

What business does a country of which a quarter of the population is below the poverty line have sending a probe to Mars?]
    Opening 7/11s obviously.

Deleted
    This kind of shits good for the economy. My favorite space program is still the congo's tho.

it's more moronic how the US wastes their budget on military rather than their citizens below the poverty line. At least this probe is for the good of science.

The space misson cost the same as 3 Bollywood movies....

Is that really a problem? Looking at the numbers, India spent close to 1% that the US first spent doing around the same thing.
    Chronomancer Club

India sending a probe to mars is as smart as USA spending half their budget on military. Both could be downscaled and actually help the people of your own country.

It's not about NASA.

India has far more pressing matters that require immediate attention. Yes, there's no denying that technology developed and advanced for the space industry has a positive effect for everyone, but that isn't going to feed malnourished children tonight.

It will be decades before the people in dire straights get attention. Sending shit to Mars isn't going to help them now and it isn't going to help them soon.

Quite frankly it's a slap in the face from the government they elected to serve them.

They need to sort their own problems before they can be flippant with money, because that's what it is right now, flippancy.
    you are shortsighted and have not taken a look at the numbers.
    Most likely you are trolling, or have not taken a single look at the actual numbers.

The space mission cost less than 100 million. This is what happens when you only need to learn about the technology other countries developed. When the US did the same mission, it cost well into the tens of billions.
    That is the equivalent of someone buying an iphone in 2012, then here comes some not as well off kid buying the same phone for 1 dollar and people have a problem with that.
    THE DEVELOPMENT OF SWTOR COST LESS THAN THIS SPACE MISSION.

That spending is equivalent to 3 bollywood movies. Or 1 festival in India. That is less than what a neighborhood of politicians in India are corruptly paid.

Space missions always have a net return greater than than its costs in term of technological research trickling down in the form of new inventions and so on. This also helps to focus more on Stem research, which can help STEM people who keep immigrating out of India to stay. This will be a boon to the economy.

Of course if you have a problem, you can go do service abroad or something, instead of whining on a world of warcraft forum like a pathetic individual.

Source: (cause everyone posting here isnt providing one, every single poster from the first and second page is talking from their ass, especially OP )
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24729073

72 million.
    Last edited by cityguy193; 2013-11-05 at 01:18 PM.
    Chronomancer Club

America wastes money on things like this while our economy suffers, and people call it smart and worthwhile spending. When others do it....

Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    Make sure you express the same concern with the U.S. considering there are many people homeless and starving, living below poverty level; even moreso after the economic collapse.
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    According to wikipedia "In November 2012 the U.S. Census Bureau said more than 16% of the population lived in poverty in the United States, including almost 20% of American children"

Yes sometime you wounder.....then US spend 4.4% of its GDP on the military....
    Hrmf. People already mentioned this.

In the end it's not like they take the money from the space/militiary program and give to the poor. Would be awesome if they did though.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    America wastes money on things like this while our economy suffers, and people call it smart and worthwhile spending. When others do it....
    Its sad too. People are not actively calling out the fact that America spends literally half its revenue on war. That is not productive.
    Chronomancer Club