Upgrading HDD, need help for moving files

Hi all!
    I'm going to replace my 1.5TB HDD with a 3 or 4TB, and i'm wondering what is the quickest and easiest way to move EVERYTHING over.
    Is it possible to just copypaste C: or will i have to install OS on the new one, then move programs and files over?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

You can use 3rd party software to clone/mirror the drive onto a fresh one. Something like HDClone

Loads of info via Google, just search "how to clone drive" or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Stasis007 View Post
    You can use 3rd party software to clone/mirror the drive onto a fresh one. Something like HDClone

Loads of info via Google, just search "how to clone drive" or similar.
    Thanks, I used the wrong words for searching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Once you do clone the drive, you will often have to extend the partition that is created to use the full capacity. In this case, the 1.5TB will be cloned as a single partition to the new 3TB drive which will have another 1.5TB of unallocated space. You would then use Disk Management to extend the partition to make use of the whole drive. Cheers.

Are you using a desktop? if so, why not just use both hdds?
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    Are you using a desktop? if so, why not just use both hdds?
    He may not have any sata port left in his mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bznga View Post
    He may not have any sata port left in his mobo.
    Sure, that's a possibility, but he mentions having his OS on his 1.5TB, so I assumes he has no SSD, and even cheap motherboards tend to have at least 4, so even if he has 2 disk drives for whatever reason I would expect there to be one left
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.