Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's a gross misunderstanding of the parliamentary system that exists throughout the Commonwealth. We all have Governor Generals. This position isn't elected, it's appointed, and technically serves as the Queen's representative. They GG also has certain limited powers, including (most significantly), the authority to shut down Parliament and call an election.

The disconnect is that the Queen isn't the one who is truly choosing the GG. She's advised by the Prime Minister, and that "advice" basically entails "this is the guy we'd like". And the GG only has the power to shut down Parliament and call an election; they can't prevent the people from re-electing the same guys. In practice, the GG only resorts to that power if they feel that Parliament has lost the support of the people; it's an escape clause that lets us kick a government out mid-term if they're really arsing things up, basically.

And that's a decision the GG makes, not the Queen.

The whole thing is just a complete misunderstanding of what the Commonwealth is, governmentally speaking.
    When the Queen dissolves parliament in Britain, it is at the request of the sitting government, in order for an election to be called.

Has it happened in Canada that the Governor General has dissolved a parliament due to mismanagement, or is just a theoretical power?

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha this is has to be one of the funniest topics I've read on MMOChamp. This dude Guy Fawkes how many times does he need to get his sock puppet accounts banned before he's satisfied. He's not fooling anyone.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    I know he's banned but, does anyone know what he is talking about here (Endus perhaps)?

I'm guessing it's something in like... colonial history? Alternately, and perhaps more likely, he could just be confused - Harper has shut down the Canadian government twice now, but neither times had anything to do with the Queen. Once was when he was going to get voted out of office, so instead he shutdown Parliament for a few months so they couldn't vote. The other was when the minority parties attempted to get a formal independent investigation for election fraud by Harper (which a court ruled the other day did occur, but neglected to do anything more than speculate on Harper's involvement - even though they hinted it couldn't have happened without his oversight).

Shutdown for the Queen disagreeing with someone though? That's news to me.
    Yikes, I'm all for explaining to people how the system works, but what a load of malarkey. Can do without the Christy Clark slant next time imo.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Fawkes View Post
    AND I GET THE FUCKING INFRACTION?

How many more times does this fucking asshole call me retarded before I can defend myself without being infracted?
    I think there's quite a bit of difference in both venom and tolerance level between somebody calling you a "retard" and you saying ""F*ck you, and F*ck the Queen".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slenderman View Post
    Should watch Mitchell & Webb's Peep Show or Paul (by Pegg/Frost) reckon you'd be into it.
    /waves hand

Pegg/Frost movies are a STAPLE for me at this point! Went opening night to see "The World's End" ^_^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I think there's quite a bit of difference in both venom and tolerance level between somebody calling you a "retard" and you saying ""F*ck you, and F*ck the Queen".

- - - Updated - - -

You indeed have good taste my friend.

/waves hand

Pegg/Frost movies are a STAPLE for me at this point! Went opening night to see "The World's End" ^_^
    You have decent taste my friend.

Deleted
    i remember

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arushido View Post
    i remember
    I should hope so too, it was less than a week ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    When the Queen dissolves parliament in Britain, it is at the request of the sitting government, in order for an election to be called.

Has it happened in Canada that the Governor General has dissolved a parliament due to mismanagement, or is just a theoretical power?
    The GG of Australia first removed the PM, and then dissolved the Australian parliament and called for new elections when they shut the government down due to not passing a budget back in the '70s).

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The GG of Australia first removed the PM, and then dissolved the Australian parliament and called for new elections when they shut the government down due to not passing a budget back in the '70s).
    That's just the job of the GG in the case of a nonconfidence. When the incumbent majority loses confidence in parliament, the GG dissolves it and calls an election. It happened in Canada last time around and was hilarious to see the libs lose after they forced the issue so soon after an election.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Yikes, I'm all for explaining to people how the system works, but what a load of malarkey. Can do without the Christy Clark slant next time imo.
    In my defense, while I'm not a government employee - I've often worked in connection with the BC Liberal Party - so I don't think it's so much malarkey as it is that my worldview is shaped by my peer group (as is everyones)
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

all I'll say is she didn't even win her riding someone had to quit so she could take over their job and stay as premier.

blah I say, blah!
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-11-11 at 06:03 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    all I'll say is she didn't even win her riding someone had to quit so she could take over their job and stay as premier.

blah I say, blah!
    I'm not a fan of Christy Clark either - but electing her isn't really about her, it's about her advisory council (there are amazing people behind her). With that said, I'm dismayed to see her broker a pipeline deal after saying she wouldn't before - voters like predictable behaviour - not sudden changes of heart once in office. Bad for the liberal party next time around, since it's so dependent on a swing votership anyways.

Not to get this too far off track, her main issue has been and will remain to be royalties...the cheddar.

The other pipeline issues will get me in hot water here and certainly not relevant to this. Cuz I'm a dirty world polluting Albertan!
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-11-11 at 06:23 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not to get this too far off track, her main issue has been and will remain to be royalties...the cheddar.

The other pipeline issues will get me in hot water here and certainly not relevant to this. Cuz I'm a dirty world polluting Albertan!
    Nah, I'm not an off-topic moderator of course so you can't get in trouble with me - and my parents are conservative Albertans so I get that talk all the time I'm all for natural gas by the way (it's already there and we can always build more), but there isn't sufficient safety precautions to prevent an accident with the proposed Northern Gateway - and the risks include, a) fish all along the coast - one of BCs biggest industries, b) forestry - another top industry, c) tourism - another top industry, and d) the Great Bear Rainforest - a unique ecosystem and world treasure. BC assumes the full burden of all those risks, and the proposed construction would offer BC something like 5000 temporary construction jobs for 3 years, and like 100 permanent positions - it's not in BC's interest.

This is probably one of the most hilarious threads in this forum.

Jesus Christ, how I despise those "i'm so edgy i'm practically round" kiddos using guy fawkes mask.