Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Your Favorite Type of Games

There are a bit too many types of games to list onto a poll, so I want you guys to answer what's your favorite genre of games?

Mine is, Fighting Games.

I absolutely love fighting games, it's so entertaining and addicting, I don't know why, but it's just fun to punch people in the face...don't blame me.
    And my collection of fighting games is:
    Street Fighter 2,3 and 4.
    Street fighter x Tekken
    Tekken 3,5,6 and Tag Tournament 2.
    BlazBlue:Chrono Phantasma, BlazBlue:Calamity Trigger, BlazBlue:Continuum Shift Extend
    Guilty gear xx accent core+ (Ty to Fadc for reminding me! :P)
    Persona 4 Arena
    Skullgirls
    Virtua Fighter 5
    King of Fighters 13
    Marvel vs Capcom 1,2, and 3.
    Divekick!
    Mortal Kombat vs DC.
    Mortal Kombat 2,3, Armageddon, and 9.
    Injustice.
    SoulCalibur 4 and 5.
    Super Smash Bro's Melee and Brawl.

Let's hear the answers from you guys :P!
    Last edited by The Jester; 2013-11-06 at 12:56 PM.
    New season. Fun times.

" Who would of thought a small kid from Aberdeen, Washington, who was always labelled a B+ player, who would of thought that guy could of main evented Wrestlemania? Nobody. Nobody except ...you guys."

FPS for multiplayer, RPG for single player. Nothing else comes close for me, generally speaking.

As far as specific favorites, for FPS, I loved Goldeneye and Perfect Dark back in the day, and Halo has been my go to multiplayer game since the original came out. I absolutely love that series. I went through spells of playing arcade style games like Unreal Tournament as well. Semi realistic FPS, such as Counterstrike, Call of Duty and Battlefield, have never appealed to me all that much in comparison to arena shooters, but I still enjoy them more than most genres.

On the RPG side of things, the Final Fantasy games are obvious favorites, along with the Legend of Dragoon, and the Knights of the Old Republic games. I would actually prefer the gameplay of a standard action adventure game over the traditional RPG system of fighting and upgrades, but RPGs tend to have such epic stories that I have to side with them. I am not a fan of MMOs, however, as they usually detract from the feeling of being an epic hero in an epic story, instead making you a grunt among many grunts doing the dirty work of the actual important characters.

I keep waiting for a truly epic FPS RPG with an amazing story, open world, and solid multiplayer to come out and complete my life, but so far no go. Maybe Destiny will fulfill my wishes--complete my destiny, you might say.
    Last edited by Itisamuh; 2013-11-05 at 12:45 PM.

Deleted
    RPGs and strategy games (usually turn based, like Heroes or Civ, and RTS, like War-/Starcraft). And obviously combinations of those (Heroes, Spellforce, ...).

Round based strategy games! Nothing better developed yet. Problem is that i am in a minority thats why you hardly get any AAA titles in that field.

Good games of that genre in my eyes:
    Battle Isle
    HoMM

RTS (Age of empires, Starcraft and such)

RPG (Elder scrolls, Dragon age, Deus ex, The Witcher)

Shooters (Borderlands, Battlefield, Crysis)

MMOs (WoW, Rift, Tera, GW2, and soon ESO/Wildstar)

10+ Year Old Account
    For Multiplayer - RTS (Age of Empires 2, Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 specifically).

For Single-player - no matter the genre, any game featuring a great story and characters. My favorites here are all Bioware games (except for SWTOR), Kingdoms of Amalur, Evil Islands (old but still great game), Jedi Knight series (yes, not much of characters, but the stories in JK2: Outcast and JK: Jedi Academy I quite liked), Warcraft 2/3 and Starcraft 1/2 campaigns (surprisingly good plots, for RTS games), Age of Empires 1/2 campaigns (love history).

Open world sidescrollers, like the Metroid games, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, etc.

Deleted
    Very immersive open world RPGs or MMOs. (Skyrim)

RPGs with good story and interesting universe (Mass Effect trilogy, Dragon Age)

Turn based strategy games - fantasy or sci fi and with reasonably good graphical side (XCOM, MM:Heroes)
    I like Civ 5 too but the AI is terrible and the only way to make it challenging is raising the difficulty which just means that the computer cheats.

City building strategy games and god games (Black and White 2, AD 2070, Tropico 4, Sims)

10+ Year Old Account
    Fighting games too. I grew up playing Fatal Fury and Samurai Showdown.
    I'm currently playing King of Fighter XIII, but there's not a big scene where I live.

Party-based RPGs (not D&D-based). It is like their age on PC ended with Might and Magic, though Divinity: Original Sin might prove otherwise. Most of such games are currently on consoles. Most PC RPGs nowadays are either with one character under control or D&D-based.

10+ Year Old Account
    "(3rd person) action adventure rpgs"

-must have a good, satisfying, long and deep storyline.
    -bonus for grotesque, weird, bizarre and dark atmosphere/characters/story/world etc.
    -NO open worlds in single player. open world is the cancer of storytelling. give me linear levels in single player.
    -NO parties and teammates. mass effect teammates work to as they don't do anything really.
    -NO jrpg and anime art styles. i cannot stand them in any way. no chance.

so it comes down to games like dark messiah, legacy of kain, legend of grimrock, planescape torment (for the story and atmosphere), vampire bloodlines (pretty much everything), mass effect, alice, space marine (i want more of those but it could have been so much better ...), mirrors edge, max payne (1>2>3), diablo perhaps, mindless but fun fps (serious sam, painkiller), darksiders (if it hadn't an open world ...), batman arkham all (open world crap ...) and others like those.

also some adventures, strategy (turn based and rts) and indi games.

but i absolutely cannot stand "realistic" games. battlefield, cod, most (f1, rally, nfs ...) racing games (nitronic rush, flatout, trackmania are good ones imo) and especially the gta ones. completely uninteresting.
    Last edited by Sharde; 2013-11-05 at 03:17 PM.

3D platformers. I grew up on Banjo Kazooie, Super Mario 64, and Donkey Kong 64, so 3D platformers are kind of my thing. I'd say that 2D platformers are a close second. It's a shame there aren't very many 3D platform games being put out today, but there are plenty of 2D ones, at least.

Deleted
    Metroidvanias

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynnyelle View Post
    3D platformers. I grew up on Banjo Kazooie, Super Mario 64, and Donkey Kong 64, so 3D platformers are kind of my thing. I'd say that 2D platformers are a close second. It's a shame there aren't very many 3D platform games being put out today, but there are plenty of 2D ones, at least.
    I was going to write this too but god dammit Wynnyelle beat me to it. The thing is, outside of a few games like Ratchet and Clank, you don't find as many decent 3D platformers like you used too... Those older platformers still hold up today quite well and I can play them all day long, I'm looking at you Spyro, Banjo Fucking Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, and even you Super Mario World. All the joy of the good ol' days, alas I shed two tears and only two tears as to remember them.

I like RPG too in certain cases but to outside of games like LoL which I play on a regular basis, only 3D and 2D platformers get my attention.
    Last edited by Duronos; 2013-11-05 at 03:47 PM.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    I like RPG games the most. Mostly cause I like roleplaying in games >_>

I don't think I have a favorite genre of video game. To some degree, I sort of don't like video games. Except topically.

It would be easier to list that which I don't find intriguing/interesting in the medium than what I do. For example, I find games and genres with an emphasis on piloting automobiles or other vehicles uninteresting. Genres which deal in the simulation of real world sports, particularly popular professional American sports, to have no gameplay value in the medium. Even insulting to a degree.

However, that isn't always black & white, so to speak. Meaning I can & have found great interest in games such as Gran Turismo 1, NBA Jam or the X series of psudeo space sim.

All that being said, there is a potent combination of endorphin releasing game design for me. Games which feature in part or whole; complex mathematics or statistical analysis, emphasize strategy or tactical thinking, literate or historical allegory, byzantine rules or contextual special rules.

Those type of games are fascinating to me.

Adventure games (Pretty much all LoZ titles)

RPGs (Chrono Trigger, Pokemon, Radiant Historia, Xenoblade, Rune Factory)

Simulators (Harvest Moon, Sims, Rune Factory)
    Last edited by Digglett; 2013-11-05 at 05:47 PM.

Open world Action-Adventure 3rd person preferably with platforming elements.

Games like Dark Souls, Risen, Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, Mystical Ninja, Oddworld Stranger's Wrath etc.

Some level progression games like Metal Arms: Glitch in the System and Kid Icarus Uprising I enjoy a lot.

And RTS such as Starcraft, Warcraft, and Company of Heroes.

Fighters first and foremost along with any 2D game with high/interesting execution requirements like SoTN, Muramasa the demon blade (Wii), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Fighting games too. I grew up playing Fatal Fury and Samurai Showdown.
    I'm currently playing King of Fighter XIII, but there's not a big scene where I live.
    Steam or console? I just got into KoF13 via steam and I hear it's pretty solid online as compared to the OG console release.

Nice Library Hazama, but WHERE THE FUCK IS GUILTY GEAR?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

All that being said, there is a potent combination of endorphin releasing game design for me. Games which feature in part or whole; complex mathematics or statistical analysis, emphasize strategy or tactical thinking, literate or historical allegory, byzantine rules or contextual special rules.

Those type of games are fascinating to me.
    Nerd.
    Last edited by HoopyFrood; 2013-11-05 at 06:27 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    RPGs, especially sand box ones. Just give me a world and let me explore every little nook and cranny in it, without feeling forced to continue on with the main story to unlock new areas.