Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I still do walking and jogging daily, while ot isn't rigorous, so long as the heart rate is working, you burn more calories.

- - - Updated - - -

I do light exercise which includes walking and jogging. My body is not at a point where it can handle any form of heavy exercise. You also have to remember that for me, my body has a lot of fat stored in it. 15 pounds of fat can be shed if you eat right and my diet consists of fiber which helps your body digest food properly. Regardless, the difference is there for me on the scale and in the clothes I wear.
    Great going OP!!! I think that that's off to a terrific start...I used to have a friend who's similar to your case, and after half a year's worth of intensive workouts in the gym, he is super fit right now...so I think it's just a case of (know it's clichéd, but) perserverance...if you keep up that exercise volume (you don't necessarily need to increase it - you're right, if you do too much, you can strain yourself), but maybe consider increasing the frequency to about 5 sessions a week (45 minutes / session - obviously you can start out simpler, but that's where you want to aim at), not sure if you're used to light jogging for a longer period of time? Within half a year, you should see some major improvements.

And at the end of the day, you're in total control over your fitness regime, so you don't have anything to worry about. Don't like jogging? Change sports! Feeling bored? Exercise with a friend! Loads of options to mish mash and consider

Good luck and congrats on your success....glad you found a method working for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    How do you know the proper zone?
    The easiest way is to wear a HR monitor and...

For me my average HR while cycling is about 148bpm, or ~75% of max.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The easiest way is to wear a HR monitor and...
    Worth noting that the numbers on the left are very rough estimates, each individual needs to figure out their own max HR. I'm 28 and can push past 200 during really, really hard hill work in the heat. I know other people my age that max out at 175 though.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
    Great going OP!!! I think that that's off to a terrific start...I used to have a friend who's similar to your case, and after half a year's worth of intensive workouts in the gym, he is super fit right now...so I think it's just a case of (know it's clichéd, but) perserverance...if you keep up that exercise volume (you don't necessarily need to increase it - you're right, if you do too much, you can strain yourself), but maybe consider increasing the frequency to about 5 sessions a week (45 minutes / session - obviously you can start out simpler, but that's where you want to aim at), not sure if you're used to light jogging for a longer period of time? Within half a year, you should see some major improvements.

And at the end of the day, you're in total control over your fitness regime, so you don't have anything to worry about. Don't like jogging? Change sports! Feeling bored? Exercise with a friend! Loads of options to mish mash and consider

Good luck and congrats on your success....glad you found a method working for ya!
    Thanks. I generally like to cycle but with winter almost upon us here in Canada, the bike had to go away for the season. I do have a stationary bike, but honestly it's hard to want to stay on that thing for more then half an hour. Plus I do a lot of physical work on the job, I see no need to do any lifting at home because I lift heavy pieces of metal around all day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dieting to lose weight is fine but you'll still feel sluggish with the weight off. Incorporating some running or any type of cardio a few time a week will have you feeling way better. If your goal is to just lose weight, well that's fine and dandy but you're probably not going to be changing how you feel throughout the day.

I have been trying to build mass and am doing decent and it's nice having a better looking body. The part that's better though is knowing I went from running a mile making me feel like death to being able to run a mile and feel amazing. The feeling of being able to go and do shit is much more important to me than just looking good.

Congratulations op, sounds like it's working out great! I'm actually in the process of gaining weight due to being at the minimum weight limit for my height to join the Marines. I'm doing a lot of exercise and eating quite a bit of meat (not sure how good or bad that is for my diet, but its good) and ever since I started this (back in August) I have gained 20 lbs (not much I think) but all muscle, which is amazing for me due to how weak I actually was before.

All in all, keep it up, all goals can be achieved.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-n-Ike234 View Post
    Congratulations op, sounds like it's working out great! I'm actually in the process of gaining weight due to being at the minimum weight limit for my height to join the Marines. I'm doing a lot of exercise and eating quite a bit of meat (not sure how good or bad that is for my diet, but its good) and ever since I started this (back in August) I have gained 20 lbs (not much I think) but all muscle, which is amazing for me due to how weak I actually was before.

All in all, keep it up, all goals can be achieved.
    I'd suggest that you be careful how much red meat you eat. It's OK to have protein, but meat is fatty and will put excess weight on that you don't want. If you do a lot of lifting then you should be consuming protein and whey for natural weight gain that will convert into muscle. Red meat isn't really that bad so long as it's not processed in any way. The whole purpose of my diet is to cut out the types of foods that can store fat in your body due to difficult digestion and having a slow metabolism, and the diet speeds it up due to proper nutrition and having your daily servings of fruits and vegetables as well. Eventually, I will be able to eat red meat more frequently, I have had a couple of fish stir fry dishes rather then a smoothie for dinner because it still has a sufficient source of nutrients for a meal. Of course, you have to be careful what you add to it to give it some flavor as you will instantly increase the sodium levels with things like soy sauce.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2013-11-12 at 04:37 PM.