Poll: How much does the lore matter to you?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehgypsy View Post
    500+ days playtime, 0 interest in lore. Play to have fun with mates and kill stuff. I dont care who did what to who and when and how bad this was and that was because someone did a fart in their hand and made someone smell it and they feinted and they started a war because of the fart and 1000s died in the process.. (no punctuation on purpose).

0 interest. I play to have fun, the npcs and their history mean nothing to me.
    You sound like my kinda gamer mate

4. Lore means a lot to me, but not to the point that I obsess about it or let it influence my gameplay decisions too much. For instance, with a Troll as my new Warchief, I lost a lot of my Horde pride. But, I decided not to let that gull me into faction changing, because that would cost me money and not help the actual gameplay. I love the lore when it is good, but I can ignore it when it sucks.

no option for 0? because that's how little i care about the "lore" in this game

i haven't even read quest text since early Vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Does the lore really matter to you, and how much?

Would lore influence what race you play?
    What sub-race you would pick (if they become available)
    what Class you choose
    What faction you pick
    What Areas you quest in
    Whether you keep playing wow

EDIT add;
    Would it tempt you enough to role play (if you didn't already)?
    poll is from 1 to 5, 1 being lore means almost nothing to you, and 5 is lore is a very strong point to you.
    yes i play mainly orcs because their lore is the most interesting to me
    probably ill differentiate my characters sub races based on their class, mag'ar for warrior, dragonmaw for hunter etc
    hunter first then warrior and warlock
    horde
    lore is one of the primary reason i keep playing this game, so if the lore start to be really subpar and a game with a good lore come out i may think to leave. For now the only game with a good lore on the market is lotro we will see if someone can create something comparable.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

EDIT 1: I like that guy. ^
    EDIT 2: All the following being said, if the gameplay sucked, it wouldn't matter how good the lore was, luckily the game plays good aswell as awesome lore!

To make it short, it is because of the lore I play, and started to play WoW.
    WC3 rocked my gaming world.

Yes. Race/class combo has a big say in my choosing.
    As my characters now are (not all are top level or even started leveling):
    • Warrior - Orc male.
    • Shaman - Orc male.
    • Hunter - Orc male.
    • Warlock - Orc male. (A class I love due to gameplay, but hate due to lore... >.> )
    • Death Knight - Orc male (fallen great warrior).
    • Mage - Draenei male.
    • Paladin - Draenei male.
    • Priest - Draenei male.
    • Druid - Night Elf male.
    • Rogue - Night Elf female. (Sentinel-ish character).
    • Monk - Pandaren male.
    Love the orcs due to their primal heritage, had to throw in the orc warlock because of the horrible stuff that happened in the past, my character tho is a "good" warlock, using his powers to fight the Legion.
    My draenei are chosen due to their affinity towards magic and the holy light.
    The druid is of course a homage to Malfurion and the rogue is what I think fits best for the night elf due to their natural ability to sneak around in the forests.
    And monk, come on, are there any others than pandaren there?

Mag'har perhaps, but I also like the thought of the green orcs because I know what history they've had, and the brown ones have in all seriousness just been harassed by the broken in Outland for the last time.

what Class you choose
    Yes, read first point.

What faction you pick
    To some degree, I love the Horde because of the history from WC3, but I dont like all the race/class combos for the horde tbh.

What Areas you quest in
    Somewhat, not that there are too many at the time, but if there are old-orcish-lore quests I prefer them, or orcish quest in general, an interesting people.

Yes, when I cancel I quickly resub when I hear about new lore coming up, I'm weak...

No and no.
    The only roleplay I do is in my head (lunatic much?), I like to read the novels and have short stories about my characters in my head (yeah lunatic...).

Anyways,
    TL;DR: Lore is awesome and has EVERYTHING to say when I play.
    Last edited by Loreish; 2013-11-06 at 03:12 PM.

I love this poll. I'm happy to see so many people care about the lore, the same way I do. Though I may not agree with all the people these days going "Boo, Blizzard is messing up the lore", it's great to have a counter-point to the wave of people going "No one cares about lore anyway! Let Blizzard focus on other things. It wouldn't matter if Blizzard removed it altogether".

It does matter to a lot of people. It would be like me saying "Blizzard should remove PvP. It would let them make the game more enjoyable by focusing their time on things people care about". It would be right for me if Blizzard did that. I do not PvP, and so if Blizzard stopped having to balance it, they'd have more time for things I do enjoy. But I'd have to ignore the existence of all the people that do enjoy PvP, if I'm to make that statement.

There are many factors that enrich the game. And it can't be denied that for me and many others, the Lore is a very important one.

10+ Year Old Account

what Class you choose
    What faction you pick
    What Areas you quest in
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Couldn't care less - I would also take the "0" Option. The theme and the main Antagonist of an expansion is kinda important to me - that's what I like WotlK for (even tough it was only my second fav expansion). Those two together packed into a good trailer is what gets me into buying/playing an expansion. I wouldnt ever read a book about Arthas though...once the theme is ok I just play the game for fun

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Current lore? Nah

Old lore? Hell yeah
    This. MoP really killed my interest in lore. Maybe I will be more interested *IF* garrosh no longer exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

It's more important than game play for me, which is why I was so disappointed in the Timeless Isle. That place was about epics, mounts, and pets, aside from some minor interaction with the Timewalkers and the Bronze Dragonflight that place had nothing to do with existing WoW lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no option for 0?

When I played I couldn't care any less about the lore of the game or why we were fighting big bad guy, I just knew he had to die for progression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    The problem comes when bad players expect to clear hardmode content as quickly as average or upper echelon players.
    Accept your limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.

When I was younger and I first bought TBC I didn't really think so much about the lore, I just wanted to enjoy killing epic monsters and I wanted to ride a dragon. Now that I don't raid and the game is not fresh anymore, killing or riding on dragons is no longer something that excites me, it is mainly the lore that keeps me playing, the story and the progression and the world that revolves around it is the main reason I still play WoW.

With that said for both MOP and CATA I started playing at the beginning of the expansion only to stop and return at the final patch, I'm not really sure what that sais about me, or about the game.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    This. MoP really killed my interest in lore. Maybe I will be more interested *IF* garrosh no longer exists.
    This makes me a sad panda... :<
    Puns aside, I find it weird that people hated it so much, I find the story behind the mogu, pandaren, trolls, saurok, sha, mantid etc... to be very interesting!
    Dont understand why people hate it, is it just a hate train everyone jumps on without commiting to research? I would like to know.

4 to me. It's very important to me, but many of the things I just flow with if the gameplay is good. Only if the lore really went down the drain would I take a hiatus, which did happen with Dragon Soul.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2013-11-06 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    4 to me. It's very important to me, but many of the things I just flow with if the gameplay is good. Only if the lore really went down the drain would I take a hiatus, which did happen with Dragon Soul.
    how do u mean

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tehgypsy View Post
    500+ days playtime, 0 interest in lore. Play to have fun with mates and kill stuff. I dont care who did what to who and when and how bad this was and that was because someone did a fart in their hand and made someone smell it and they feinted and they started a war because of the fart and 1000s died in the process.. (no punctuation on purpose).

0 interest. I play to have fun, the npcs and their history mean nothing to me.
    aren't there better games just on a pure fun basis than wow? for me, the lore has always palyed a large role in the attraction of this game? My ideal is playing a story, that's why I'm chekcing out SwTOR atm, love the story driven game, wish wow told a story like that. Use to love the way the story came out in the RTS

lore is a 0 for me

all i care about is great gameplay

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    dont care about lore.... not wasting my time reading endless quest lines when i play, I usually skip thought the quest text and mostly ignore it, if im stuck on a quest and dont have a clue where to go next i'll just google it

what Class you choose
    What faction you pick
    What Areas you quest in

EDIT add;
    poll is from 1 to 5,

1 = Lore? whatever. lore means nothing to you
    2 = I enjoy lore, but it's more icing, I would eat the cake without it
    3= love the lore, it influences a fair number of things. Playable without, but a lot less enjoyable
    4= lore is important, I enjoy it, influences most things, would not be that interested without it
    5 = lore is very important, feel very strongly about it and it certainly matters. It's a main if not THE main attraction of warcarft.
    Zero. As Blizzard will change it to suit whatever new concept they want it to cover.

Holy Cow
    Kung Fu Panda

whatever is next.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Zero. As Blizzard will change it to suit whatever new concept they want it to cover.

Holy Cow
    Kung Fu Panda

whatever is next.
    you'll find out in 2 days.