The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

im thinking about leveling a warrior

I dont know much about warriors, it's one of the two classes I've never played. But I was wondering, how are they at leveling? Lots of down time? Do they kill stuff quick? Which spec is the best to level with? Once I hit max level, I plan on taking since that's the only aspect of the game I've never done, how's the state of warrior tanking atm? I appreciate all feedback amd any tips. Thanks all!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, what are the best races for alliance and horde to tank and dps? Professions as well please.

I just leveled a warr. Was much diff than what I expected. most of the time I was around 40% health most of time cuz if I ate there went all my rage and I was just a target. I wanted to be the cool toon dual wielding 2 handers and wrecking things until I found that dps was lacking and I had to switch to arms (lack of crit) They are VERY gear dependent. Didnt tank much am more of a dps kind of guy

Wonderful Sig made by Torgerd

I always find these questions very subjective, as a lot depends on you, your situation, abilities, the amount of time you can spend learning your spec and so on.

If you have full heirloom gear, which is a doddle to get these days, then just about any class will be a breeze to level - certainly up to level 85. Even if you don't levelling is a very different proposition than it was in the old days - not hard, in other words. You would however be better placed going Arms, as your downtime will be reduced and Fury is gear dependent, as the poster above says. Until you get to around full blues - something like 467 as I recall - your lack of crit will mean you won't have enough RB's etc to make Fury as it should be, and Arms beats out Fury until quite a bit higher still. At the higher levels, Arms is better AOE (but Fury still not THAT far off) and Fury ST. Most fights in SoO favour Fury, with any kind of gear.

Personally, I really like Warrior tanks. My understanding from some poll on one of the other forums is that Pally tanks are the most popular, then DK's and Monks (fotm), then Warrs (although not hugely behind), followed by Bears, but that's just a poll. In my observation some of the best tanks I've run with this expansion have been Warriors, and they can do a LOT of damage just on their own. If part of your levelling is going to include dungeons, you'll be absolutely fine. Admittedly part of my preference for Warrior tanks is that I nearly always have a better 'rapport' with them - an understanding of what they might do in a given situation - but even allowing for that, IMO they can do anything a tank is called upon to do, and they do it well.

Oh as for racial: Orc for Horde, although Pandaren food buff is pretty decent. Worgen for Alliance.
    Last edited by Rabbia73; 2013-10-31 at 05:26 AM. Reason: the race question

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbia73 View Post
    I always find these questions very subjective, as a lot depends on you, your situation, abilities, the amount of time you can spend learning your spec and so on.

If you have full heirloom gear, which is a doddle to get these days, then just about any class will be a breeze to level - certainly up to level 85. Even if you don't levelling is a very different proposition than it was in the old days - not hard, in other words. You would however be better placed going Arms, as your downtime will be reduced and Fury is gear dependent, as the poster above says. Until you get to around full blues - something like 467 as I recall - your lack of crit will mean you won't have enough RB's etc to make Fury as it should be, and Arms beats out Fury until quite a bit higher still. At the higher levels, Arms is better AOE (but Fury still not THAT far off) and Fury ST. Most fights in SoO favour Fury, with any kind of gear.

Personally, I really like Warrior tanks. My understanding from some poll on one of the other forums is that Pally tanks are the most popular, then DK's and Monks (fotm), then Warrs (although not hugely behind), followed by Bears, but that's just a poll. In my observation some of the best tanks I've run with this expansion have been Warriors, and they can do a LOT of damage just on their own. If part of your levelling is going to include dungeons, you'll be absolutely fine. Admittedly part of my preference for Warrior tanks is that I nearly always have a better 'rapport' with them - an understanding of what they might do in a given situation - but even allowing for that, IMO they can do anything a tank is called upon to do, and they do it well.

Oh as for racial: Orc for Horde, although Pandaren food buff is pretty decent. Worgen for Alliance.
    So aside from tanking being good for fast dungeon ques, then downtime while leveling as prot is worse than arms?

Warriors are pretty fun to level honestly, they're insanely good at AoE grinding oddly enough. I level as Arms, doubt Fury is that great because of how much crit you need, if you don't crit as Fury you spend a lot of time sitting around waiting for something interesting to happen. As Arms you can pull a lot of mobs, sit in Defensive Stance, and just Thunder Clap them all to death with Sweeping Strikes up, every time one does just Victory Rush and continue. You'll probably sit around 30-40% health a lot, but Second Wind will keep you up through it no problem. I usually pulled about 4-5 mobs at a time on my Warrior while leveling, was probably the most efficient class I've leveled so far. There's virtually no down time because of Victory Rush.

Well it's certainly been done (levelling as Prot, outside dungs - more a mix of both).

But it's slower, for the obvious reason that you just aren't going to kill things quite as quickly, most of the time. You shouldn't die v often as Arms, if at all, so...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    What profession would benefit dps and tank at max level? And is warrior tanking very viable right now? Because I keep reading how its not and that its rare to see a warrior tank lol

As I've tried to indicate, I don't accept a notion like that at all. I haven't tanked at all seriously this expansion myself, but from what I've seen Warrior tanks are absolutely fine and I've seen quite a few around.

Professions: Blacksmithing and Engineering. This sort of stuff is in the guides stickied above, btw. Worth reading, each of them.

Deleted
    As of patch 5.4, Warrior tanks have been VERY viable and I most certainly enjoy playing it. For leveling I'd say go Arms with full heirlooms and live through Charge > Victory Rush > Mortal Strike > Repeat. Profession wise I'd say that any profession is viable, but as Rabbia said, BS and Engi are in a good spot right now.

Happy charging :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Go Arms, even without herlooms you'll destroy everything and never go low on health thanks to victory rush. Fury is worst spec for leveling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nsgid View Post
    What profession would benefit dps and tank at max level? And is warrior tanking very viable right now? Because I keep reading how its not and that its rare to see a warrior tank lol
    Dno how rare they are, i see quite a few warriors, one in my own guild maintanking atm

I'm not sure if the people commenting here have actually leveled a warrior since 1998, but if you have heirlooms, Shield Slam oneshots every quest mob on your way to level 60. And from there it just gets easier.

Deleted
    Yep just levelled a warrior to 90, only time i actually had to switch to arms was from 85 on. That's where Prot becomes slow. Before that, you will decimate everything in your path without any downtime whatsoever. And at 85+ Arms will decimate anything for you instead

Fantastic mobility for tanking, can aoe grind and solo well as prot. I love my warrior.

Deleted
    Warrior is my favourite class. Nothing compares to playing one, just doesn't feel right, not being my beloved Warrior

As for leveling, I dungeon spammed as Prot! Did a bit of leveling outside of that. As Prot you get fast dungeon queues, top the damage meters and are pretty much invincible with a set of plate heirlooms, sword + shield. Was really fast.

As for viability at level 90: Since 5.4 changes, Prot Warriors are at their best they've been this expansion. They are a core and stable tank, who offer a tonne of mobility/utility, awesome self healing now (I do 40% of all healing done to me with barrier + T16 2set + Enraged Regen) and a crap tonne of damage!

I levelled two warriors this year, I was going to join a guild with one, and raid with it.

The first took forreeeever. The second I hit 90 in the week. Both of them I played as fury. I usually pulled first or second for DPS in random dungeons. No BoA gear. If you can figure out how to work a rotation at early levels, its not too bad. But, once you get colossus smash in cata area, it really gets easy.

Its going to take awhile though if you're not used to it, but it is fun however.

I leveled mine initially as prot, then switched to arms.

The class struck me as very odd and clunky at first, I really didn't like it at low levels. At some point (40's?) it just clicked for me, and it's actually been my favorite class ever since.

/even though I still think I'm pretty shitty at playing one, they're a very 'busy' and very fun class.

lvl 10-70 the only way to go is prot. It is just way better. Shieldslam/revenge is rediculous. Try some low lvl bgs if you like oneshotting people... .
    I am always shocked when i see a "dps" warrior who is not prot while leveling.