Page 1 of 25
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Blizzcon: Warlock chat (NEW TALENTS IN FIRST POST!)

So it's almost time for Blizzcon and an end to Mists of Pandaria and an introduction of what's next for our beloved Warlock class.

Mists saw us being transformed (for better and for worse) and gave us a large amount of dev attention, both mechanically and aesthetically as well as in Lore. It's not a stretch to think we won't be getting such an overhaul again in the next expansion, but there will undoubtedly be changes (there always are).

So, let's talk about those changes to Warlocks in this topic, both right now in speculation, and during the event as information goes out. I'll try to keep this first post updated with anything that comes out during Blizzcon, so keep an eye on the topic!

To start the topic off, what would you like to see happen with Warlocks in the next expansion or what do you think Blizzard will do with our class (even if it is not something you would like to see)?

BLIZZCON EDIT: There's not been any specific information just yet, but we ARE getting new level 100 talents, so keep an eye out for them to turn up in media at some point!

For those playing dot specs:

Dot snapshotting translated into mods telling you when to press the buttons.
    Said by GC on twitter.

Source: https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...28461132152832

TALENTS: BIG shout out to Mazda (who took the pictures) and Jetjaguar (who re-uploaded them in a usuable format)

Last edited by xskarma; 2013-11-09 at 11:44 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral DrIvoRobotnik's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    fourthspecdemonhunterfourthspecdemonhunterfourthspecdemonhunter *crosses fingers*

Please god for so many reasons demon hunter spec:

1) To silence the people crying for a demon hunter class. It's just never going to be a class on it's own.

2) To give a tanking spec capability to locks(or even just a melee spec).

3) Everyone deserves 4 specs if druids get it?

my sincere wish for the next expansion: a true tanking spec.

what I think we'll get next expansion: a half assed glyph that gives you a "healing stance" with demon hooves.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't expecting a call for Demon Hunter spec. for Warlocks to be honest

Wouldn't you rather just have a Demon Hunter class instead?

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I wasn't expecting a call for Demon Hunter spec. for Warlocks to be honest

Wouldn't you rather just have a Demon Hunter class instead?
    not really, I'd prefer to get an unique new class. demon hunters just can't be unique with the niches they fit in. whatever they could be is already filled by warlocks, rogues, or even hunters if you start stretching into diablo territory.

I think for the most part we're in a good place. I'd like Destro to feel a bit more involved. Maybe a medium-length cd (30 seconds to a minute) for another button to push every now and then.

Would like scaling issues to be somehow addressed so that they don't need to re-balance every single damn tier. And I don't mean little tweaks, but the major rollercoaster we've seen this entire xpac (how many times did Sac get nerfed ? for just one example)

If nothing else I'd like to just not have that damn rollercoaster ride again all next xpac.

I know it won't happen anytime soon since we already got so much love recently, but I'd also eventually really like our pets to be like Hunter pets (a few families, and basically multiple skins for those archetypes).

Oh, and something to make Mastery useful for non-Demonology pets, even if it's just a little bit.

And of course flying demonic chariot drawn by six Dreadsteeds
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post

1) To silence the people crying for a demon hunter class. It's just never going to be a class on it's own.

Or change Demonology to "Demon Hunting"

What I want to see personally, is a glyph to allow the old models of pets when using Grimoire of Supremacy.

My point is subtle, but very important in my opinion.

The biggest benefit to the game, and the Warlock class, would be to somehow give all other dps classes the ability to store resources long term. People don't realize that after the revamp, Warlocks are THE ONLY CLASS IN THE GAME, that can store their resource for an extended period of time and use it when it is best. Demonic Fury, Burning Embers, and Soul Shards all generate slowly, can be used on demand, and are stored at a relatively high quantity. No other class is capable of holding onto their resource and burn it EXACTLY when they want to.

Now, this is excellent design IMO. I love that it gives the player more control. I don't want the class/specs to lose this mechanic. I want it to be given to other classes as well. Warlocks are getting a lot of heat for being So. Freaking. Good. in PVE. I've had guildmates say that they are almost ready to quit the game because they are frustrated that ANYTHING they can do, I can do better. This sort of issue isn't healthy for the game, and especially the 10 man heroic raiding scene.

Now you, the reader, might ask "Why is it bad that Warlocks are so good?" It isn't bad. It really isn't. What's bad is the fact that raider's have almost unanimously adopted the idea that a Warlock is just about as mandatory as a tank. Sure, there are definitely guilds that will finish this tier strong at 14/14H without a Warlock in sight. But, there is no question that their raid would benefit from having a lock in it.

I'll probably catch a lot of heat and "We totally don't need a Warlock, we are 1337!". Don't care. Warlock mechanics need to spread to other classes, Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post

So this would replace the Demo tree?

Or if not how would you move Meta out of Demo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    And of course flying demonic chariot drawn by six Dreadsteeds
    I'd settle for 2 tbh. 6 would be such a hassle when moving around in tight spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShultz View Post
    What I want to see personally, is a glyph to allow the old models of pets when using Grimoire of Supremacy.
    I'd love this. I miss my Succubus pet being out and about. She's not really had a chance in the spotlight since the brief period in Cata when she was the better pet to use in Affli (and Demo too I think). I'd probably use her consistently regardless of minor dps loss if I could have the Succubus model with me, and not the too big and ugly, and frankly not very interesting (emote-wise) Shivarra.

No changes. Minor nerfs. This way long time Warlocks will continue, and the FOTM re-rollers can move on to the next class.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

I personally, would like to see Blizzard change the dps rotation of Demonology. I find it very boring, how you use HoG whenever it's up and refresh corruption then spam shadowbolt until you get soulfire procs, very boring, Destruction is very boring too but at least it has the burning embers concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

well, if he said "Everyone deserves 4 specs", I assume he was talking about a 4th spec based on a modified version of demo (just like guardian is a modified version of feral).

so it wouldn't replace demo, they'd coexist peacefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

Why not let both have it? There are plenty of cases in game of classes where 2/3 specs have a spell or buff. Change some of the functionality, sure, but no reason both specs couldn't metamorphose.

I doubt it happens, though. Adding and balancing a new class is challenge enough, and that's just 3 specs. I see no reason to think that adding 10ish new specs would not be exponentially more difficult. Sure, the chassis is there, but how does a warlock tank function differently from, say, a DK or Warrior? Worse, how does a rogue tank work differently than a monk or Druid? I have no such pie-in-the-sky expectations. But yes, it would be cool.

RPPM Trinkets - Get rid of them, playing warlock and indeed any dps spec is 99% rng and 1% skill hoping to get trinket procs at the times you want them.
    Fourth Spec - Most likely canidate is obviously Demon Hunter. Just something fresh to the class

Affliction Specific changes - a new dot of some kind, returning shadowbolt to affliction and removal of Malefic Grasp, some more in combat uses of Soul Shards.
    Demonology - Give Immolate back to Demo, Rework Wild imps (Maybe make them not come from Wild Calling and remove glyph of imp swarm, Summoning 1 Imp now costs 50 fury to summon and gains 1 charge every 3 seconds. There is no cooldown on summoning an Imp.)
    Destruction - Add some Proc they need to track, something to keep you awake after the pull.

Talents
    Blood Horror removed and replaced with a new talent. (idea - Passive Talent that increases the healing you take - take 3% more healing for every Ember, Soul Shard or 250 Demonic Fury you have)
    GoSac Made baseline ( scaled so it is NEVER a single target dps increase, but still available for when blizzard make buggy fights, or where pets are useless)
    GoSac replaced with a new Talent (Idea - Your Summon Doomguard/Summon Infernal is now a 5 second cast time but summons a pack of 5 Doomguards or Infernals)
    KJC Made baseline
    KJC Replaced with a new talent (Idea - Each time your pet deals damage with a special ability, you gain a soul of power, when you have 5 soul of powers your next spell with a cast time of 10 seconds or less will be instant cast)
    Manaroths Fury reverted to how it was in 5.2

Soulstone made instant cast, fuck casting battle resses xD
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

I'd rather they reduce the power of trinks than get rid of RPPM. Some RNG is good and I'd argue even necessary.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    No changes. Minor nerfs. This way long time Warlocks will continue, and the FOTM re-rollers can move on to the next class.
    I am a long time warlock and I prefer the class before MOP if I am truthful. Everything feels too streamlined. Just my opinion though. Some of the changes were nice but some of them I did not like at all (GoSac's Introduction, Malefic Grasp for afflic, Immolate removed from demo, Banes/curses removed from destruction).
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg

There are changes I'd like to see to affliction to bring me back; but will never happen. I just don't like how it has evolved and respect others do. It feels too different to the peak of my love for it and honestly, one of the reasons I left the game. I LOVED it in wrath and through Cata; but I don't like the way the self-healing was nerfed, the way haunt was changed, etc. There is some good; but the feel is too different, and I hit a point I couldn't be bothered to relearn again as I did with other classes I quite enjoyed and has changed a lot over the last two xpacs (have a friend that felt the same way about his long time shadow priest he used to love).

I just hope they don't screw with them too much. I'd hate to see others find their way into my apathy and stop play their lock, or the game as a whole. I did like some of the changes in the other two specs quite a bit (destr has always been the simpler spec and I think that works like a beginning spec, like arcane was for mages); was disappointed they nixed the demo tanking quickly in beta. I feel after the druid change, if they'd implement it; they'd almost certainly have to do a 4th spec as not to mess up long time demo players who love their spec ... but then again, they didn't give two shits about the people who loved unholy/frost tanking or blood dps on DKs; so it is wholly in the realm of possibilities to piss on long time demo dps lovers :/

Minions need to have their AI and pathing worked on. It would be great to see you be able to 'subdue' different models/colors of the current ones and allow others you can't get no matter what you do (some core hound demons in blade's edge you can't enslave). There were some voidwalker models over the years I wish I could've used. Maybe even tie it in with the enslave ability ... enslave it x amount of times and it becomes an option to summon in place of your normal minion skin. I'd like that more than buying a glyph which seems to be their way of doing cosmetic changes lately.

I don't agree with their ideas on things though. I don't like the nerfing of GoSac or the way they changed KJC; hell I used harvest life solo in my demo aoe mass pulling. I hate that fun gets nerfed for PvP balance or because 'other casters can't do it' ... if too many people use it, it will get nerfed, it not enough people use it, they may scrap/change it.

I just hope for a bunch of positive news ... or no news, because that is good news compared to a bunch of cringe-worthy changes

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    I'd rather they reduce the power of trinks than get rid of RPPM. Some RNG is good and I'd argue even necessary.
    I disagree, reducing the power means more boring play.
    There still needs to be the feeling of " Sweet trinkets are up lets go Hammmmmmm"
    But there needs to be a removal of this " Well trinkets lined up shit, guess I am doing shit dmg this attempt" or "5 of your dps got procs during movement randomly, and then no procs for the rest of the phase, better wipe it we wont make this dps check this time". I think they should put them all on ICD with slightly shorter ICD's ( 30-40 sec ICD)
    www.method.gg