Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

World of Warcraft loses 1.3 million subscribers

CEO Bobby Kotick spoke of a need to further nerf the Looking For Raid feature in order to encourage casual players to remain subbed and stop the downward spiral.

The game is now down to a measly 6.4 million subscribers, losing 1,300,000 subscribers over the last quarter.

Source: http://investor.activision.com/event...eventid=136046

You gotta register first.

10+ Year Old Account
    the Quarter talk hasn't even started yet lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    ...a measly 6.4 million subscribers...
    Oh internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcindauh View Post
    Is this for real?
    No, the meeting starts in 7 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    CEO Bobby Kotick spoke of a need to further nerf the Looking For Raid feature in order to encourage casual players to remain subbed and stop the downward spiral.http://investor.activision.com/event...eventid=136046
    Don't know if this comment is for real or not but don't care. Ever since the game started to get more, and more and more and more casual you started bleeding and bleeding and crashing in subscribers and you're reaction is to keep making it more casual? Instead of taking the game back to a time where it was hard but its subs gains outpaced subs lost.

I am sure blizzard lost subs again this quarter. Don't know if it is 1.3 M but we will see.

Is this for real?
    No, the conference call hasn't started yet. It will start in a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooxi View Post
    Don't know if this comment is for real or not but don't care. Ever since the game started to get more, and more and more and more casual you started bleeding and bleeding and crashing in subscribers and you're reaction is to keep making it more casual? Instead of taking the game back to a time where it was hard but its subs gains outpaced subs lost.
    Yes, back then the game was also new.

Kind of hard to go back to that now.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Well those that guessed a loss of 1 mil plus on the MMO polls set up here by users give yourselves a pat on the back, you called it. (gives self a pat on the back)

Not that losing 1 mil is a good thing but maybe some significant good changes may come of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    Well those that guessed a loss of 1 mil plus on the MMO polls set up here by users give yourselves a pat on the back, you called it. (gives self a pat on the back)
    Read the thread before you comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post

I see tens of thousands (+) of players on the TBC and vanilla private servers I play on alone. Why are they there when what they're playing is almost 10 years old? Maybe you should go ask them.

I don't bother to post here much because I know any negative comments I make about wows direction get flooded out by "Wow was new then now its old" and "Nostalgia Goggles!".

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    There's not really a good answer. Casual players could quit if the game gets harder and hardcore players could quit if the game gets easier. Trying to bring in NEW players is the only real answer.
    And so the debate starts in a false thread about how many subscribers lost.

Lol.

The call hasn't even started yet.

Slow your roll people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Is this for real?
    No (/10 chars)

Considering the conference has not started yet, this should probably be closed so that people are not misinformed.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post

This fact will conveniently be overlooked and ignored by every single swinging dick every single time they want to toss out something like "HURR MAKE IT HARD AND SUBS WILL GO UP"

Because if being "Hard" was the simple answer, then EverQuest would stomp WoW's sub numbers. (WoW was the "Casual" alternative to EverQuest back in 1.0)

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    There's not really a good answer. Casual players could quit if the game gets harder and hardcore players could quit if the game gets easier. Trying to bring in NEW players is the only real answer.
    Yes, and how many potential new World of Warcraft players are there? There are far more people who have played WoW and stopped (I recall 20 million being mentioned back during late Wrath) than there are people playing it right now. The pool of new players is both limited and diluted by the glut of F2P MMORPGs that simply weren't around when World of Warcraft was new.

Simply put, there aren't nearly as many new players than there were back then, and that's not something that can be fixed. Subs will drop until the amount of new players and players leaving are roughly the same and the subscriber base stabilizes. I suspect it'll be around 1 million players.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

It's true. People are saying it's fake without even registering. I don't know if trolls or overly dense.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooxi View Post
    Wrath was the most casual expansion but still went upwards in sub numbers, until the one year long ICC shitfest.

10+ Year Old Account
    If true: Considering how old WoW is now and the amount of free MMO's on the market why is this even surprising? WoW is still the most popular MMO out there though. The MMO is just a bigger scene now, dont expect WoW to carry around the same weight it always did when there are more options out there. Not Blizzards fault, its just business.
    Last edited by Orby; 2013-11-06 at 02:19 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swagster View Post
    It's true. People are saying it's fake without even registering. I don't know if trolls or overly dense.
    how do you know they didnt register?
    you dont, you have no clue if they did or didnt
    you are just talking out your ass to seem important and smart