Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Survival Hunter I need your help

What is your opening on raid boss ? I usualy lack focus to put all my dots up on start... Am I missing something ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lordpete View Post
    What is your opening on raid boss ? I usualy lack focus to put all my dots up on start... Am I missing something ?
    A buh? Serpent Sting --> Explosive Shot --> Black Arrow is 75 focus and you start with 100.

Quote Originally Posted by 3clipse View Post
    A buh? Serpent Sting --> Explosive Shot --> Black Arrow is 75 focus and you start with 100.
    He's probably using a murder of crows

Yeah i'm using Murder of crow. What do you guys use ?

You're not missing anything. What do you do when you lack focus?
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

10+ Year Old Account
    Serpent Sting > Stampede > Murder of Crows > Rapid Fire > Black Arrow > Dire Beast > Glaive Toss (if I have the immediate focus) > Cobra Shot > Explosive Shot
    Lightninghoof - US : @WoWNivan

Serpent Sting -> Stampede -> Rapid Fire -> Explosive Shot -> Black Arrow -> Glaive Toss

By the time I get done with the opener, my 4pc procs and I basically go into boomkin mode....meaning, popping off lock and load constant procs, then hitting thrill of the hunt procs.

Murder of crows and dire beast are a dps loss imo. Replace Murder of Crows with Blink Strikes and replace Dire Beast with Thrill of the Hunt.

Ricket is a good source of information, I would suggest watching some of her videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NCPRicket

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see Blink Strikes being a DPS increase (especially with all of the target switching in SoO). I'm not a big fan of the RNG nature of TotH but it's worth trying out. I wouldn't mind a few less key binds.

- - - Updated - - -

Playing around with talents in simcraft, both TotH and BS come out as a DPS loss on my hunter (with the usual simcraft settings)

- - - Updated - - -

To be more Specific: Swapping Crows for Blink Strikes drops DPS by 4k. Swapping Dire Beast for Thrill is another 4.3k drop.
    Lightninghoof - US : @WoWNivan

Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    Serpent Sting -> Stampede -> Rapid Fire -> Explosive Shot -> Black Arrow -> Glaive Toss

By the time I get done with the opener, my 4pc procs and I basically go into boomkin mode....meaning, popping off lock and load constant procs, then hitting thrill of the hunt procs.

Murder of crows and dire beast are a dps loss imo. Replace Murder of Crows with Blink Strikes and replace Dire Beast with Thrill of the Hunt.

Ricket is a good source of information, I would suggest watching some of her videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NCPRicket
    They're really not though. They're actually a gain like 90% of the time.

Deleted
    i usually start with black arrow + serpent sting, then rapid fire and stampede, then murder of crows + dire beast. long cooldowns to short

Quote Originally Posted by 3clipse View Post
    This, except I would suggest using Explosive Shot first to get Hunter's Mark up on your target, as well as your main source of damage on an early cool down.

Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post

if she is telling you that AMoC and Dire Beast are dps loss vs ToTH and Blink strikes i think you need to look at someone else. is fine if she can make it work for her, dosnt mean is a dps loss or are better talents. there is another hunter around that prefer ToTH over dire beast and i think he mention that sims must be doing something wrong because he was beating his sim dps by a mile. so far for my experience Dire beast is a dps increase for me along with AMoC as sv, you can really notice, this dosnt mean that you cant get good numbers with other talents, i get better results with that combo.

im 100% sure that taking into account everything in play AMoC is by far way better than BS for survival, like hands down.

How does high latency affect your AMoC damage?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Extraordinaire View Post
    Depends on latency too...

For me, BS is far better than AMoC, just because of my high latency, DB is probably slightly better than TotH but I'm having fun with it currently (super fast rapid fire CD )
    How high latency do you have for AMoC to be bad? 20k?

DB is a talent in which you have to counter movement of the boss, and moreso your tanks and how cleanly they switch. If DB loses a swing, not only do you lose damage, but you also lose focus, and its value starts plummeting the more movement there is (of the boss).

For example, in T14, DB was clearly the best talent for BM, but it was completely worthless on H-Elite Protectors because you had to kite Kaolan at the end. Tsulong it was a pain in day phase because everything died so quick it 1) spent a lot of its time target switching, 2) spent a lot of time moving with adds. In night phase, our tank would move the boss next to the sunbeam, so you could miss some swings there. On Lei Shi, DB was mostly fine, except when she was hidden and you popped it right beforehand (but the same was true for any of those talents, I believe, I don't think AMoC transferred over? Sha, it was fine if you weren't kill adds (H-25 in early progression) and you could just put it on the boss/panda, but you lost swings if you were doing adds/in H-only phase on Sha. Because it's a guardian and not a pet, you can't just stick it on the boss and then switch to adds, it will follow you to the adds.

That's just one instance to illustrate the problems with DB. I wish it was more a DoT like AMoC, then it would be waaaaaaaaaaaay more powerful. Or even if it was more powerful but shorter duration, so you could game it better during "standstill times." But with 50% uptime (even more before Readiness removal), you were bound to miss swings if you used it on CD, and not using it on CD eventually leads to losses....whereas Fervor you can plan to be focus starved every 30s to pop it, much easier.

AMoC is just better for SV, though, I'm guessing, unless you have a weird fight time.

- - - Updated - - -

That post makes me sound like I have a vendetta against DB.

To be clear: I really, really do. I hate DB.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2013-11-06 at 11:28 PM.

Use Fervor and watch your focus issues disappear

I pretty much always spec Fervor when I'm using AMoC because it's just easier. Otherwise I find myself getting irritated because other things keep coming off CD when AMoC is off CD. So my opening looks something like this:

SrS > Rapid Fire + Stampede > Black Arrow > Explosive > (Arcane Shot if over 50 focus >) Fervor + AMoC

To answer your implied question, though, it's probably okay if you end up not casting AMoC until 10 seconds into the fight. Unless the fight happens to last exactly 4min30s in which case, oh well.

Edit: oh right, forgot about Glaive. That goes after Explosive.
    Last edited by Musca; 2013-11-07 at 02:28 AM.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    My opener consists of this:

Serpent -> Stampede/Rapid Fire (Macro'd together, since Rapid is off the GCD) -> Explosive (want to get as many of these in during the fight as possible and hopefully LnL procs while it's on CD) -> Black Arrow -> Glaive Toss -> Fervor/AMoC -> Arcane Shots.

That's me anyway. Always curious how other people go. Oh, and can I say this: I love not having Readiness anymore, overall. I do miss the consistent 1min Deterrences. 7 Second Disengage (w/ Trinket) is awesome though.

10+ Year Old Account
    My opener: serpent, crows, stampede, black arrow, cobra shot, explosive shot.
    If you use serpent crows then you wont have focus for black arrow, so you use stampede and then you have enough focus to cast black arrow.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    my opener. serpent stampede rapid with berserk amoc direbeast blackarrow explosiv gleve cobra