Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    You dont need a server. You buy a Red Ray player http://www.red.com/products/redray as of now anyway
    I bet you hook it up with your ultra oxygen free monolithic copper monster cables too...
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Nevermind that even with 4K TV/projector today standard bluray is still only 1080p. It's just being upscaled and unless you've got devices supporting HDMI 2.0 (of which you can count the number that do on one hand still...) it's still compressed 4K video.

Ultimately all of this "ermahgerd technology!" Bravado amounts to utter bullshit.

You are aware that blurays are just using H.264/MPEG-4 Encoding...by definition it is compressed.
    Yes but only to the point where compressing it more will cause artifacts. You cant even stream Bluray quality video and HD Master Audio from Netflix as you wont have any way to buy that much bandwith

Deleted
    for me not 2 fucks were given about the company but there staff were always pleasant and I'm quite a dodgy customer to please sometimes so I feel for them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I bet you hook it up with your ultra oxygen free monolithic copper monster cables too...
    Nope, just a HDMI 2.0 cable as digital signals dont need special cables

Nope, just a HDMI 2.0 cable as digital signals dont need special cables
    an hdmi 2.0 cable huh?

This just sounds like money spinning down a flushing toilet.

I dont watch TV on a 50 inch screen. I have a 120 inch screen on the wall and 4k is a huge improvement over 1080P. I plan on buying a good 4k projector once they get down to $5000 or less. What kind of true movie lover would watch a good movie on a tiny 50 inch screen.
    The kinds who don't spend $10,000 on a TV/projector? You know, most people.

How far away from the screen do you sit?
    Hence why I said streaming video needs to go away and real physical media needs to make a return, it cant handle good quality video quality.
    How much are you willing to pay for a movie? 100TB of physical media per movie would probably be a few thousand dollars.

I'm content with movies in 480p on my 15" monitor as long as they're audible. Am I a bad person?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Supermarkets have had them since at least the 80's.
    Not where I was living.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    This just sounds like money spinning down a flushing toilet.
    The sound and image quality of my $1000 bill going down the toilet is vastly superior to the quality of your $100 bill going down the toilet. Look at the PPI, it's almost like you can actually SEE the $1000 swirling into the toilet.

Glad I bought that $500 monster power supply, I'd hate to see what it would look like without my trademarked Monster power transformer not leveling out the power modulations using their proprietary flux tremor dampening technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    The sound and image quality of my $1000 bill going down the toilet is vastly superior to the quality of your $100 bill going down the toilet. Look at the PPI, it's almost like you can actually SEE the $1000 swirling into the toilet.

Glad I bought that $500 monster power supply, I'd hate to see what it would look like without my trademarked Monster power transformer not leveling out the power modulations using their proprietary flux tremor dampening technology.
    When you're using a Bose 7.1, you can really tell what money going down the toilet sounds like.

When you're using a Bose 7.1, you can really tell what money going down the toilet sounds like.
    Fuck that 7.1 noise, I've got 45.1 audio.

Who in their right mind listens to audio at 7.1? I mean, you might as well not even listen.

/hispteraudiovideophile

The best part about our Blockbuster was I could rent tv seasons and get caught up ones I missed. Ours Blockbuster opened about 10 years ago and died about 3 years ago. It wasn't around long. So did our Rogers Video store plus a couple smaller DVD places. Sad because it put a lot of people out of work. You wonder if we are going to be so technically advanced there will be no jobs for anyone.

Yes but only to the point where compressing it more will cause artifacts. You cant even stream Bluray quality video and HD Master Audio from Netflix as you wont have any way to buy that much bandwith
    Bluray only specs to about 40-50Mbps bandwidth. Uncompressed 1080p requires much much more, about 10x as much. There's plenty of internet providers capable of delivering at least that much, most are 3-5x as much these days.

My mother went and got the Bose Cinemate thing, idk it's just a 2.1. Definitely overpriced, but it's not bad at all. Them crazy Germans do an alright job for the most part.

I personally like my Sony HTIB 5.1 lol.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-11-06 at 08:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    The best part about our Blockbuster was I could rent tv seasons and get caught up ones I missed. Ours Blockbuster opened about 10 years ago and died about 3 years ago. It wasn't around long. So did our Rogers Video store plus a couple smaller DVD places. Sad because it put a lot of people out of work. You wonder if we are going to be so technically advanced there will be no jobs for anyone.
    I hear netflix and redbox are hiring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blue Ray discs are uncompressed or least only compressed to the point where the quality couldnt be any better with less compression
    No. Your information is not even close to correct.

Blu ray uses MPEG-2 (same system as DVDs), MPEG-4, or VC-1 (same as Netflix uses) compression.

- - - Updated - - -

You dont need a server. You buy a Red Ray player http://www.red.com/products/redray as of now anyway

4k video at 20Mbps? That's some fucking magic compression scheme they're using.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    But Orlong wants his video uncompressed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post

They advertise 100 hours of 4K on a 1TB drive. So like a 430:1 compression ratio?

It certainly must be some compression magic to even get it to work off a single SATA3 drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post

Bullshit. If that's what your 1080p looks like, get your money back.
    Hey now, 1080p might look like that.

If you have glaucoma...unfortunately the 4K would too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post

Bullshit. If that's what your 1080p looks like, get your money back.
    I was thinking the same thing when I looked at the page.

i remeber renting a movie there once!fond memroy for sure!