Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Comparing boxart and name of MoP to previous expansion

Compare these two. A panda. A Molten dragon gushing lava. Which is more likely to draw the attention of a browser gamer? I personally think the marketing team failed with MoP and the people who came up with this name definitely failed considering what this expansion is truly about : War they definitely could have done a lot better. If you were apart of Blizzard marketing team what name would you give this expac and what would the boxart look like?

10+ Year Old Account
    The dragon.

Same goes for the theme for most players i think, Rather fight a Dragon then a Panda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh. No need to market WoW and try and tell people what it is. We all know. Even people who don't play WoW know what it is.

Cataclysm is still on the shelves, people can still see it, and if you have any shred of interest you will know why there is a Pandaren on the cover.

Deleted
    Epicus Maximus of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would of put a human on the left and orc on the right with a Sha infested background covering Pandaria in the background. Kind of like a tribute to Orcs and Humans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do we really have to do this thread again? The amount of 'browser gamers' is an extremely miniscule part of the playerbase, especially with WOW. Let's take a look at the boxart while the subscriptions were growing:

Original WoW:
    TBC:
    WOTLK:

The only one that looks like 'exciting and perhaps some action' is WOTLK. The boxes make an extremely miniscule difference to subs.

I don't think boxart has much impact (i.e. I would venture to say it's quite insignificant as long as the art style isn't crap). Tons of subs were lost with Cataclysm too.

10+ Year Old Account
    what is box art?
    hell! what's a box?
    i downloaded every single game directly off the internet.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    Do we really have to do this thread again? The amount of 'browser gamers' is an extremely miniscule part of the playerbase, especially with WOW. Let's take a look at the boxart while the subscriptions were growing:

Original WoW:
    TBC:
    WOTLK:

The only one that looks like 'exciting and perhaps some action' is WOTLK. The boxes make an extremely miniscule difference to subs.
    This was a different age my friend. WoW was all over the internet hell even South Park made an episode about it that no doubt influenced people to get into the game. WoW was an fleshed out open world adventure, when you first play WoW it's like this : and WoW was the FIRST online game to have such a world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    Do we really have to do this thread again?

The boxes make an extremely miniscule difference to subs.
    This and that. The boxes' art means nothing to me if the game is crap.

But WoW has stood the test of time, and is coming up on 10yrs and over 7million active subs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vren View Post
    This and that. The boxes' art means nothing to me if the game is crap.

But WoW has stood the test of time, and is coming up on 10yrs and over 7million active subs.
    Slow down bud, WoW still has a 9 yr anniversary to go on;p
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Deleted
    i remember vanilla having two box arts.

Interesting to see all the expansion artworks. Vanilla and TBC artwork look like complete garbage relative to the quality of the MoP artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    what is box art?
    hell! what's a box?
    i downloaded every single game directly off the internet.
    Except when some of them came out you couldn't download them and needed to buy the box.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    Except when some of them came out you couldn't download them and needed to buy the box.
    Oh man, when WoW started appearing on torrent sites, I was ecstatic. My CDs had been basically destroyed by that point, TBC was right around the corner, and I'd just built a new computer - and I was busily trying to find someone, anyone, I knew who I could borrow CDs from.
    Looking for Raid: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Come - we must be cautious.

10+ Year Old Account
    People buy the boxes still?

I do not believe box art has a significant impact on sales.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drago123 View Post
    This was a different age my friend. WoW was all over the internet hell even South Park made an episode about it that no doubt influenced people to get into the game. WoW was an fleshed out open world adventure, when you first play WoW it's like this : and WoW was the FIRST online game to have such a world.
    The first online game to have such a world? I disagree, and I believe most old school MMO'ers were. I understand that it was your first MMO, but don't start stating it was because of the box art. The South Park episode didn't come out until quite late into WoW's life. My point is boxart means shit all for most people - people know what WoW is. If you don't know what WoW is, the boxart isn't going to be the reason you start playing.

Deleted
    A Mogu might have made a good character for the box art. Having Garrosh would have been a bit misleading straight away as he doesn't even appear properly until the 5.1 stuff. Maybe have a Mogue, a Mantid and a Sha in the middle to represent the multiple villains of MOP. But yeah Chen on the cover was fine anyway. I think he looks cool.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    A Mogu might have made a good character for the box art. Having Garrosh would have been a bit misleading straight away as he doesn't even appear properly until the 5.1 stuff. Maybe have a Mogue, a Mantid and a Sha in the middle to represent the multiple villains of MOP. But yeah Chen on the cover was fine anyway. I think he looks cool.
    Oooo... a Sha on the cover. That would've been badass.
    Looking for Raid: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Come - we must be cautious.