Thread: Pay for Races?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Pay for Races?

I'm not sure if this has ever been mentioned, most likely has, but I'm still going to ask. What would you think of Blizzard implementing a way where people could pay for races separately from the game? Yes, I doe realize it would take a HUGE amount of work. However, it's just a thought. What do you guys think? What races could they do this for?

I don't care for the idea. I'm sure some suckers who like to pay subs for their micro-transaction games will be able to give you a better answer though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Micro-transactions would be the nail in the coffin.

Why? You don't even have to buy the xpac to have access to the races. Like right now, you can make a pandaren without having MOP. It's only the class that is limited ( as in you can't make a monk ) So right now, and if they stick to what they said in the beginning of MOP about making races avaible to everyone, every race will be "free" ( included in the subscription fee if you like ) .

10+ Year Old Account
    wont happen. even when wow goes with the micro xactions.

I have always thought that when blizzard does Advanced Races.. they could charge for unlocking them.

Advanced races are sub-races, called advanced because they are unlocked at various different levels. The levels you encounter that group.

Each race has 3 sub-groups or racial factions. The original already playable one, and 2 more. E.g. Dwarf: Bronzebeards (the original), Dark Irons and Wildhammers. Or Orcs: Durotar Orcs (Green ones), Mag'har orcs, Dragaonmaw orcs. Mag'har are accessible once you complete the unlocking quest when you reach Nagrand around level 62. Dragonmaw, once you've done the Cata level 84 quest where the horde meet up with them for the Twilight Highlands campaign. The beauty of advanced races, is like DKs, you start them at the level of the unlocking quest (imagine not having to start a class from level 1 all the time),

Now you can unlock a race group another way. Paying cash, if you don't wanna wait till you get to that level, pay $8. There is a backage deal though, for $30 you can unlock all the races. Alternatively you'll have to do their unlocking quests.

This way the payment is optional. There is a way to get them unlocked without paying money. I think that can work

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love it, then again I buy everything from the Blizzard store pretty much no matter what so take my response with a grain of salt.

15+ Year Old Account
    Really unlikely. If Blizzard monetizes anything, it's safe to assume that races won't be one of those things, given that they've actively done the opposite of monetizing them. You don't even need to buy expansions to play the new races anymore.

Honestly, I don't think there's even that much stuff for Blizzard to monetize in WoW if they took it B/F2P. We already have a ton of character slots, we have plenty of bank and bag space, nobody really needs leveling potions. Maybe gear crates? Transmog sets? Content seems the most likely.

Then again, I also don't think they've got any incentive to shift WoW to those models. They still have a lot of subscribers to drop before the alternative becomes more profitable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Only if they also implemented an in-game not-real-cash way to unlock the race as well (and no, I don't mean like the Guardian Cub... I mean more like "Well, you can pay $10, or you can do a week-long quest" or something). Personally, I have no problem with microtransactions as long as players who don't want to pay can access the same content. It would allow them to put out more races, which I would love; and it would help prevent some of the "wasted resources" whining. Though people whine about the current cash shop mounts so, yeah.

Sig by Isilrien

Why? I'm with gannimor. We pay nothing for races now, why would we want them to have special paid races?

If they want us to pay for races they should make it so they're tied to expansions again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    This idea would lead to me quitting the game once and for all. There are enough shitty f2p games for me to go try if I wanted the hassle of microtransactions.

If this was a F2P model, like SWOTOR it wouldn't make me completely aggravated, but I don't pay $15 a month for limited access. Especially since I've been playing since '05. I've played through a lot of changes I don't like, but this would absolutely be a nail in the coffin.

I don't think they can pull it off with World of Warcraft still being subscribed based. For F2P games the justification is a lot higher and the fanbase would be more accepting of the decision.

Funny, I created a similar thread and the mass majority of people were fine with the idea of microtransaction races.
    Chronomancer Club

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Not offering a proper casual endgame probably would be a much bigger nail in the coffin. I'm certain most casual players wouldn't mind having to pay $9.99 to unlock new playable races or skins.
    What makes a proper casual endgame? There doesn't seem to be missing anything right now.

Also, there's no way in hell most casuals would pay $10 for new skins/races.

I pay for the expansion (and it's not cheap), and I pay for a monthly subscription.

I'm already not okay with the fee for character transfers or race/faction changes, but those are pretty much purely for the convenience of the player (the service has been around for years now and ought to have more than payed for itself; keep the "cooldown," but dropping the price significantly would be nice).

Having to pay for additional actual parts of the game would ... upset me. If there's a new race, that new race deserves a starter area of its own, and some story behind the "skin."

No. Not on top of a pay to play, subscription based game.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    Funny, I created a similar thread and the mass majority of people were fine with the idea of microtransaction races.
    Presentation is everything, there are some things if presented the right way would get a lot of support than if written the wrong way, which is why you can't judge the worthiness of a concept by forum reaction. A great concept can have a poor presentation - too wordy, not unclear, emphasizes an unpopular feature, sometimes if something is not completley error proof from it's introduction, you'd have a bunch of people who fail to take into account you're just giving rough ideas, and will reject what you say because it didn't fit perfectly or they discovered a flaw.

Last but not least, you might get flamed if you're not popular or disliked, those that remember you will venomize anything you right, will pick all the holes they can in it, and will shoot it down. Forums for you.

Just don't think to much about it, take it with a pinch of salt, don't get too attached..it's generally not worth it

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...y-for-subraces
    This?

I see 35 voted no and only 9 voted in favor. Most of the people who posted were either apathetic or not in favor.

We already pay for the races as a part of expansion packs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Horrible idea.