Interested in trying Rift.

Hello Rift community, as the title says I'm thinking of giving Rift a go. As far as gameplay is concerned, how is the Pve/Pvp in the game? What kind of Postgame stuff can I do at max level? What class/character would you suggest? Is this game to a degree 'single/double player friendly'?

I'm not new when it comes to MMO's though as I play in a top guild in WoW but I want to expand my game options and feel this might be a nice break from it.

Never been to end game but from what I have played... like 40 lvls... this is what i have taken from it. Questing is pretty much the same as wow minus the rifts you get to close. However, it is really badass the first time you see a rift. But, they are far to frequent to be anything more than a annoyance. No one really seems to do them unless it is a zone wide invasion. Dungeon ques are over an hour long at any lvl for damge classes. Role a tank or heals or have friends. The graphics were not to my taste I know alot like the more "realalistic" graphics but to me they look worse than wow...yes I played both on ultra... So if you are looking for a wow clone with a few cool elements rift is the best one out there. Or if you are just looking for a some zones you have never seen without having to learn a new game rift is for you.

Well, Rift is the epitome of the 2nd gen theme park MMORPG. All that one would expect in gameplay and design from MMOs made post-World of Warcraft and in the style of World of Warcraft is within Rift.

There is a leveling phase of the content. By which one receives combat skills, skill points, statistical bonuses and so on. The initial leveling phase is promoted primarily through the device of questing in the style of post-World of Warcraft MMOs. Though other means such as dungeons, PVP battlegrounds, daily quests and spontaneous local quests known as Rifts & invasions offer leveling as well.

Progression is measured two-fold; by character level (level 1, 2, 3... 20, 30..) and gear acquisition (level 10 gear, level 20 gear, raid tier 1 gear, raid tier 2 gear).

Being a post-WoW 2nd gen MMO, Rift is distinctly bimodal. At the endgame, one participates in dungeons, world events and raids to continue the gearing progression began at level 2.

You mentioned a familiarity with MMOs so most of this should be immediately obvious to you without further extrapolation. It seems somewhat odd to ask in a certain respect.

I've been playing a lot recently due to its F2P nature as with any mmo the end game is quite a grind, from what i've gathered so far you do dailies/weeklys/events for infinity stones which will get you to the best quality level 60 blues, after that you either raid or do extremes(heroic/hardmode) dungeons for better badges.. the only problem is you can only do 1 per day (for badges) so at 60 you'll probably have 7x extremes to run but you can burn through all them in one or two sittings then your practically stuck with dailies and events.

on top of that you have rep grinds because there are various BiS items that you can only get from faction vendors, especially the torvan hunters is probably the main one it seems as they offer upto ledgendary quality planar essences.

its quite easy to pug most stuff but like wow, at least on the server i'm on most ppl want achievements before they'll let you join so there is that catch 22 thing going on with the instanced raids, although it probably isn't hard to find a guild starting t1 raiding.

i'm quite a new 60 but this is what i've figured out seems to be the main progression path world gear > extremes > raid and rep grinding on the side.

as for pvp, i'm not really big on it myself, i liked the idea of pvp rifts where both teams are fighting each other over the loot, but i don't know how often they happen, the game does have battlegrounds and a large AV style thing called conquest which pits 3 teams against each other and is sort of like capture as many points as you can, its pretty fun, the zergs lag my computer to pieces though.

if there is one thing i really do enjoy about rift, its healing, i've played a priest in wow since the beginning, but i find the cleric and the healing game slightly more enjoyable here, it could be that i just haven't played it as much, and like most ppl are burned out with wow, or it could just be the ability sets you get, i really like the abilities, i found myself saying ' holy cow i get this this this and this, i feel like a priest/pala/shaman/druid all rolled into one'.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2013-11-07 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Templur View Post
    Hello Rift community, as the title says I'm thinking of giving Rift a go. As far as gameplay is concerned, how is the Pve/Pvp in the game? What kind of Postgame stuff can I do at max level? What class/character would you suggest? Is this game to a degree 'single/double player friendly'?

I'm not new when it comes to MMO's though as I play in a top guild in WoW but I want to expand my game options and feel this might be a nice break from it.
    So, I'm going to express my opinion, and not many will agree with it if any.

I, can't do rifts pve end game. It just isn't fun, in fact I can't really do WoW's anymore, at least tier 16. It isn't fun to me.

The fights, are not horrible scripted, they're done alright, at least tier 1, I haven't seen tier 2 Storm legion. I just, if people screw up in your raid, and fail to put time into at least knowing what their class can do, you are going to have bad time (pun intended).

The PvP I hear is horrible, but lets be honest, what game doesn't have players complaining about the PvP.

Other than raiding for post game theres dailies, rifts, daily raid rifts which are just basically rifts with higher health & more damage, events, and just your normal achievement collecting. Although the new zone came out today and I haven't been to it yet, so I don't know how that plays out.

As far as suggestion right now from what I see in my raids group, warriors and rogues are destroying the meters right now. Mages just are a bit behind, but not extremely far behind, and we don't run any cleric dps.

For tanking I can't answer that, but we run cleric/warrior tank, so take that with a grain of salt. The game is definitely single/dual player friendly, but keep in mind its an MMO.

Rift, is just not for some people, like myself. My advice, is don't put any money into it until you are absolutely sure its worth it. As everyone says in an MMO, the end-game is a whole new game from the leveling experience. And this is by far so true for rift. I had fun leveling, but once it became end-game it was back to the grind scene.

Its to the point where I'm actually having more fun playing runescape...

^ that is probably the worst example...god help me now for saying that

Isn't Runescape entirely predicated on a what is an infinite grind?

Seems somewhat contradictory to fault the grind of WoW and Rift [which are strictly bimodal 2nd era MMOs] but contrast them with enjoyment of a pre-2001 MMO by design. An odd assessment.

Though as I said above to the OP, Rift is exactly what one should expect of an MMO made in the particular style of post-World of Warcraft 2nd era MMOs. Which might not be enticing depending on one's fatigue regarding that style of MMO.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-11-07 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I've been playing a lot recently due to its F2P nature as with any mmo the end game is quite a grind, from what i've gathered so far you do dailies/weeklys/events for infinity stones which will get you to the best quality level 60 blues, after that you either raid or do extremes(heroic/hardmode) dungeons for better badges.. the only problem is you can only do 1 per day (for badges) so at 60 you'll probably have 7x extremes to run but you can burn through all them in one or two sittings then your practically stuck with dailies and events.

on top of that you have rep grinds because there are various BiS items that you can only get from faction vendors, especially the torvan hunters is probably the main one it seems as they offer upto ledgendary quality planar essences.

its quite easy to pug most stuff but like wow, at least on the server i'm on most ppl want achievements before they'll let you join so there is that catch 22 thing going on with the instanced raids, although it probably isn't hard to find a guild starting t1 raiding.

i'm quite a new 60 but this is what i've figured out seems to be the main progression path world gear > extremes > raid and rep grinding on the side.

as for pvp, i'm not really big on it myself, i liked the idea of pvp rifts where both teams are fighting each other over the loot, but i don't know how often they happen, the game does have battlegrounds and a large AV style thing called conquest which pits 3 teams against each other and is sort of like capture as many points as you can, its pretty fun, the zergs lag my computer to pieces though.

if there is one thing i really do enjoy about rift, its healing, i've played a priest in wow since the beginning, but i find the cleric and the healing game slightly more enjoyable here, it could be that i just haven't played it as much, and like most ppl are burned out with wow, or it could just be the ability sets you get, i really like the abilities, i found myself saying ' holy cow i get this this this and this, i feel like a priest/pala/shaman/druid all rolled into one'.
    Couple errors in here I want to point out so OP does not get confused.

First of all, minor one, but they are Experts, not Extremes.

Second, the Infinity Stones you get at End Game get you more than Blues. They get you Epics. The Epics you buy with them are not as good as dungeon gear at first, but for more Infinity Stones(significantly more) you can buy upgrade items that make them roughly equivalent to the Dungeon Gear, even giving you the Dungeon Set bonus. Now that T2 is out, you can now upgrade them again to near T1 quality gear. You can never get as good as the current tier with open world content, but just behind it. This gear is also available for purchase with credits if you so choose.

Now, that said about the gear, it is not really the best way to go about it. The best way is actually to ignore most of it entirely!! You can get ready for Experts with crafted items then get ready for raids by running Experts. You can quite literally, if you have the items crafted before you hit 60, be Expert ready within seconds of hitting 60.

As for the PuGs, I see progression PuGs sometimes as well. Yeah, a lot of them require achievements, but there are always guilds getting in to T1 content like you said. My guild happens to be one. If you are NA and need some help getting Expert Ready and then Raid Ready my guild can help you, let me know.

Now the rep grind, yeah, it's there. You can get into T1 raiding without it, but should be at least working on it in your spare time. It isn't all that bad really, just gets boring after a while. Personally, it was difficult for me to do more than 2-3 Hunt Rifts in a row sometimes, though I finally forced myself to do it for an entire afternoon and finished off Torvan. Still need Lycini and still need to farm the GHs for a greater essence drop though. Again, not entirely necessary though and it's nice to have something to work towards instead of having it all.

Just to let you know, the PvP Rifts are a thing of the past. They were 50 content. I guess some people still run them, but it's a crap shoot if people show up. They happen as often as you want though, they are opened on Raid Rifts on Level 50 Zones with a Lure you can buy.

You think Cleric healing is fun, try Mage. Totally different healer from anything in WoW.

heh yeah i re-read what i wrote and saw the word i used was wrong, extremes > experts thanks for correcting me there, i wasn't entirely sure how far you could go with just infinity stones although that would probably be the biggest grind on par with getting torvan hunters venerated, to get enough infinities to upgrade the full dungeon set and buy all the other bits, your looking at perhaps 50000 as a ruff guess, it could be more, when on average if i do dailies in ashora and steppes with a couple of carnage thrown in, i might make 3000-4000 per day, without raiding it slows down quite a bit. if you can get into raiding it would probably be a quicker way to progress without having to farm so much to get upgrades.

this is assuming you stick with one soul, if you do a healer in rift its almost mandatory to have at least a dps offspec, i leveled to 52 or so as a healer and eventually the mobs just have too much health and healer dps is quite terrible, if thats the case then your looking at even more infinity stone grinding for synergy crystals for your offspecs and even essences to go with it unless you avoid greaters and stack lessers for stat increases. the best part about offspecs in rift is that you only need to replace a couple of items because stats are tied to classes, at first i thought i might need to collect different gear to do any good as a druid for example, but no your healing gear works just fine as dps gear for the most part, all you have to replace are your proccing items.

personally im on the EU shard gelidra, i haven't tried a mage yet but i might do one, i'd like to try a bard next and see what support is like.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2013-11-07 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Isn't Runescape entirely predicated on a what is an infinite grind?

Seems somewhat contradictory to fault the grind of WoW and Rift [which are strictly bimodal 2nd era MMOs] but contrast them with enjoyment of a pre-2001 MMO by design. An odd assessment.

Though as I said above to the OP, Rift is exactly what one should expect of an MMO made in the particular style of post-World of Warcraft 2nd era MMOs. Which might not be enticing depending on one's fatigue regarding that style of MMO.
    God isn't helping me...oh halpHALP

Idk, I space it out and its a casual game, and I can't train my mind to treat wow or rift as a casual game. Sooner or later I'll want to dive & try to be hardcore.

Where as runescape, I've had the account since summer 2004 and I still haven't reached max levels on anything yet, so I kinda feel obligated to do so, since alot of my friends who played it then & still have, have done so.

That wasn't off-topic or anything...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post

I, can't do rifts pve end game. It just isn't fun, in fact I can't really do WoW's anymore, at least tier 16. It isn't fun to me.
    That's like saying "I don't like football, infact I don't like sports at all". Doesn't really say anything about Rift as a game, just that you are tired of the genre. Not very useful information to a newcomer.
    Last edited by CptEgo; 2013-11-12 at 10:50 AM.

If you're bored of wow but like the overall style you will like Rift.

The leveling is more diverse. Everything including solo quests are doable as a group since even quest items spawn for all party members or are shared in the quest objective.
    I barely did any solo questing, mostly made some story quests for the lore.

PvP reminds me of old wow. No rated BGs or arenas but also no botfest or noobs flaming everything for their mistakes.
    PvE wise i didnt' made raids yet but their very well talked. Dungeons seem very linear at start but with levels getting higher bosses become more complex and challenging. Heroics at starting gear remind me of TBC in terms of difficulty and challenge.

You also have your good dose of grinds but at least they don't force you to pay for playing.

Yesterday I was playing Rift after a loooong break (played in open beta, even made a PvP video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAejwGG8UA4 )

I remember when people touted Rift's graphics compared to WoW. World looks very lovely, but skills, oh my god the skills.

First - Fire Shield (or w/e). It looks so unbelievably bad, like 2002 bad. Mages in WoW - a simple 2d sprite (?) and one simple 3D model and it is just gorgeous.

Second - Cinder Burst. My most epic damage spell. And it looks like crap. Just compare that to Soulfire or Chaos Bolt. Feh.

With skills looking so bland, I just don't want to play it. Couple it with uninspired questing. And Instant Adventure - gets boring quick doing same rounds of quests and it's not even for all zones.

meh game

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a damn good game. Circumstances have kept me from being max level yet, but from what I experienced, (in wow terminology if you don't mind) battlegrounds are great, doing dungeons over and over is a bit grindy, but questing in between is both fulfilling and at a reasonable pace, fun content to do, beautiful zones/artwork, player housing is superb with their dimension feature, and the talent choices are a dream come true.

There are also a bunch of fun little things like wardrobe selection, basically an improved transmog service, and a store full of items to have fun with. If you're looking for a class to try out, I'd definitely suggest trying a riftstalker rogue. The movement and teleportation is amazing for leveling, and tanking as a rogue still blows my mind.

Rift brought out the casual/fun loving side of me that I didn't know I had for MMO's.
    Last edited by Cantwingrr; 2013-11-15 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantwingrr View Post
    The movement and teleportation is amazing for leveling, and tanking as a rogue still blows my mind.
    If it's for leveling, try a Nightblade/Riftstalker hybrid with 4 in Tactician to get Curative Engine. Great mobility, incredibly durable, and you put out a nasty amount of damage in melee, and can still do decent damage even if forced to disengage out of melee range(with good kiting potential at that).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantwingrr View Post
    It's a damn good game. Circumstances have kept me from being max level yet, but from what I experienced, (in wow terminology if you don't mind) battlegrounds are great, doing dungeons over and over is a bit grindy, but questing in between is both fulfilling and at a reasonable pace, fun content to do, beautiful zones/artwork, player housing is superb with their dimension feature, and the talent choices are a dream come true.

There are also a bunch of fun little things like wardrobe selection, basically an improved transmog service, and a store full of items to have fun with. If you're looking for a class to try out, I'd definitely suggest trying a riftstalker rogue. The movement and teleportation is amazing for leveling, and tanking as a rogue still blows my mind.

Rift brought out the casual/fun loving side of me that I didn't know I had for MMO's.

Oh yes, let the love flow through you :-D

No but I agree, Rift is a very nice game. Despite having unstable FPS, I love the graphics and pretty much everything else about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templur View Post
    What class/character would you suggest?
    Depends if you like to use swords or shoot fireballs

Ill be trying Rift later this week lets see how it goes.

It's a good game and definitely worth trying if you're even the slightest bit interested. Go into it with an open mind but familiar playstyle and you'll get along just fine.

There are a couple of really huge guilds that are full of people willing to help you learn as you go too.