MM in Siege: anyone else testing the spec in raid?

Morning all. I've been doing some shoddy napkin mathematics the last two weeks and been trying out MM in our normal raids. I'm pulling around 440k on the opener and sustained around 200k (fight dependent) with this gear (the chest is new last night and I haven't tinkered with reforges/enchants yet.

On single target fights I am pulling better numbers than I was with either BM or SV (easily and extra 20k sustained dps) and I am not playing MM well right now. I'm curious to hear from you guys. Anyone else seeing similar numbers/increases?

You are seeing better DPS with MM right now because your xbow is better than a lot of your gear (iLvl). MM is Largely dependent on weapon damage, but not really greatly affected by any other piece of your gear. As soon as you balance out your iLvl you will see SV and BM pull ahead.

That's what I expect to happen from the napkin mathematics. More curious about other peoples experiences.

Zealous is right. MM does really well when you've got a fantastic weapon that's well ahead of most of your gear. Towards BiS though the specs even out quite a bit with MM falling behind just slightly. I know some Hunters (namely Conjor from Duality) have had great success with the spec though.
    Last edited by mistahwilshire; 2013-11-07 at 07:03 PM.

Walajanilu <Defenestrate> #1 marksmanship hunter in the world with a crit>mast>haste reforge

holla

Well, I finished the day at 556 with legendary, crafted belt and Warforged shoulders. MM is still pulling ahead which has really surprised me. Big difference in openers between MM and SV. BM seems pretty close but still behind.

I've been playing Hunter since the start of Cata, know the class very well. Really surprised by MM right now. Yes, I know ranged weapon damage etc., but still, its surprising that MM is doing so much better now than it has been in pre 5.4.

Going to be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks of upgrades!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had a crack last week as I picked up a heroic bow and the rest of my gear is normal SoO or heroic ToT (ilvl 561)

I haven't played MM since WotLK during Ulduar with ArP (skipped Cataclysm) so I am pretty poor with it which probably has a bigger impact on most of the below then anything else. I really just stuck to single target with it, for example on Normal Garosh, I didn't even both with multi for the adds etc. I picked up Haromms during this week, replaced Heroic Rentakis, no other gear changes.

My thoughts, all 10 man:

H Norushen - fight length was almost identical, did 27K less dps as MM, and got in 2 stampedes. On our kill last week I stuffed up and only got 1 stampede out and it wasn't under RF or BL (whoops) so BM would have done even more. My target switching as MM to kill adds was terrible though.

H Sha - We are progressing on this. I did try out MM for the first few pulls, ingored the relfection adds, but did switch to the big add and the one left behind when someone goes pac man, numbers weren't great but not completely terrible, went back to SV where I am a lot more comfortable and did DOT up relfections with a Multi each time, but was doing more dps.

N Sha - Did 50K more as MM then my best BM or SV, ignored relfections, just attacked boss and the big add when it spawned. I did get really luck with gift of the titans though and our kill was 50 seconds quicker then my best SV.

N Malkorok - Did 70K more dps then my best BM or SV, but our fight length was about 40 seconds quicker, I think I also double potted this and I don't think I have done that since our first kill.

My thoughts really mirror what I have been seeing a lot of on the forums. Look I could definitely get better at it (well I could get better at SV and BM too hee hee) on single target (or where you role is single target) it definitely seems comparable. I actually feel if I got better I would beat SV single target right now because of the way my gear is, but there are just so many things to cleave / AOE onto I felt like I was missing out. I will probably keep playing it until I get 4 piece then go back to BM / SV. Depending on where my gear is at, I might use it to progress on H Iron Jugg, otherwise I doubt I will be using it for any other H progression bosses.

Log if you are interested:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/8lxj572tb8njdy8o/

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/wyx0fjqxn1wh35nl/

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/9qkl0kud31w6ung6/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osinin View Post
    I had a crack last week as I picked up a heroic bow and the rest of my gear is normal SoO or heroic ToT (ilvl 561)

I haven't played MM since WotLK during Ulduar with ArP (skipped Cataclysm) so I am pretty poor with it which probably has a bigger impact on most of the below then anything else. I really just stuck to single target with it, for example on Normal Garosh, I didn't even both with multi for the adds etc. I picked up Haromms during this week, replaced Heroic Rentakis, no other gear changes.

My thoughts, all 10 man:

H Norushen - fight length was almost identical, did 27K less dps as MM, and got in 2 stampedes. On our kill last week I stuffed up and only got 1 stampede out and it wasn't under RF or BL (whoops) so BM would have done even more. My target switching as MM to kill adds was terrible though.

H Sha - We are progressing on this. I did try out MM for the first few pulls, ingored the relfection adds, but did switch to the big add and the one left behind when someone goes pac man, numbers weren't great but not completely terrible, went back to SV where I am a lot more comfortable and did DOT up relfections with a Multi each time, but was doing more dps.

N Sha - Did 50K more as MM then my best BM or SV, ignored relfections, just attacked boss and the big add when it spawned. I did get really luck with gift of the titans though and our kill was 50 seconds quicker then my best SV.

N Malkorok - Did 70K more dps then my best BM or SV, but our fight length was about 40 seconds quicker, I think I also double potted this and I don't think I have done that since our first kill.

My thoughts really mirror what I have been seeing a lot of on the forums. Look I could definitely get better at it (well I could get better at SV and BM too hee hee) on single target (or where you role is single target) it definitely seems comparable. I actually feel if I got better I would beat SV single target right now because of the way my gear is, but there are just so many things to cleave / AOE onto I felt like I was missing out. I will probably keep playing it until I get 4 piece then go back to BM / SV. Depending on where my gear is at, I might use it to progress on H Iron Jugg, otherwise I doubt I will be using it for any other H progression bosses.

Log if you are interested:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/8lxj572tb8njdy8o/

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/wyx0fjqxn1wh35nl/

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/9qkl0kud31w6ung6/
    Norushen , Sha, Barrage <- 3 Words just sayin

Deleted
    13/14 N Hunter here running with SV & MM specs (mostly because I just don't enjoy BM). Using MM for Iron Juggernaut, Malkorok, Thok & Klaxxi and occasionally on some other fights.

ilvl 555, managing about 230k dps sustained, bursting up to about 550-600k on the pull. I'm hardcasting Aimed, don't even have arcane on a keybind, not using it. Frequently topping dps against some good & slightly better geared players.

I really enjoy the spec to play, especially as I know I've still got room to improve on my playstyle with it.

The thing I'm worried about though is how much it will be lacking once 4pc T16 bonus comes into effect, the MM one looks underwhelming to put it mildly...

The thing I'm worried about though is how much it will be lacking once 4pc T16 bonus comes into effect, the MM one looks underwhelming to put it mildly...
    Fully agree with this. 4 piece for MM is utter balls compared to SV.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrimjaw View Post
    Norushen , Sha, Barrage <- 3 Words just sayin
    Just looked through the top logs for H10 Norushen and Sha out of curiosity. The clear majority that I checked (top 8 for each spec, both bosses) were using Glaive Toss. I personally much prefer GT on Norushen and it's a toss-up for Sha.
    If your point was that Barrage is clearly better for those fights I think you're wrong. Play what you're comfortable with.

I'm planning to give MM another shot next lockout for farm content. I've seen some nice parses with AS dump and TotH and want to give that a try.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mediic View Post
    Just looked through the top logs for H10 Norushen and Sha out of curiosity. The clear majority that I checked (top 8 for each spec, both bosses) were using Glaive Toss. I personally much prefer GT on Norushen and it's a toss-up for Sha.
    If your point was that Barrage is clearly better for those fights I think you're wrong. Play what you're comfortable with.

I'm planning to give MM another shot next lockout for farm content. I've seen some nice parses with AS dump and TotH and want to give that a try.

well i psersonly like barrage in norushen and sha because you can kil the adds fast. also i play sv there because of multishot on the little adds also hits the amalgam . also think about it Top logs dont need dmg because everyone there is nearly bis equiped this means there is no need for "more dmg" on adds. in guilds like mine where we are at 2 or 3 hc kills you can benefit alot from this

Glaive Toss is 100% better than Barrage for MM. Wildquiver should be near the top if not the top damage as MM if you use Crit>Mastery>Haste (which you should). That being said, Barrage counts as maybe 5 shots regardless of the target for proccing WQ while Glaive counts as a shot per hit of Glaive Toss (2+). For example, during Norushen, most people are saying Barrage is best, and normally it would be for any spec other than MM; there are many spread adds with low HP. However, if you line up Glaive Toss with the main target in the back during the peak add swarms, WQ will most likely proc 10+ times, depending on your mastery, while barrage will only have it procc 3-5 times, IF that.
    This is why i choose Glaive Toss for all fights as MM. Highest singlet target damage, almost no focus cost, no wait time, high WQ procc chance, frequent WQ procc chance as well as more chances to use GT. Give it a try. Test it on a line of target dummies or something. Make a /stopcasting macro with Glaive Toss so you dont shoot an auto shot. Do it for maybe 5 mins, then try out barrage with same tactic. You should see a noticeable difference.

I ran it last week for shits and giggles, probably the most boring week of raiding in SoO I've had. Revamp please.