Profession Advice required.

I'm hoping someone could help, my main is a Hunter with Skinning and Leatherworking, I very 'rarely' go out skinning for things to craft/sell, I'm doing the cooldowns just to learn patterns.

My old main my warrior is my JC/Inscriber who at the present moment has just hit 90 from questing as protection, I can't really get used to the playstyle of the warrior anymore and I'm missing a lot of recipes, I noticed I can bypass the cooldown using Spirits of Harmony but unfortunately these are not BoA. I have over 50 on my hunter essentially being wasted.

Would it make sense for me to drop 'skinning' and pick up Jewelcrafting in order to obtain all of the recipes quicker? I know it's late in the expansion in order to do so.

Switching and using the 50 Spirit of Harmony would get you 16 Secrets of the Stone learnings if you will.

Is leveling JC to learn 16 recipes that you may or may not have worth it? I do not think so. If you are not using the spirits on your hunter, then buy 50 stacks of ore and prospect it. It should take you quite a while to go through all of the gems from prospecting.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Thank you for the reply, I just don't really have any intention on playing the warrior other than a 'Profession Mule' as I spend most of my time on the hunter preparing for raids, doing dailies and grinding achievements and helping the guild.

My thoughts are that if Blizzard are going to continue with the current model of learning recipes by performing daily cooldowns then I'd want to be doing it on the character that I'm online with the most. Especially with the 'cheat system' in place of using BoP items to get around the cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by agli View Post
    Thank you for the reply, I just don't really have any intention on playing the warrior other than a 'Profession Mule' as I spend most of my time on the hunter preparing for raids, doing dailies and grinding achievements and helping the guild.

My thoughts are that if Blizzard are going to continue with the current model of learning recipes by performing daily cooldowns then I'd want to be doing it on the character that I'm online with the most. Especially with the 'cheat system' in place of using BoP items to get around the cooldown.
    Then it sounds like it would be a good change. You will not see a huge benefit for MoP - since we are so late in the expansion, but having a step up for the next expansion.

Do I dare ask whether that will be your main next expansion? Never know what new classes the new expansion might bring.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Deleted
    Don't do it. In the next expansion the current recipes will be worthless. Just keep plugging away at learning recipes. I'd follow either of two strageies. 1 Focus on orange, because thats where most of the profitable cuts are. 2. Just keep getting a free research recipe each day from the cheapest gems. It will give you a random recipe if you have exhausted the colour of the gems. I am getting the feeling JC is declining fast, as is this expansion now. You cna still make money by prospecting, but servers differ. You could always prospect and then get a guild jc to cut gems for a fee.

Leatherworkers with all the designs are rare and as its such a pain to level then id keep it. What you are missing for the next expansion is a gatherer so make one.

You should also acknowledge that you can just buy a lot of green uncut gems from the AH and cut the green equivalent of the gems you want until you get a blue one. So you don't need to learn the blue patterns at all, if it's just for your personal use and even to help friends. In any way, it's usually cheaper to do so than to buy a blue gem and cut it yourself or even buy the gem already cut so... I'd say don't even bother doing it.

I'm the type of person that needs to have 100% recipes which is why I'm not dropping Leatherworking, Skinning I just don't use though :/ for future expansions surely it makes sense to put JC on the character that I'm on all the time?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by agli View Post
    I'm the type of person that needs to have 100% recipes which is why I'm not dropping Leatherworking, Skinning I just don't use though :/ for future expansions surely it makes sense to put JC on the character that I'm on all the time?
    I have a rule which is that I am always capable of framing/ gathering mats myself. This means that when mats are scarce or expensive then I go and get the mats. This is especially so at the beginning of an expansion before the bots are in place. The time for profit in a new expansion is the first 6 weeks.

Another rule of thumb I have is I only retrain a profession as a last resort with the exception of gathering which is cheap and fast. Leave the jc where it is imo.

Dropping skinning for JC is a good choice if you don't care about the passive boost the former gives you, since the lattter is much more flexible