Thread: Resist Gear

Resist Gear

I'd like some insight on this topic because I'm fairly ignorant about it. Back in vanilla and tbc you were "required" to wear resist gear on certain bosses, but was that really the case? If these bosses were attempted by todays raiders; with their experience, skill and knowledge of theorycrafting could they just power through the bosses without needing resist gear?

the game was different back then and no i dont believe it would be possible to plow through it with better players because the options players had to improve was not as great as now because rotations was rather dull. i remember mages rotation on ragnaros was frostbolt>frostbolt>frostbolt>dead boss and it was similar to that for many classes.

And i dont believe ppl wanted resist gear so they could stand in the fire^^

The resist gear was definitely required for fights like Onyxia, Ragnaros, and really a lot of them in MC IIRC. Survival was much more important back then because I guess healers has worse toolkits. I remember using bandages too. Everyone had to have first aid and bandage on cooldown. Maybe my raid group just had bad healers lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember you needed some shadow resist for Mother Shraz and Khazgaroth in hyjal, or was it Azgalor? I dont remember. shit was lame, thank god its gone.
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

Deleted
    It's been a while, but my recollection is that it wasn't a binary thing. You probably needed an amount of resist gear to get your first kills, but as you geared up (especially the healers) you would find that you could get away with less. I seem to also remember some clever theorycrafting being published that made it a lot clearer where the resistance breakpoints were which led to people min-maxing which slots to sacrifice to resist gear and which to keep as dps gear. Was it Mother Sharaz in Black Temple which was supposed to be the shadow resistance gear gate boss, but that Nihilum brute forced through without?

10+ Year Old Account
    It was a different game back then, for sure. A lot slower actually, as I recall. I think a fight like Heroic Siegecrafter Blackfuse would have blown people's minds in Vanilla.

Farming motes to gear up the tanks for hydross, unforgettable experience.

I would love to see the Illidan adds be "bruce forced" without your tanks in full fire resist. And I'm going to have to call BS on Nihilum Brute forcing Mother Shaz. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to smash my face against that wall for weeks and kill it pre-nerf and even in full shadow resist you would die VERY fast when you were all teleported on top of each other. I have to imagine without shadow resist you would simply die instantly. (Especially if teleported to that lovely little corner where everyone had no choice but to run together)

Add to that the shadow resist was easily farmable, so there would be no reason not to have it aside from needing dps to beat a certain enrage which I don't remember being the main issue if you could just keep everyone alive for the full 10 minutes. Many players did try to find a perfect balance of how much SR they could drop while barely being able to survive. I personally made my entire T5 set into my shadow gear .

Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    I'd like some insight on this topic because I'm fairly ignorant about it. Back in vanilla and tbc you were "required" to wear resist gear on certain bosses, but was that really the case? If these bosses were attempted by todays raiders; with their experience, skill and knowledge of theorycrafting could they just power through the bosses without needing resist gear?
    Vanilla

Fire Resist for Rag tanks
    Half the raid for Huhuran (nature, easy to farm)
    2-3 items of frost resist for Sapphiron (easy to craft)

TBC

Nature/Frost for Hydross tanks (extremely gay to get)
    Shadow for Mother S (not hard to craft)
    A bit of Fire res for tanks on illidan

People tend to grossly overstate resist farming. It only sucked as a tank.

Deleted
    Also - remember that early raids were much more like the Everquest raids they were derived from ... based on large amounts of unavoidable raid wide damage, and far less of the focus on avoidable damage via complicated mechanics or active mitigation / personal CD's you see now.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    In general, it's been exaggerated a bit. Tanks definitely needed resistance for certain fights. A lot of guilds tried to gear up all or most of the raid with resistance too, but really for most fights it wasn't actually needed.