Optimal gemming for combat/sub.

Combat is my main spec but I recently picked up a couple of daggers (Nazgrim decided to drop 3 last week at the same time so both our raids combat rogues got off spec daggers lol) and was thinking about switching up to sub for various single target fights like iron juggernaut.

I know that for sub going a more agi heavy build is ideal and for combat agi works single target but haste is stronger and then with blade flurry up haste wins by a land slide.

So, is it worth going sub with a haste set up for combat? Or do you have to have an agi build to better be able to swap back and forth?

It's VERY viable to have a Combat spec w/ Agility gemming, even with Blade Flurry active. It's what I usually run. (ex. this log of me from last night)

The better one to swap back-and-forth with is the Haste build because you do a wider variety of fights with the Combat spec than with the Subtlety spec.
    However, in practice, I think the Agility spec is the better option. In a way that's similar to the Assassination Haste-vs-Mastery argument from 5.3, the thing with Haste-gemming for Combat is that the DPS value is only true if you have as-close-to 100% uptime as possible on targets. In reality, this is not usually the case for these fights (ex. Dark Shaman, Galakras, Fallen Protectors). An Agility build will maximize your abilities' damage, while the Haste build will let you get more hits in.

In conclusion, it's really your choice here; do you want to punish your Subtlety's single-target DPS by doing Haste gemming, or do you want to mildly punish your Combat's output because you'll get fewer abilities.

Also, if you have a Heroic AoC, definitely go Agility gems since you'll be getting AR/SB about once each minute anyways. The spec flows much better and has a harder time capping on energy during AR/SB with an Agility gem build as well.
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

honestly, i don't see a point in going subtlety unless your doing it for fun.

single target dps are nearly identical (with combat pulling slightly ahead IMO and according to logs)

Deleted
    I am maining sub and play combat for some fights and i dont have any dps problem when i switch combat with the haste>crit>mastery build and agi gemming

I am also playing with a slow OH on sub and switching the slow OH in the MH when playing combat.

Some logs :
    Single target sub : worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-7v04x1vnw3w2ub9x/sum/damageDone/?s=7155&e=7671

Cleave combat : worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-7v04x1vnw3w2ub9x/sum/damageDone/?s=8981&e=9465

(I cant post links so i had to cut the links)
    Last edited by mmoc0cc9526001; 2013-11-14 at 05:54 PM.