Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Question about Hierloom gear

Peeps,

Just a quick question. I have full Ret BoA gear on an alt I am levelling. If I want to carry on levelling as Prot instead, should I use my Ret gear and just get a shield/1h sword (have got those two pieces already) and, essentially, tank in ret gear like you do at level 90. Or should I go farm up the JP and get proper Prot BoA gear instead?

I haven't levelled an alt in ages so I don't really know this answer.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrevenge View Post
    Peeps,

Just a quick question. I have full Ret BoA gear on an alt I am levelling. If I want to carry on levelling as Prot instead, should I use my Ret gear and just get a shield/1h sword (have got those two pieces already) and, essentially, tank in ret gear like you do at level 90. Or should I go farm up the JP and get proper Prot BoA gear instead?

I haven't levelled an alt in ages so I don't really know this answer.

Thanks in advance!
    Seeing as you could probably tank low level dungeons in Ret spec you should be fine in Prot with Ret gear.

It really doesn't matter. Just get a feel for what your healer is comfy with and adjust your pulls accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Livendula View Post
    Seeing as you could probably tank low level dungeons in Ret spec you should be fine in Prot with Ret gear.
    this^. If the looms have str and stam - ur golden. other stats dont much matter till 86+
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cool, think I will go Ret gear tanking. Be great if someone who is actually doing this can chime in with their opinion!

Since you have Sanctity of Battle as Prot well before Level 90, there's no reason Haste wouldn't be a good stat while leveling either. That and leveling dungeons are easy to tank anyway even in a lot of improper gear.

people tanked in plate dps heirlooms for quite a while before the tank heirlooms were even introduced. people continue to tank in the dps heirlooms today. there's nothing wrong with it while leveling. of course the extra tank stats do help a bit, but its not too big of a difference. if you decide to tank in dps heirlooms, you and your healers will be absolutely fine. i'm somewhat of a perfectionist though and like to have "correct" heirlooms for the roles i play lol.

Deleted
    IIRC, the tank stats on heirlooms are mainly avoidance, while the dps stat is mainly crit. I have both but I'd say it's a wash - and tbh, probably prefer crit (damage is low while levelling and I like doing more dps than the rest of the party combined).

Ideally it is worth getting the BOA shield and a one hand if you don't have them. But leveling is so fast, it may not be time efficient. (I find converting honour to JPs can be a way of getting JPs fast).

One small tip: take off the L1-85 heirlooms at L80 as the scaling is horrible at that level alone. You can put them back on at 81. Also Cata dungeons have an ilevel requirement and heirlooms count as L1 or some such, so keep non-heirloom versions of slots in your bag so you can queue.

And keep an eye out for MoP or Cata gear with low level requirements - some MoP blues can be insanely OP at lower levels.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    IIRC, the tank stats on heirlooms are mainly avoidance, while the dps stat is mainly crit. I have both but I'd say it's a wash - and tbh, probably prefer crit (damage is low while levelling and I like doing more dps than the rest of the party combined).

Ideally it is worth getting the BOA shield and a one hand if you don't have them. But leveling is so fast, it may not be time efficient. (I find converting honour to JPs can be a way of getting JPs fast).

One small tip: take off the L1-85 heirlooms at L80 as the scaling is horrible at that level alone. You can put them back on at 81. Also Cata dungeons have an ilevel requirement and heirlooms count as L1 or some such, so keep non-heirloom versions of slots in your bag so you can queue.

And keep an eye out for MoP or Cata gear with low level requirements - some MoP blues can be insanely OP at lower levels.
    Cool, I already have the shield and sword so that's sorted. Also have a whole load of L80 MoP blues (i409) - would rather have some insane DPS and destroy dungeons and stuff as ret by that point!