System freezes for a brief moment.

So my computer has recently been having these random mini freeze habits about once or twice a day. Seems to have come with windows 8.1.
    I think it may be coming from one of my storage drives or possibly both. When it happens, I hear one of the storage drives or maybe even both spin a little loudly then calm back down after the freeze. Possible dying hard drive? It seems to happen only when the drive(s) have been idle for a long period of time. I'm also wondering if it's some sort of power settings with windows 8.1 trying to conserve energy. I've adjusted "Turn off Hard Disk" power option to 0 minutes. Hopefully that disables it and fixes the problem.

Even though I could be accessing data that isn't located on either of the storage drives, it seems like some actions will (like opening a program located on the SSD, or opening the Metro UI) pull them out of their idle state for a brief moment. I don't have any system files installed to either of them, so it has me sort of confused as to why it would cause the entire system to hangup for a brief moment (4 seconds) and then continue on perfectly fine.

SSD 128GB - Windows 8.1 install
    HDD 500GB - Storage Drive 1
    HDD 700GB - Storage Drive 2
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-11-08 at 05:58 AM.

Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings (for your selected power plan) -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> + Hard Disk -> + Turn off hard disk after -> change to whatever extended time you want (default should be 20 minutes or so). It is possible you could have a failing drive, however I ran into similar issues with Seagate's 3TB drive (I don't remember the exact model) there was actually a drive firmware update that corrected the issue, so that may also be worth looking into.

I've been using my computer for the day and so far it seems that adjusting the power settings for the hard drives worked. No temporary hang-ups.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    I've been using my computer for the day and so far it seems that adjusting the power settings for the hard drives worked. No temporary hang-ups.
    Yeah, the first thing I do when I get a new computer is go into the power settings and set it for performance and never to shut off the system. Only thing I have set to power down after 30 mins of no activity is the monitor.