Losing Weight a Second Time.

About 2 years ago I lost around 60 pounds, and felt amazing. Unfortunately since I felt so good about myself, when people told me "Oh, you lost weight.. you're fine to eat whatever you want." I listened to them, and allowed myself to gain most if not all that weight back in a couple of years. Lately I've been doing more intense cardio workouts than I did when I previously lost the weight, and I'm not seeing much results. I'm wondering if losing weight a second time is just a lot harder than the first? And would you have any recommendations?

A few details on what I've been doing. I'm doing hour long high intensity cardio workouts (IE. Kickboxing) and I'm trying to eat around 1800 calories a day. When I looked up the amount I burn during these classes at my current weight it says it's around 888, so I've been trying to compliment that more by eating more calories. (Originally I ate 1200-1400 when I lost weight the first time)

I'm also taking Zoloft, which I heard can either promote weight loss or make you gain weight. I've cut back my dose in hopes that was my biggest problem.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2013-11-08 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    About 2 years ago I lost around 60 pounds, and felt amazing. Unfortunately since I felt so good about myself, when people told me "Oh, you lost weight.. you're fine to eat whatever you want." I listened to them, and allowed myself to gain most if not all that weight back in a couple of years. Lately I've been doing more intense cardio workouts than I did when I previously lost the weight, and I'm not seeing much results. I'm wondering if losing weight a second time is just a lot harder than the first? And would you have any recommendations?

A few details on what I've been doing. I'm doing hour long high intensity cardio workouts (IE. Kickboxing) and I'm trying to eat around 1800 calories a day. When I looked up the amount I burn during these classes at my current weight it says it's around 888, so I've been trying to compliment that more by eating more calories. (Originally I ate 1200-1400 when I lost weight the first time)

I'm also taking Zoloft, which I heard can either promote weight loss or make you gain weight. I've cut back my dose in hopes that was my biggest problem.
    No reason I can think of that it should be harder. Your metabolism does tend to slow with age but two years shouldn't make a noticeable difference at all.

I suspect you must've screwed your basal metabolic rate somehow. A metabolic reboot sounds like it might be in order. Increase your daily caloric intake to where your body would be in a caloric equilibrium, without factoring in the cardio you're doing (so yes, you'd still be in a deficit, but this deficit would only be from the additional activity you're doing), maintain that for a week or two, and then gradually reduce that by 100-150 kcals per week. That always worked for me when my cuts would stall suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    No reason I can think of that it should be harder. Your metabolism does tend to slow with age but two years shouldn't make a noticeable difference at all.

I suspect you must've screwed your basal metabolic rate somehow. A metabolic reboot sounds like it might be in order. Increase your daily caloric intake to where your body would be in a caloric equilibrium, without factoring in the cardio you're doing (so yes, you'd still be in a deficit, but this deficit would only be from the additional activity you're doing), maintain that for a week or two, and then gradually reduce that by 100-150 kcals per week. That always worked for me when my cuts would stall suddenly.
    Thanks, I think I'll give that a try.

Deleted
    I would highly recommend that your drop any long intensity cardio training while being in a caloric deficit for a prolonged amount of time. There is a potential for metabolic damage doing so.

What i would recommend is figuring out your Daily Energy Expenditure without cardio, calculate it online and take a few days off cardio and figure your exact number by figuring the amount you need untill your weight doesn't change. When you have your DEE, add High Intensity Interval Training 3-5 times a week and drop your calories by 100-200, the rest of the deficit comes from HIIT. HIIT has the highest fat burning potential due to the high caloric 'afterburn' effect, also it doesn't take much more than 10 minutes, it also increase muscle protein synthesis and can positively affect testoterone levels which further can help with your fat loss.

Deleted
    Working out is just a supplement to weight loss. You know how they say diet is 80% working out is 20%...that's partly true but it's more like diet is 95%. Seriously, it may sound strange and go against everything that the government and education has taught you but it works.

So you're working out? Great, that's the small but mildly important bit out of the way. What's your diet like? Let me guess, something a long the lines of lots of fruit, lots of starchy foods like pasta and rice? Few spoons of sugar a day in your coffee? Maybe a can of full sugar soda here and there? Maybe some people know where I am going with this but a lot of people are still oblivious because of what they were taught at school or due to politics.

Want to eat well and enjoy your food to lose weight? Up your saturated fats, cook everything with butter and smother everything in cheese. Eat more animal meats with all the trimmings and cut down the amount of net carbs (includes fibers) to less than 50grams a day. Bacon, eggs, cheese, butter, meats these will be your friends from now on. Don't eat pasta, don't eat rice, don't eat bread, don't eat fruit and stay away from anything sugar. You also don't need to watch your calories so much when you eat a diet like this, the way your body deals with these types of food produce is totally different to how your metabolises carbs. Your body will take a few days to adapt to this kind of diet and it may make you feel a little under the weather when you first start. You will shed fat like a mofo on this diet, I am currently on it even though I'm not fat mainly due to my self re-education on nutrition and I feel fucking amazing.

Obviously I can't do this diet justice in a couple of paragraphs. If you like the idea of eating all of these amazing tasty foods, head over to:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes (this is a great place to demonstrate the kind of stuff you will get used to eating)

Or, you could of course continue to ride along on the fallacy that calories out > calories will lose you weight. Sure, it does work but not how people seem to think. Calories restrictions are not healthy and there is only so much work one can do in the gym.

P.S One of my personal fav things to eat is slow cooked pulled pork thrown into a pan with shit loads of butter and add some low carb sauce. Gets nice and crispy and the tastes amazing. Sounds nice doesn't it?

Deleted
    Are you lifting at all? Yeah I know gym bro he he. But you should lift to get more muscle wich increases metabolism etc etc etc etc. Try lifting (a compound based powerlifting routine) + High intensity interval training (max 15 min)... 0 alcohol. And in 3 months you will be amazed at the result.

I don´t do bulk/cut at all. I keep a lean diet all year around and always train strength/function over looks. Gives best results imo, and it´s nok like I live on selleri, my main food intake is homemade grilled pulled pork.

That is plenty to lose weight, no reason to make it complicated. Do your lift and hiit. Job done
    Last edited by mmoc3eb006e951; 2013-11-18 at 10:20 PM.