Current state of Ret Paladins

Just dinged my paladin, and unsure if its worth it to roll ret. I do enjoy ret, I play it very good. But I do not enjoy low numbers and working hard for no gains. Ive heard and seen some different things. Some say we are really good, some say we are bad. but most people say we are average.

and as a side question, how are Holy Paldins doing? It is my second choice, but if its any good, im more than willing to roll it

My goal for my paladin is casual raiding, but I still enjoy to be able to push large numbers

TL;DR: Are Ret Paladins viable atm? And same question for Holy? (PvE)
    Last edited by warex00; 2013-11-08 at 05:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pve or Pvp?

Ret paladins are decent in PvE right now - not the best, but they can pull their weight. The problem with PvE is securing a melee spot period.
    In PvP, Ret pairs up nicely with several comps right now, and is going strong. Maybe not T1 contender, but no issues up to and past 2k. They're great utility anchors in RBGs as well.

Holy PvE is in a weird state right now. We got crapped on pretty hard this patch, but we're still doing well in 10M raiding content. 25 man is doable, but with significant playstyle changes.
    PvP for Holy has been difficult this expansion compared to other classes, due to us having a cast time on most of our spells. Certainly not bad, but it takes some pretty dedicated peels to keep you going.

Either are fine for either side, if you prefer to DPS, Ret shouldn't disappoint.

they are decent in PVE, they suck in PVP, but mechanic-wise, its the best that happened to paladins since vanilla.
    I hope that describes you how neck-deep they were for the past 8 years.

Rets not a viable spec. Noone plays it. Disc priests do more smite dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Rets not a viable spec. Noone plays it. Disc priests do more smite dps.
    lol nice sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

in pvp they are to weak against good enemys...and it doesnt help that our burst is so easy avoidable

Quote Originally Posted by Bsod View Post
    in pvp they are to weak against good enemys...and it doesnt help that our burst is so easy avoidable
    PvE - you will sing the melee blues.
    PvP - you will sing the hybrid blues.

Mediocrity all around, as per... always. That being said, there is plenty of fun to be had playing an underdog spec, and if the general Ret archetype fits your personality, that can be fun too.

Appreciate the answers, but still abit curious about holy. How are they compared priests? What do they "co-heal" best with?

What blues in PVE. Ret so stronk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    What blues in PVE. Ret so stronk
    i is ret, i is very very stronk!

I just hope with Tigole and Furor returning we don't see Paladins hosed and screwed up the butt. The Vanilla era of being a auto-attack only class was pretty unforgivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacryma View Post
    I just hope with Tigole and Furor returning we don't see Paladins hosed and screwed up the butt. The Vanilla era of being a auto-attack only class was pretty unforgivable.
    Given that all of our level 100 talents are basically passives (except Seal of Really Really Insightful Insights that will get nerfed into oblivion if it actually keeps you alive in PvP) it is a pretty good indication that that's exactly where we are headed... also Ret never became anything more than what it was in vanilla: a strategically castrated spec that basically does some damage and some healing... and has no real tools beyond that, other than ones that delay the inevitable.
    Last edited by Tangra; 2013-11-10 at 05:16 AM.