Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Warcraft movie] release date conflict with Star Wars?

I just got a sudden doom feeling after seeing the Star Wars episode 7 release date set for December 2015, the exact same month and year that the 'Warcraft' movie is going to be released. I'm really afraid that the release dates being so close is going to negatively effect the film's hype, because of course everyone will be focused on Star Wars and could drown out Warcraft.

I am positive that this Warcraft movie will be a hit, seeing how popular WoW is, and the fact that it could attract so many more people just because of how amazing the warcraft story is. But now that it is basically squaring off with Star Wars, i'm not so sure that it will get the attention it deserves.

What do you guys think, will it make a difference? Or do you not think Warcraft had much of a chance anyway and is just a "niche" movie. I really have high hopes for this movie, and i don't want it to be hindered just because of the time of release.
    http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-e...r-18-2015.html (Star wars and Warcraft are coming out ON THE EXACT SAME DAY)
    Last edited by ghostnet; 2013-11-08 at 02:35 AM.
    "Far left is communism, far right is Anarchy, be aware that you do not stray to far either way”
    "If we are confronted with differences in opinion, the chemicals that are released in the brain are the same ones that try to ensure our survival in dangerous situations."

10+ Year Old Account
    People will see both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bad news =/ Hopefully they push it back till summer and polish it into a jewel.

Deleted
    i personally never thought the warcraft movie would have much hype behind it in any scenario, and this just makes it 10x worse

The fact that you believe Blizzard is setting a realistic release date for a product is the best part about this :P

It's a long way off, movie people know when to shuffle release dates, look at the next Hunger Games, it's coming out against a Vince Vaughn comedy and that is it.

WoW movie will not compete head to head with Star Wars taht is just blockbuster suicide.

They haven't even finalized casting yet. No way it makes 2015.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    The fact that you believe Blizzard is setting a realistic release date for a product is the best part about this :P
    Haha true, let's hope they resort to classic blizzard then!
    "Far left is communism, far right is Anarchy, be aware that you do not stray to far either way”
    "If we are confronted with differences in opinion, the chemicals that are released in the brain are the same ones that try to ensure our survival in dangerous situations."

10+ Year Old Account

Legendary Pictures announced the date not Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Masser View Post
    Legendary Pictures announced the date not Blizzard.
    So Blizzard is not involved with writing or artwork or anything? I find it hard to believe they'd let someone else take the reins entirely and thus I believe Blizzard will slow down the process to get to their level of quality, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrllish View Post
    They haven't even finalized casting yet. No way it makes 2015.
    Yep I bet they have not even started principal photography which usually takes about 3-5 months. I hope they don't just use all the same places from Game of Thrones. Ireland and New Zealand should be a no-go, maybe they can use Canada or Scotland, lots of climate fun there.

10+ Year Old Account
    So Blizzard is not involved with writing or artwork or anything? I find it hard to believe they'd let someone else take the reins entirely and thus I believe Blizzard will slow down the process to get to their level of quality, etc.
    Chris Metzen is co-producing, that's all i know

I'm sure both timelines will blow out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who wants to see a warcraft movie at christmas time? Hold it til Feb is my guess.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    If they planned for a December release they must have realised before hand that they'd be up against some kind of blockbuster. There are always huge crowd pleasing movies in November/December that try to get the Holiday crowd. I'm sure that they knew what they were setting themselves up for by choosing that time frame, so I'm sure they are confident that they can do well in that time frame.

Not saying they are right about thinking that, but they didn't decide on a target release date without clear deliberation.

WoW has a release date of Dec, 18 2015. Star Wars has no official release date yet, looking at its previous releases, it would be quite odd to release it in December and not sometime in April/May/June or July

It will cause a Star Wars vs LoTRs battle between everyone, which will in turn cause everyone to see the Warcraft movie.

I think it makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzlee View Post
    i personally never thought the warcraft movie would have much hype behind it in any scenario, and this just makes it 10x worse
    Yeah, I don't really see the warcraft movie being successful regardless. Hell, if it was the only movie released all year I don't think it would do well.

It's important to remember that yes, WoW has a lot of subs, say 10 million people are interested in WoW still. Then realize how many people only play because the game is fun, and don't care about the story or characters. Probably 60%. Now you're down to 4 million people, then figure how many of those people would even be remotely interested in watching a 2 hour movie about a video game. Probably half at best. You're down to 2 million people.

This type of movie isn't going to bring new people into the franchise most likely, who's going to see a movie poster for World of Warcraft and think "Oh man, I need to see that" without having any knowledge of what World of Warcraft is? Probably nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    WoW has a release date of Dec, 18 2015. Star Wars has no official release date yet, looking at its previous releases, it would be quite odd to release it in December and not sometime in April/May/June or July
    http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-e...r-18-2015.html - Star Wars is set to open the 12/18/15 as well.

Isn't there usually a few big blockbuster name movies released in December that all do quite well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-e...r-18-2015.html

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    After the Backlash a lot of people had with the Phantom Menace Trilogy and it now being done by Disney. I do not foresee as MUCH "hype" for future Star Wars movies as there was say 10-15 years ago.

That being said Many good movies come out around the same times these days and someone being hyped for one does not mean they can't be hyped for another.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Yeah, I don't really see the warcraft movie being successful regardless. Hell, if it was the only movie released all year I don't think it would do well.

It's important to remember that yes, WoW has a lot of subs, say 10 million people are interested in WoW still. Then realize how many people only play because the game is fun, and don't care about the story or characters. Probably 60%. Now you're down to 4 million people, then figure how many of those people would even be remotely interested in watching a 2 hour movie about a video game. Probably half at best. You're down to 2 million people.

This type of movie isn't going to bring new people into the franchise most likely, who's going to see a movie poster for World of Warcraft and think "Oh man, I need to see that" without having any knowledge of what World of Warcraft is? Probably nobody.

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-e...r-18-2015.html - Star Wars is set to open the 12/18/15 as well.

yeah even though I have played since vanilla I still would not see it in the theatre. WoW is a home experience so I'll definitely watch the movie on a nice speaker system @ home. Plus pausing to pee is #1!