Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Item De-squishing Addon Possible?

Hey, so first off sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I coulden't decide if this should go in interface or not given it's half about the item squish and half about addons, and the idea (to the best of my knowlegde) does not exist yet, so you can't really discuss it as interface.

A lot of people (myself included) are a bit worried about the item squish. But, considering that it's going to keep everything the exact same % wise, is there anyway that could be possible to un-squish it using some sort of addon? I know that addons exist that modify both target frames and damage pop-ups. Does code exist that can modify these numbers user-side in appearence only?

Example, say raging blow does 240,000 damage now and might do like 2600 after the squish. Could a script be made that would multiply the damage displayed when you hit the enemy? Something to multiply the damage displayed by 92.3 times (in this example. Obviously, you'd still only be dealing 2600 damage). Or, probably with more diffilculty, something to also multiply the displayed HP of everything by that 92% or whatever everything gets squished by.

And is there something about the squish that I'm missing that would prevent such a code from working if it existed? I know that it's only the Ilevel of early raids being squished, so maybe this actually would not work (it might not be an issue of finding a flat % that you could then modify stuff by).

Seems like if someone could come up with the code, they'd make a lot of people happy and I could see it catching on.

Mod Edit: Tone down the hostility. The OP asked a question; attacks are not warranted here.
    Last edited by Simca; 2013-11-10 at 09:02 PM.

So you're accepting the notion that the squish won't affect the game, won't alter how the game plays and it will feel the same as it does now, but you just really really need to see 6 figure numbers floating on the screen that badly?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible for an addon to multiply numbers and show you a fake number on your screen if you really wanted it to, but I don't see why someone would make said addon.

10+ Year Old Account
    It may not be possible if the code thing is true. Unsquishing the numbers may break the game? idk.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's an addon that put a form of this squish into the game. Should be easy enough to retool it for an anti-squish.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Here. Don't worry about something that doesn't need worrying about. There are a few ppl out there that don't want the item squish, but there are even less that are going to need to have an addon because they're so worried about not seeing big numbers.

....seriously.....I have no words for this.. I just don't.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

Don't believe so, otherwise warcraftmovies would be nothing but crit videos. Maybe someone with more experience modding SCT or Parrot can comment.

I believ what you're trying to do would directly tamper with information between server and client whcih would probably end up in a ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    There's an addon that put a form of this squish into the game. Should be easy enough to retool it for an anti-squish.
    Are you talking about the mega damage addon?

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    So you're accepting the notion that the squish won't affect the game, won't alter how the game plays and it will feel the same as it does now, but you just really really need to see 6 figure numbers floating on the screen that badly?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible for an addon to multiply numbers and show you a fake number on your screen if you really wanted it to, but I don't see why someone would make said addon.
    Feel the same? Suddenly doing at a fraction of the damage I used to do, doesn't really feel the same to me. It feels like "been there, done that".

I actually really like the big numbers, so on some level I will miss seeing those huge numbers once they are gone. I've thought about an addon like this but one of the first things to come to mind is; when talking to other players, guild members, etc...How will you compare what you are doing/can do to what they are? When you tell them you're doing 200k dps and they're doing 196k...but on their screen it's vastly different? Well, communication problems ahoy.

The next thing is just that, well, much as I love big numbers I know it won't take long to adapt to the change because it's all relative. An 800k execute is fantastic now, when it finishes off a mob that has 4 million hp. But it'll still be fantastic when it's closer to 10k and the mob has 80-100k health or some such. The big numbers are relative and once I get used to mob health, I'll get used to my numbers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just cancel your acc, that will solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post

I'm really not saying that it affects the game, I'm just saying that a lot of people liked the feel of expansion packs after BC more, and it looks like we're probably going back to BC-ish numbers (similar at least, if the slide from blizzcon wasn't a pure mock-up.). Obviously I'm not the only one who would rather see larger numbers or the item squish wouldn't have ever been contraversial in the first place. I'm just wondering if it's possible and what people know.

I'd really prefer if possible to avoid having this thread become one of these arguments though. There's already a few of those going on elsewhere, that wasn't what I'm trying to talk about.

And that's really interesting, Slowpoke. If that exists it probably is possible. Do you know the name of that addon?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Feel the same? Suddenly doing at a fraction of the damage I used to do, doesn't really feel the same to me. It feels like "been there, done that".
    You're not doing a fraction of the damage you used to. Numbers are used to show you something. It isn't actual power. Like they said, if it takes you 5 seconds to kill a gulp frog now, it'll take you 5 seconds to kill Gulp frog after squish. I think it's more about winning the argument than anything. People just want the satisfaction of winning the argument. Doesn't matter how stupid it would get for the game.

It could be done in most places. There's a few (like the damage numbers over enemies) that are protected that we can't access via addons. If you'd really want to is another thing. Since your numbers would no longer be comparable to other players it'd make it hard to communicate effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by zadck View Post
    I'm really not saying that it affects the game, I'm just saying that a lot of people liked the feel of expansion packs after BC more, and it looks like we're probably going back to BC-ish numbers (similar at least, if the slide from blizzcon wasn't a pure mock-up.). Obviously I'm not the only one who would rather see larger numbers or the item squish wouldn't have ever been contraversial in the first place. I'm just wondering if it's possible and what people know.

I'd really prefer if possible to avoid having this thread become one of these arguments though. There's already a few of those going on elsewhere, that wasn't what I'm trying to talk about.

And that's really interesting, Slowpoke. If that exists it probably is possible. Do you know the name of that addon?
    http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/mega-damage

All it did was put "MEGA DAMAGE" on the screen if you crit. Say you crit for 400k it would say "you Crit for 400 MEGA DAMAGE" and played a guitar solo.

Op dude, don't sweat it.
    When i ran the playable dungeon on the test floor friday morning, the squish was in place.
    It took about half a second to realize that, because and damage feel EXACTLY the same as they do on live right now.
    The fives of us could not feel a difference besides the numbers being smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    You're not doing a fraction of the damage you used to. Numbers are used to show you something. It isn't actual power. Like they said, if it takes you 5 seconds to kill a gulp frog now, it'll take you 5 seconds to kill Gulp frog after squish. I think it's more about winning the argument than anything. People just want the satisfaction of winning the argument. Doesn't matter how stupid it would get for the game.
    It's just a matter of the feeling. I've been playing WoW since vanilla, and one of the more visible things I FELT change every x-pack was the numbers. Probably my favorite x-pack number-wise was Cata. I think all Black Pearl is talking about is the feeling of it, not thinking we're actually doing less damage (we're not, save for the occasional rounded up/down 1 point depending on how bliz does the squish, and we already round damage values up and down).

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateSmiley View Post
    Op dude, don't sweat it.
    When i ran the playable dungeon on the test floor friday morning, the squish was in place.
    It took about half a second to realize that, because and damage feel EXACTLY the same as they do on live right now.
    The fives of us could not feel a difference besides the numbers being smaller.
    That's good news to hear. How much damage we're you actually doing though, out of curiosity? I can't find any reliable information on how big the actual squish is. There's too many people freaking out about it to find useful info easily, lol.
    Last edited by zadck; 2013-11-10 at 08:29 PM.

Deleted
    When people whine about the squish, you told them to get some addons that would help them see the imaginary numbers.

Now if they ask for precisely that, you ridicule them once again. Dont fight two-way whiners by being two-way cunts.

15+ Year Old Account
    The butthurt is great with the OP
    After few weeks u and every QQer will stop complaining since u will be QQing over something else that havnt been implemented yet
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s