Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Got this from Serial Experiments Lain, and for those who don't know what that is, it's one of those anime that are actually sophisticated enough to be discussed in college itself. One of the topics I notice that are symbolized is how most of the world's population is so dependent on internet and cable television to relieve the tedium of life, and for a great deal of people, this technology is technically their life, and without it, they would become a blank shell. If one day, internet and cable television suddenly ceased to exist, the question is, what would happen to these people? And on the second important note, if this happened, do you believe you can survive? It's not about actually dying in most cases, but the effects it would have on you as a person, and how much it would take away from you before you become "blank", "dead", or exhausted from a reality without these things.
    Myself.. my career wishes would probably be inherently over if the internet was gone. There really would be not much of an alternative if it wasn't there, I'd just being doing stuff for hobby for myself with no one else to share it with and certainly no local jobs in it that exist at a physical place.

I would be ok without the TV, I don't watch all that much of it, but the internet.. that would be a loss of a lot, including some old friends.

Did you know that whenever there is a lengthy power cut, 9 months later there is a baby boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    It would drop dead the instant that i couldn't read your Threads anymore.
    Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

It would definitely be a huge change, but as everyone would be going through it and not just me, I think I'd end up being alright.

10+ Year Old Account
    I grew up without the internet, there was a T.V, but funny thing is it never interested me until I got older, no big deal to me at all.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be out of a job. What i want to do / interviewed for requires the internet

Deleted
    Last time I watched TV was probably over 5 years ago. I watch my shows and movies from my computer so wouldnt care about that at all.

Internet is a bit trickier. I guess I could survive as I could still buy games and everything from stores. If electricity would disappear on the other hand.. but then again I like challenges

This isn't just about silly Internet addiction, this is about how much the world is integrated with the Internet these days. So not being able to deal without the Internet doesn't mean you're a failure, it just means you've become a part of progress. The Internet is more than just Youtube vids; people work there, school there, communicate there. It'd be like asking people who live in highway cities like LA if they could live without their cars, or asking people who work on oil rigs if they could live without helicopters/boats.

Got this from Serial Experiments Lain, and for those who don't know what that is, it's one of those anime that are actually sophisticated enough to be discussed in college itself. One of the topics I notice that are symbolized is how most of the world's population is so dependent on internet and cable television to relieve the tedium of life, and for a great deal of people, this technology is technically their life, and without it, they would become a blank shell. If one day, internet and cable television suddenly ceased to exist, the question is, what would happen to these people? And on the second important note, if this happened, do you believe you can survive? It's not about actually dying in most cases, but the effects it would have on you as a person, and how much it would take away from you before you become "blank", "dead", or exhausted from a reality without these things.
    people wouldnt become a blank shell, they would adapt and de-vice from it, would take a bit but it would be fine.
    The mind adapts to its environment, people use the internet and television for entertainment because its what our environments are more filled with and it provides more stimulae, take them away and people would go back to socialize, read books, creative arts, playing sports and so forth. (so in a sense, an evolution instead of a regression tbh? :P)

We are not dependent on them, simply its an easier alternative to most, i still do most of my old activities even if i do spent more time on the computer (dont watch tv, it sucks )
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2013-11-09 at 11:33 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Internet ... well yeah kind off. But television? nope. I don't really watch tv at all. No series , films etc.
    Druid since Feb. 06

10+ Year Old Account
    Count me as another one of the "remembers before" crowd. I remember when we could not even afford a TV. Then "before cable" when we only got one channel anywhere near clearly. I simply did "other things" like library, radio, etc... Now I imagine for the kids who have never known what is like without? I imagine there would be a stressful weening off period, but nothing they couldn't handle.

Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

I would welcome it. The cons outweigh the pros in my opinion.

No, but I hope yours does.

Because a lot of the people posting in this thread are just flexing as internet tough guys, but don't really realize what a world without internet would be like if it was stripped from us right now, because face it, reality is very cruel and dull, and boredom has an effect on the human mind that varies depending on their morale.
    I"m pretty sure when you get to my age there will be some ... less than experienced person ... say something as silly as this and it will probably irritate you almost as much as you have irritated me.

I've experienced one of the most cut off experienced one can serving on a nuclear submarine. Being submerged for months at a time with no contact with the outside world, the only exercise equipment on board being a single stairmaster, and being stuck with the same people the entire time. While I wouldn't call it fun, it sure wasn't anywhere near the end of the world that you're trying to ascribe to the loss of something as inane as the internet (for entertainment).

USPS would love this idea.

I know this is going to sound like an "I had to walk 10 miles to school" speech, but I didn't get my first computer or Internet access until age 12. Also, we only got two channels at the house where I lived until that age (no cable, just an antenna where my Dad had to go outside and climb halfway up a tree and adjust it when we started having signal problems).

Those are both luxuries, not necessities. Considering the fact that I lived just fine up until age 12 without one of those and very limited access to the other, I think I'd get along just fine. I mean, I guess I'd have to give up gaming since most of that is either done online at a computer or on a console hooked up to a TV. That's the only part that'd really suck. But I think I'd be able to deal with it.

Although I can completely understand that younger people who always had access to those things would have a harder time.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-11-10 at 06:23 PM.

Deleted
    I would be fine as long as i still had music...we all get bored and sick from tv and pc eventually in our lives

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go insane within a couple of weeks

I went 30 years without either so I it would be fine to me.

Id be bored out off my mind.

Would maybe even start playing random single player games...*gasp* Witch woulden't come by a steam download!
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    Lol, nope. It would be a lot more boring but no, far from it.