Poll: Are they human?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    You're right, Hitler wasn't so bad, just mis-understood.
    He did after all, kill Hitler........*sunglasses*

Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    Psychopaths lack something that is pretty much key to being human, empathy. Without this, they are dangerous and really give nothing to society. If you lack empathy (humanity), can you be considered truly human? If not, what should be done to psychopaths? Do they deserve to stick around and be a threat to "humans"?

- - - Updated - - -

And no, I am not promoting open season on psychopaths ... although I feel nothing for them. Just asking what people think about this subject.

Am I a psychopath?

By your own definition the answer is clear. More to the point, they are definitely human just human with a neurological disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    And do you for a fact hitler was a sociopath.
    Umm, i think it's been pretty fucking been proven, if you need a refresher just google it, pick any of the first 40 links.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    Not some sad sack driven by misguided emtions and empathy for his desired race?
    Those are called contributing factors. Sorta like ticks, that make him become a sociopath.

10+ Year Old Account
    They can't help the way they are unfortunately. They're just wired that way. Some are treated, some just go bananas and do crazy shit that winds up on the news. But it's not like they aren't human. A bird with clipped wings is still a bird.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Assuming the psychopath is a Homo Sapien and not some odd alien creature, yes, they are human. :P

Of course they are human. Psychopaths may be born without the capability be empathetic, just like someone may be born with out a leg. Neither of them chose that, yet both lack something most humans have and both you just have to learn to live with. I'd go as far as to argue that if you can decide not to feel empathy towards psychopaths or other group of humans, there's something wrong with your sense of empathy, making you no different. I feel empathy towards child molesters; that doesn't mean I think what they did was right, I just understand the motivations behind their actions and thus can judge that what they did was immoral and against the rules of society, not to mention despicable. No matter how hard we judge psychopaths, our lives would be drastically different without them. The truth is that a lot of corporate bosses who made huge capitalistic success stories and are the pillars of our economical system are pure psychopaths who feel nothing for the child slaves producing the cocoa that's in the yummy chocolate you keep snacking on.

Yes.

If we all started considering psychopaths non human they might band together. Due to the ridiculously manipulative and competitive nature of this group(s) it would inevitably implode, but probably after doing some serious damage to the regular population.

Most psychopaths lead normal lives. They learn to be like normal people at a young age, and might have some mannerisms that are off putting and be self centered, but they are able to get along in regular society, and even contribute positively too it. psychopaths are 1% of the human population. The percent that become serial killers, CEO's, and damaging manipulators is probably 1% of that, or even less. You don't have to be a sociopath to be an asshole and selfish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    You're right, Hitler wasn't so bad, just mis-understood.
    You seem to not understand what a sociopath is. Hitler was not one just as Napoleon was not one. If you want a good example of a true sociopathic leader, Stalin is the choicest example. Vlad Teppes (AKA, the Impaler) is another one.

Hitler was manipulative, and had a massive ego, however he displayed no where near the calculating nature most sociopaths who gain power typically employ, or several other tell tale signs of sociopathy.

However one of his closest allies, Himmler, the man in charge of the SS and organizing the Holocaust on the other hand was almost certainly one though.

Deleted
    Psychopaths lack something that is pretty much key to being human, empathy. Without this, they are dangerous and really give nothing to society. If you lack empathy (humanity), can you be considered truly human? If not, what should be done to psychopaths? Do they deserve to stick around and be a threat to "humans"?

- - - Updated - - -

And no, I am not promoting open season on psychopaths ... although I feel nothing for them. Just asking what people think about this subject.
    A psychopath is a person with a mental disorder. For a more mature discussion, let's define that a bit. With wikipedia as a source (i know.), a psychopath is defined by the following traits:
    * Enduring dissocial or antisocial behaviour,
    *Diminished capacity for empathy or remorse,
    * Poor behavious controls or fearless dominance
    Furthermore, the 5th edition of the DSM (Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders) states that:
    "The essential feature of antisocial personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others that begins in childhood or early adolescence and continues into adulthood. This pattern has also been referred to as psychopathy, sociopathy, or dyssocial personality disorder."

Now that we have that out of the way, we can clearly see that what makes a psychopath a psychopath is a group of common traits that most humans experience, have experienced, or will experience at some point. I doubt you see yourself as an extrovert consistently, and act introvert and antisocial at times. Furthermore, your lack of empathy towards psychopaths show nothing but your own lack of empathy. I'm not trying to tie you down here, just to generalize in a way that you might udnerstand.

But if the traits for psychopaths are shared with all humans, what is the difference between them and us? Well, as i have tried to point out, it's extremely difficult to define mental disorders in contrast to medical disorders. The thing most scientists have mostly agreed upon is consistency over time. While normal people may experience a lack of empathy, introversion, neuroticism and dominant behaviour, it's often not permanent. This is both good and bad. Compared to people with feelings, psychopaths is the rather logical human. Psychopaths may have the very specific traits wanted in a CEO position, for example.

The way you generalize that psychopaths are dangerous and might commit murder, is just that, a generalization. It's just like saying that muslims are evil because 9/11. A generalization is nothing if it's not backed up by facts. The term psychopath is a misleading label. You have nothing on how psychopaths are more dangerous or commit more murders than non-pshychopaths.

So for a conclusion, a psychopath is no less human than me, you, or anyone else in this thread (unless someone in here is a cat.).
    Last edited by mmoce3168815c8; 2013-11-10 at 01:00 PM.

Deleted
    Aren't we all psychopaths? Caring about other peoples emotions and feelings is a social construct and doesn't apply in reality.

You can't do anything in life without hurting other peoples emotions. You can't find love because there will almost always be someone before you whose feelings are being hurt by your love. You can't get a job because there is always someone who needs that job more than you. You can't educate yourself as you want because your personal preferences and choices can have a negative effect on the economy and therefor other peoples lives. Etc etc.

We need to be a bit psychopathic to survive in this world.

1. Offensive to psychopaths? Haha... wow. That's like saying "Wow, that's offensive to child molesters!"
    Pedophilia is a disease. That's like saying "Wow, that's offensive to people with OCD."
    2. Plenty of things have the same insides ... but it's our brain that makes us different from everything else in this world.
    K.
    3. So you are saying being brown or liking men is comparable to apathy? Wow...
    No, he's comparing a physical aspect of a person they can't control to a differnet physical aspect they can't control.
    4. Not all of them are murderers, but psychopaths will do anything that will get them that they want at the expensive of the rest of the world. Many of our politicians are psychopaths because psychopaths are attracted to power. Psychopaths would destroy humanity if they had the chance if it would grant them something in turn.
    With your first three comments I had a feeling you had no idea what you're talking about, this clinches it.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

1. Offensive to psychopaths? Haha... wow. That's like saying "Wow, that's offensive to child molesters!"
    2. Plenty of things have the same insides ... but it's our brain that makes us different from everything else in this world.
    3. So you are saying being brown or liking men is comparable to apathy? Wow...
    4. Not all of them are murderers, but psychopaths will do anything that will get them that they want at the expensive of the rest of the world. Many of our politicians are psychopaths because psychopaths are attracted to power. Psychopaths would destroy humanity if they had the chance if it would grant them something in turn.
    Ok so you are basically clueless guy with iq of fire extinguisher who heard something on TV and thinks that psycopaths are emotionless robots who want to destroy the world. K gotcha... You might want to consider vasectomy btw.

Deleted
    They have an excuse because they can't comprehend the world around them to the same extent. Psychopaths don't have the same problem.
    They don't understand empathy either. Either include all mental disorders or don't do any.

10+ Year Old Account
    This question, I don't even know. Is a vegetarian Tiger a Tiger?
    -K

Most CEOs and politicians fall under the category of a psychopath

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...176019901.html

No, they're not human.
    They are badgers.
    I believe scientists confirmed this.

I am a psychopath and I have never killed anyone. Ask me anything!
    CompTIA A+ Computer technician, 7 years and counting...

Retired WoW Heroic Raider, currently playing DOTA 2 competitively.

Deleted
    Yes, they're still humans. You don't magically transform into an owl or a rock for having a mental disorder.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Suprm View Post
    This question, I don't even know. Is a vegetarian Tiger a Tiger?
    Is it a tiger ? Sure. But a dead one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    "Anyone who makes a lot of money is probably a psychopath."

I'll have to put this one in my book of amazing quotes.
    Not what I said, I picked out a few cut throat jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Just because someone values themselves above everyone else that they step on as they rise to success doesn't mean they don't feel empathy, just that they ignore it.
    Yet empirical evidence suggests otherwise. I'm not saying everyone in a good job or has money is a psychopath. When I say significant, I'm talking like 1 in 20, in fact here's an article that put's it closer to 1 in 25.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/09/2...e-psychopaths/

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. What else would you call them? Are they aliens or something?
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe