Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Every time someone uses the term "rose tinted glasses" you know you've already won, as that is all they have in that limited repertoire. No use even talking with them, limited capacity for any meaningful dialogue is just not there.

Vanilla no thanks but TBC/WotLK? Yeah, why the hell not. Considering most competitive PvP play is at 3.3.5. They could easily populate a server to full.

Why no Vanilla? Outside of raiding it was pretty much inbalanced, terrible itemization and class system (seriously palas were useless as well as enhance shammies).
    Last edited by Suprm; 2013-11-09 at 11:25 PM.
    CASE: Coolermaster Cosmos 2 / MOBO: Asus Maximus Hero VI / CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.2Ghz 1.184v (delidded) / GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 3GB 1173MHz, 6589MHz, 1.2v / RAM: G.Skill Trident-X 16GB 2400Mhz / PSU: Corsair AX860 Platinum / BOOT: Samsung 840 256GB x2 Raid 0 /

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    So your happy that they arent adding something a lot of people would find enjoyable?

What does that make you as a person.

And yeah, they can do whatever, if I want to play it theres a million private servers.
    Once you get to realization of beating classic what was all that time wasted for? You'll relive the game for maybe a year at max, during that time in which they could have spent coding NEW content. It's a waste of coding, the story has already been told.

There's no point in experiencing the bugs/problems associated with the past. It's best to keep moving forward.
    “It is either easy or impossible.” - Salvador Dali

WoW characters:
    Blitzo[Warrior] -Rex[Hunter] -Jax [Warlock]

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    "Have you ever thought about adding servers for previous expansions"

"No."

Best news we've had all day
    Because you'd have been forced to play on them, if they were brought online?
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

Did anyone really still think that Blizzard will offer such servers? I mean...not hoping, but really thinking so? That's kinda naive.

Blizzard's stubbornness on this topic has always perplexed me. Other MMO companies have had success introducing nostalgia servers, and in WoW's case - because old expacs had not only different content but radically different class balance and mechanics - there is a tremendous wealth of untapped potential there. Yet Blizz not only doesn't consider it, they seem to regard it as heresy.

I guess the world of private servers - and all the obviously deluded people with their "rose-colored glasses" that have tricked themselves into thinking they're having fun when they clearly can't be - shall endure for the foreseeable future.

"No."

Granted they also dropped the idea of player housing long ago.. and now look.

If older expansion servers did ever exist I really doubt it would ever happen until the expansions are ended and WoW is just sitting in it's final state with a handful of servers remaining. At that point it might not be a bad idea to repurpose a few for older expansions if it brought some players back in, but not until then.

Doing a quick google, you can find Vanilla Private servers that are run much like they were at that time (no exp boosts etc)

I challenge you to go and play on one and tell us how it really was, in a word, it was terrible, we just didn't know it since it was all that was available at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    Did anyone really still think that Blizzard will offer such servers? I mean...not hoping, but really thinking so? That's kinda naive.
    I bet they will eventually once WoW's fame dies even further (probably within next 5 years). If not, well emulated servers will simply become bigger in community sizes than they are now.
    CASE: Coolermaster Cosmos 2 / MOBO: Asus Maximus Hero VI / CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.2Ghz 1.184v (delidded) / GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 3GB 1173MHz, 6589MHz, 1.2v / RAM: G.Skill Trident-X 16GB 2400Mhz / PSU: Corsair AX860 Platinum / BOOT: Samsung 840 256GB x2 Raid 0 /

Quote Originally Posted by Suprm View Post
    I bet they will eventually once WoW's fame dies even further (probably within next 5 years).
    Seems very unlikely. Yes, there are people who want such servers - but I doubt that there are anywhere as much as there would need to be to justify the costs/effort.

And I don't think that emulated servers will become much more popular than they are now.
    Why? There won't suddenly be 100% more people that want to play on Vanilla servers. Most who want to probably already do.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    Once you get to realization of beating classic what was all that time wasted for? You'll relive the game for maybe a year at max, during that time in which they could have spent coding NEW content. It's a waste of coding, the story has already been told.

There's no point in experiencing the bugs/problems associated with the past. It's best to keep moving forward.
    Ah well in that case, ill go throw out my pokemon yellow, and my gamecube, PS2 might make some scrap money. (we done being stupid or is this argument really going to continue?)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    You have any numbers on how many people use private servers?

Didn't think so.
    Off the top of my head, --SNIP-- WoW - 30,000 active - 6,000 daily

Most servers are scattered small communities with a max playerbase of 1000 or so. Regardless theres an interest in it, whether or not you want to look is upto you. Edit: even 1 server would be a cool nod, and a test to see if there is interest.

----------

I think what astounds me most is the absolute disrespect some posters have on here. I dont know what age you all are, but even a teenager knows the difference between an opinion and a fact. You can scream till your blue in the face, but it wont change the fact that people have different opinions. Im not sure if its a fanboy thing either, I get it, some people like to overinvest in WoW, however your not entitled to come to a discussion forum and tout your opinion as fact.

(edit for mods: woops, forgot not to post actual names)
    Last edited by Tommo; 2013-11-09 at 11:44 PM.

Let the people with misguided sense of nostalgia play on private servers for a couple of weeks before realizing they're wrong and quitting that too as it happens today already. No need for vanilla servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Suprm View Post
    I bet they will eventually once WoW's fame dies even further (probably within next 5 years). If not, well emulated servers will simply become bigger in community sizes than they are now.
    Yah. This. I mean, if WoW was die'n then obviously putting up some old servers would bring tons of people back who had abandoned the game several years earlier. I know of a few friends who all stopped playing 7 years ago after getting married and becoming adults that would definitely come back to WoW if there were vanilla servers.

#absurd#idiotic#vanillaisoverthankfully

Not sure if people realistically think that vanilla server will be true. Playable Kobold is more likely to be true.

I think one big reason people forget for private servers is the fact they are free... I know several people that play on a private server for just this reason alone. They just want to play WoW without spending a penny, they don't really care what version it is.

(Obviously anecdotal, but still... how many of those on private servers would really pay for the same thing but run by Blizzard?)

Rarely updated...

They'll always consider things when there's enough interest

Vanilla servers on yak confirmed
    Half life 3 confirmed

I once tried a vanilla private server which didn't have bugs or problems and it was a normal one without stupid gimmicks.

It sucked.
    Signature and Avatar by ElyPop

"No."

We will get them anyway, maybe even with the 10th annuary.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahnold View Post
    We will get them anyway, maybe even with the 10th annuary.
    Sure. Together with the dance studio and General Drakkisath as the Horde warchief.